Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 12:51:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I know nothing about Linux but don't be a dick to me  (Read 3233 times)
flaxceed (OP)

Activity: 389
Merit: 250

>>Note new email flaxceed@tormail.org<<

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 06:34:00 AM

I want to put Linuxcoin on a thumbdrive and I am using Partition Wizard.  When I tried to create a partition for my wallet and one for Linuxcoin and one for junk, the software tells me that I have to delete all partitions first.  So I did this, and then I started with a 1mb partition for Linuxcoin.  But now that I have done this when I try to access the unallocated space and make another partition, it tells me I have to delete all of the partitions first!

//////////////////////////////////////////////
>>>>>>flaxceed@tormail.org<<<<<<
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

>>>  NOTE:  This is a new email address.  It is now tormail.org, and no longer tormail.net!  <<<

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nemo

Activity: 500
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 06:43:34 AM

Hi, I love your title, technical people do tend to be dicks. I'm nice, which probably means I have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about. However, I've tried to partition a thumbdrive before and after lots of heartache I found out that you need special software to do it. I was able to create a partition after a while, but the rest of the drive went away, so it was totally pointless. In closing, partitioning a thumbdrive is either not easy, or not possible. At least in windows. I'm only posting this so you can start thinking about other alternatives in case nobody has an answer for you. Otherwise, sorry for the spam.
flaxceed (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 06:48:28 AM

Hey Nemo thanks a bunch for your help.  I might just buy another thumb drive!!!!  LOL.  No worries.  I wish this to become the "stupid question thread".

I could not find much using searches- I am curious about video card memory.  I think I will buy one or more ATI Radeon 6950's because they are pretty power-efficient and not horribly expensive.  But will the 1GB version be OK?  I saw this on newegg and it looks pretty good:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150527&cm_re=radeon_6950-_-14-150-527-_-Product

Any comments on that card for mining?

>>>  NOTE:  This is a new email address.  It is now tormail.org, and no longer tormail.net!  <<<

nemo

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 06:52:18 AM

The memory on the video doesn't matter one bit. Actually, I under-clocked my video card's memory savagely (from 1000mhz to 300mhz) and it increased my mhash rate by about 10 percent and lowered my over all temps by maybe 3 - 4 degrees celcius. Don't worry about memory at all.

Edit: I looked at your card. That looks like an ok buy, a great buy if you plan on overclocking and tweaking the shit out of it. Have a look at this: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison chart of hardware, but from what I learned about the bitcoin game is that you need to execute as soon as possible seeing as how time is always an issue.
flaxceed (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 06:58:10 AM

Amazing!!!!!  Why does underclocking the memory increase the hash rate?

nemo

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:00:19 AM

I honestly don't know. Thats just what the triggers (-k -q agression=12 and all of that) I use work best with. I noticed that there are other combinations that ask you to run your memory at stock clock rates though. Maybe someone here could expand on that.
flaxceed (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:08:43 AM

I wonder if overclocking is a bad deal if you have expensive power?

flaxceed (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:12:47 AM

Maybe this is a better way to go:

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I-SL-DVI-D-PCI-Express-100314-2SR/dp/B004E0KV3I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1308035445&sr=8-4

nemo

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:14:52 AM
Last edit: June 14, 2011, 07:30:18 AM by nemo

It's no different than buying a better card and running it at stock.

Edit: No, go with the first card. If you're worried about a 20 dollar difference, then go with the newer card that can hash more and resell better.

Double Edit: My bad, I just saw the rebate, I'd still get the 2 6950s and get more mhashes for less power. You can probably flash them to 6970s, but I bet the pipes are laser cut and it's pointless, unless someone could comment.
flaxceed (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:35:16 AM

Are you  using LinuxCoin btw?

Crystal Excursion

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

I'm Crazy about Bitcoin, trading Quartz for BTC

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 07:44:44 AM

I want to put Linuxcoin on a thumbdrive and I am using Partition Wizard.  When I tried to create a partition for my wallet and one for Linuxcoin and one for junk, the software tells me that I have to delete all partitions first.  So I did this, and then I started with a 1mb partition for Linuxcoin.  But now that I have done this when I try to access the unallocated space and make another partition, it tells me I have to delete all of the partitions first!

Try This... http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/unetbootin/wiki/guide

Hey.. Skype Me.. Beffjaker
see my website, PM if Interested, Thanks !
flaxceed (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 11:30:00 AM

Thanks CE!!!  Very cool.

film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 07:21:29 PM

This reminds me of an idea I had once,but cus I kno very little about linux,I can't pull it off.

If a more experienced linux user can help to create a customised iso of a linux distro for me, that has bitcoin installed and setup so that when I format a USB stick and boot from it,i can finally unplug all my HDD/DVD writer to reduce power consumption and reduce the strain on my PSU by not running unnecessary drives when mining.

I am currently doing experiments with BTC that concern trying to get the very best from a old card (Radeon HD 4670) that has been overclocked to the max but I wonder how i can overclock more than what Catalyst allows me to on that card.How can I do this?

I can't yet add an SSD due to budget issues.current 'budget' SSDs seem to have problems and very small capacity (I need about 128GB+ SSD as my win 7 x64 install is now too big 2 fit onto an 80GB SSD)

so I'm using a USB stick instead as they use virtually no power in my case (too small to measure on the watt meter)

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
tito13kfm

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 07:42:43 PM

I wonder if overclocking is a bad deal if you have expensive power?

At the moment, no.

Stock 725MHz, 151 Watts, 264MH/sec
OCed 960MHz, 201 Watts, 375MH/sec  (memory underclocked)

Assume ridiculously expenisve power.  $.50 per KWh

At current difficulty and exchange rate
Overclocked will earn you $5.76 per day after power costs
Stock will earn you $3.94 per day after power costs
Crystal Excursion

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

I'm Crazy about Bitcoin, trading Quartz for BTC

View Profile WWW
June 16, 2011, 07:50:23 PM

This reminds me of an idea I had once,but cus I kno very little about linux,I can't pull it off.

If a more experienced linux user can help to create a customised iso of a linux distro for me, that has bitcoin installed and setup so that when I format a USB stick and boot from it,i can finally unplug all my HDD/DVD writer to reduce power consumption and reduce the strain on my PSU by not running unnecessary drives when mining.

I am currently doing experiments with BTC that concern trying to get the very best from a old card (Radeon HD 4670) that has been overclocked to the max but I wonder how i can overclock more than what Catalyst allows me to on that card.How can I do this?

I can't yet add an SSD due to budget issues.current 'budget' SSDs seem to have problems and very small capacity (I need about 128GB+ SSD as my win 7 x64 install is now too big 2 fit onto an 80GB SSD)

so I'm using a USB stick instead as they use virtually no power in my case (too small to measure on the watt meter)

You might find yourself going in this direction... http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

Hey.. Skype Me.. Beffjaker
see my website, PM if Interested, Thanks !
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: