Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 06:55:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin soda machine no?  (Read 1604 times)
slippyrocks (OP)

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

respecttheslider

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 04:50:58 PM
Last edit: April 04, 2013, 05:49:14 PM by slippyrocks

good way to start out small and possible place to buy sell btc

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hiima

Activity: 112

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 06:24:46 PM

Do you mean bitcoin atm?

Whiskey Fund BTC 1K2SG4amzNrB7gUwf5braHuExqnQ5nEKZp LTC Lgoz9gb7q39FMAmBz8odfkx4YFhLeofCpc
Snowfire

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 05:22:39 PM

OK if you don't mind standing in front of the machine for 10+ minutes while the transaction clears so it can finally deliver your Coke.

BTC:1Ca1YU6rCqCHniNj6BvypHbaHYp32t2ubp XRP: rpVbjBotUFCoi9xPu3BqYXZhTLpgZbQpoZ
LTC:LRNTGhyymtNQ7uWeMQXdoEfP5Mryx2c62i :FC: 6qzaJCrowtyepN5LgdpQaTy94JuxmKmdF7
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 05:37:58 PM

OK if you don't mind standing in front of the machine for 10+ minutes while the transaction clears so it can finally deliver your Coke.

Good point.  Not to mention, the Coke machine would have to be connected to the Internet.  However, if we get to a point where cheap WiFi can be located everywhere, I wouldn't complain.

nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 05:42:05 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2013, 06:45:22 PM by nobbynobbynoob

Zero-confirmation vending machine?

Mind you, I could envisage some low-moral-fiber nerdy kids double spending BTC for a free soda the way they manipulated analog payphones in the 1960s to make free calls.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 05:45:45 PM

I think this is beginning to show that there might be a need for someone to make more offline options for Bitcoin Tongue
christop

Activity: 84

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 06:32:12 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Myths#Point_of_sale_with_bitcoins_isn.27t_possible_because_of_the_10_minute_wait_for_confirmation

Zero-confirmation vending machine?

Mind you, I cauld envisage some low-moral-fiber nerdy kids double spending BTC for a free soda the way they manipulated analog payphones in the 1960s to make free calls.
Double-spending attacks are not very reliable nor practical. One would end up buying many, many sodas before getting lucky enough to get that one free soda. I'm sure vendors can easily accept something like a 1% or less double-spend risk; some vending machines even take credit cards, and those have even higher fees to cover chargebacks. A sub-1% "fee", plus not having to regularly collect coins and bills from each machine, should be seen as an advantage over cash and credit cards.

Tips are always welcome: 17Z63hLi2ox4fCMhDqVJrLTJiXVcBMJpMo
Alpaca socks donations: 1sockzDWcF8mrC59CgiN7HAJm6xL7TiRW
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:03:13 PM

Just curious; if a payment had just one confirmation, what are the odds that it isn't legitimate?

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 07:12:01 PM

To do this, all you need is a QR code reader that can read a private key, in the form factor of a bill acceptor.  The hardware may already exist, needing only the right software development.  At the local gas station, the gas pumps have barcode readers for scanning loyalty cards.  That sort of thing could easily be modified into a bitcoin bill acceptor.  That particular device probably won't read QR, but it's possible to encode a minikey into a linear barcode using Code 128 symbology (I've done it, you get a barcode about 3 inches long).

It can take the amount off and send the change to the same bitcoin address it took it from.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
christop

Activity: 84

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:13:57 PM

To do this, all you need is a QR code reader that can read a private key, in the form factor of a bill acceptor.  The hardware may already exist, needing only the right software development.  At the local gas station, the gas pumps have barcode readers for scanning loyalty cards.  That sort of thing could easily be modified into a bitcoin bill acceptor.  That particular device probably won't read QR, but it's possible to encode a minikey into a linear barcode using Code 128 symbology (I've done it, you get a barcode about 3 inches long).

It can take the amount off and send the change to the same bitcoin address it took it from.
Are you saying this from the context of having a de facto standard paper bill format for bitcoins? I can see how that would work from a technical standpoint, and I think I now understand the purpose of printing out bitcoins onto bills of different denominations.

The only minor issue I can think of is what to do with the remainder on the bill. Should you send it to a fresh new bill and throw away the used bill? After all, the private key is possibly compromised once it was scanned at the POS terminal (or you can trust that the merchant does not retain a copy of the key).

Tips are always welcome: 17Z63hLi2ox4fCMhDqVJrLTJiXVcBMJpMo
Alpaca socks donations: 1sockzDWcF8mrC59CgiN7HAJm6xL7TiRW
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 09:54:03 PM

Are you saying this from the context of having a de facto standard paper bill format for bitcoins? I can see how that would work from a technical standpoint, and I think I now understand the purpose of printing out bitcoins onto bills of different denominations.

It doesn't need to be any specific format.  The user simply needs to hold it up to the machine so the code can be scanned.

The only minor issue I can think of is what to do with the remainder on the bill. Should you send it to a fresh new bill and throw away the used bill? After all, the private key is possibly compromised once it was scanned at the POS terminal (or you can trust that the merchant does not retain a copy of the key).

If the bill only contains pocket change it's not a big deal.  I doubt many machines will be programmed to scam customers.  This could already happen today (gas pumps, credit card vending) but overall it doesn't.  Just think - even today, each time the gas pump asks "PRINT RECEIPT" and you press "NO", they could program it to scam you an extra $5 and you'd probably never notice or be able to prove it because they know you don't care about the receipt.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
chriswen

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 03:56:17 AM

How about getting the pop machine to broadcast your transaction?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: