Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 09:55:47 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL buyers - Damned if you do, Damned if you don't?  (Read 2401 times)
minternj

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 07:26:09 PM

Avalon is sending out 1200 units and 490.000 chips, am i correct? That would come to somewhere around 240th/s if about 80% of the units are 85gh/s ones...

Hm, might work. We could also consider a quintupling of hash rate. Still profitable... still way more than 10% on an investment in twelve months...

Keep going. Avalon is still taking orders for chips. Asicminer will be building more blades. BFL will start shipping in volume. If you believe BFL (why would you order if you didn't?), they can ship 300 TH/s in a single month.

Very hard to say whats profitable since no one can forecast the exchange rate. Hash rate i think is contingent on exchange rate. If btc drops to $2, still think there's a quintuple in hash rate?  there's some correlation there. Forgot who posted it , but saw someone else chart this.

Warning about Nitrogensports.eu
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=709114.0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Schrankwand

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 07:29:45 PM

Avalon is sending out 1200 units and 490.000 chips, am i correct? That would come to somewhere around 240th/s if about 80% of the units are 85gh/s ones...

Hm, might work. We could also consider a quintupling of hash rate. Still profitable... still way more than 10% on an investment in twelve months...

Keep going. Avalon is still taking orders for chips. Asicminer will be building more blades. BFL will start shipping in volume. If you believe BFL (why would you order if you didn't?), they can ship 300 TH/s in a single month.

Very hard to say whats profitable since no one can forecast the exchange rate. Hash rate i think is contingent on exchange rate. If btc drops to $2, still think there's a quintuple in hash rate?  there's some correlation there. Forgot who posted it , but saw someone else chart this.

I'd be actually quite interested in historical market data and difficulty data.

I'd love to do some analysis on it after i am finished with my current research project.
Taking all the cryptocoins and running statistics on them like crazy might be interesting.

Not too worthwhile, but enough to see what is going on.

But if it drops to $2, we will see one thing especially: ASICs sales on ebay. I know i will be buying...
Malawi

One bitcoin to rule them all!

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 08:56:00 PM

Sure is. But when there are a lot of units doing 5GH at 40W, and those units have no other function, I don't see them beeing turned off.
With a difficulty of 300 millions and a BTC price of 2USD, they still make a produce more money than the cost of the electricity they consume.

Not to mention that you can sell the unit to someone who think the price might rise to $4, $10 or even (gasp) $15.

BitCoin is NOT a pyramid - it's a pagoda.
minternj

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 09:02:33 PM

Very hard to say whats profitable since no one can forecast the exchange rate. Hash rate i think is contingent on exchange rate. If btc drops to $2, still think there's a quintuple in hash rate?  there's some correlation there. Forgot who posted it , but saw someone else chart this.

Sure is. But when there are a lot of units doing 5GH at 40W, and those units have no other function, I don't see them beeing turned off.
With a difficulty of 300 millions and a BTC price of 2USD, they still make a produce more money than the cost of the electricity they consume.

Not to mention that you can sell the unit to someone who think the price might rise to $4, $10 or even (gasp) $15.

Right but barely profitable at that point, the opportunity cost of money better spent on anything else(bonds and eww- bank interest). People would stop ading more asics, unless they are thinking like amazon.com make up the low profit margin with HUGE volume. So hash rate would stop rising inversely to btc price.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 09:14:36 PM

I've been thinking about this conundrum for a while now... here's my thoughts.

For those of you who have been patiently waiting for BFL to actually start shipping in anything that would resemble 'decent' numbers I feel bad for you. Because you are stuck in a pretty tight situation.

1. If you wait for your unit, it could still be a while -- and once you get it, the network difficulty is going to shoot up something fierce. So, you may be thinking... I want to unload my unit before that happens.

2. If you unload our unit before you get it, its still a pre-order and as such is going to get a pre-order price and everyone is skeptical about BFL right now... thus the price isn't going to be high.

3. If you wait until you receive the unit, the market will be flooded with units in hand that others are selling which will hammer down the price. If you decide not to sell it, your in situation #1 -- the difficulty making 5 GH/S or 60 GH/S not mine like what was expected.

Tough spot man Sad
Here is what you do,

You have a  BFL pre-order. Hopefully for a Jally or Single or something. Check? Good.

1) Sell it on Ebay, for 60k, the prices over there are crazy for Mining devices.

With that money, if it's not held by Paypal. You are responsible and on the hook for delivery instead of BFL. Great.

2) When they fail to deliver your order, simply panic and refund 60K as well as have your Paypal card revoked. Sucks right?

3) Sell a non-existent pre-order on "a wing and a prayer" and get your customer to pay you in BTC. That way you can join in on the "scam" of (yet to be built) Pre-Orders.

You will be like a BFL Mini-me.

Sounds great right?

---------------------------

Alot of people in the near future are going to lose either:

A) Their Paypal Privileges and cards/Accounts.

B) Their shirts and shoes when they spend that money initially and have to then give it back because they couldn't take delivery.

C) Turn into BTC black holes as people demand their money back when the deliveries aren't shipped on time.

D) Immigrate to Jamaica or Cuba.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 09:15:33 PM

Waiting?  You act like its waiting in a line...  It should have physically taken you no longer than 20mins to place your order and cancel it. 

Geez, talk about first world problems....
There is currently a waiting time of 2 weeks for email responses and therefore....for refunds.
Red_Evil

Activity: 1484
Merit: 500

Across The Universe

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 09:22:42 PM

Waiting?  You act like its waiting in a line...  It should have physically taken you no longer than 20mins to place your order and cancel it. 

Geez, talk about first world problems....
There is currently a waiting time of 2 weeks for email responses and therefore....for refunds.

Or more last time i need 4 Weeks to Clearify a simple Question ...
Which Payment date i got ?
The answer was #20** Number ( Payed via Bitinstant )
wrenchmonkey

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 09:32:25 PM

Yup, this has nothing to do with anybody being damned. Those who stay in are choosing to ride the speculation wave on their investment. Those who don't are choosing to cut their losses. Pre-orders are always a speculative buy.

The idea of "Sunk Cost" in game theory is the only thing that fools people into thinking they're damned if they don't. They've got a lot of emotional investment, but they'll walk away with exactly the same amount of money they invested, if they chose to walk away.

If they chose to stay, they're still riding the speculation wave. Whether they win on it is another matter. And many people will continue to play the "what if" game, whether they choose to stick it out, or not.

No matter what people decide, some of them will be kicking themselves, and others will be patting themselves on the back...

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 09:36:07 PM

Yup, this has nothing to do with anybody being damned. Those who stay in are choosing to ride the speculation wave on their investment. Those who don't are choosing to cut their losses. Pre-orders are always a speculative buy.

The idea of "Sunk Cost" in game theory is the only thing that fools people into thinking they're damned if they don't. They've got a lot of emotional investment, but they'll walk away with exactly the same amount of money they invested, if they chose to walk away.

If they chose to stay, they're still riding the speculation wave. Whether they win on it is another matter. And many people will continue to play the "what if" game, whether they choose to stick it out, or not.

No matter what people decide, some of them will be kicking themselves, and others will be patting themselves on the back...
There is no "cut their losses".  Maybe "cut their opportunity costs".  But everyone gets a full refund, so no losses...
wrenchmonkey

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 09:40:45 PM

There is no "cut their losses".  Maybe "cut their opportunity costs".  But everyone gets a full refund, so no losses...

I thought I clarified that as saying that the only "losses" are emotional ones. But yes, that's the point I was trying to make.

Block Erupter Overclocking 447 M/Hash, .006 (discounts if done in quantity) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=300206.msg3218480#msg3218480

Buy and sell mining shares (Bitfury). https://cex.io/r/1/wrenchmonkey/0/
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 09:43:25 PM

Not really, they can just cancel their order and go on with life.  Nobody is forcing them to do anything.  Of course its risky....

I like your attitude.

Life goes on, for most of us, no matter what... until it doesn't.

Noisy thread.

Activity: 756

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 10:24:43 PM

The network hashrate hasn't gone up anywhere near what most people thought. GPU mining is still proftiable; of course BFL rig mining will be profitable; they'll get the hardware and mine with it!

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
minternj

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 10:39:53 PM

The network hashrate hasn't gone up anywhere near what most people thought. GPU mining is still proftiable; of course BFL rig mining will be profitable; they'll get the hardware and mine with it!

Thats only because asics are delayed. They calculated in all the hash * orders.

Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 10:50:35 PM

How does anyone know the hashrate?

I emailed Butterfly a couple of weeks back and was given the following response:

I apologize. We do not share the number of TH that has been sold.

So I anything else is a best guesstimate, is it not?

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
minternj

View Profile
May 03, 2013, 10:52:52 PM

Correct. guess on the # of orders, also that spreadsheet thats out that has people orders. Not entirely accurate since people haven't addded themselves(or removed themselves).

Bicknellski

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 07:10:26 AM

Or just damned?

Dogie trust abuse, spam, bullying, conspiracy posts & insults to forum members. Ask the mods or admins to move Dogie's spam or off topic stalking posts to the link above.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: