Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 12:47:45 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2016-11-06] Bitcoin and Gann’s Square of Nine  (Read 324 times)
Karartma1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 07:16:41 AM

I realize that this column is meant to be focused on price analysis of the major cryptocurrencies, rather than on trading in general.  But it is difficult to write a new article every day, particularly when not much has changed in the charts in the last 24 hours!

That is the case today.  Bitcoin has recovered a little bit of the ground it lost, but not enough to have made any change in the chart. Ethereum is likewise virtually unchanged as well.  So, I thought I would take a look at Gann’s Square of Nine and see if it can offer any insight into Support and Resistance on Bitcoin’s chart.

Read more
https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/bitcoin-ganns-square-nine/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 02:40:26 PM

I knew a trader that was really into Gann.

The problem with Gann is, you have this scattershot of lines and squares and 'rays' all over the goddamned place - so eventually price will reverse from one of these lines and form a top or a bottom - but by pure chance.

To the Gann practitioner, however, this meant that the "1x4 Line Is Strong Support" or some such nonsense. To the rational price technician, it just meant that overlaying a bazillion lines means you get some kind of coincidental intersection.

I find his time-related work more interesting, but its of the simple variety using the square of number representing time interals and such, and the same thing applies - you throw out a million different combos, and one will "stick" eventually.

The Gann trader I know would wax poetic about all the seeming "confirmations" that price had on a chart overlaid with a thick haze of lines, and all I could think every time was "no shit, you have very little on that chart that ISN'T A FUCKING LINE."

I wish I could give you a happy ending to that story, but the Gann trader I knew doesn't really trade anymore. I guess you could say they never knew how to trade, and the market made sure to deprive them of any capital to continue their self-fed delusion.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
Karartma1 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2310
Merit: 1422

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 06:42:58 PM

I knew a trader that was really into Gann.

The problem with Gann is, you have this scattershot of lines and squares and 'rays' all over the goddamned place - so eventually price will reverse from one of these lines and form a top or a bottom - but by pure chance.

To the Gann practitioner, however, this meant that the "1x4 Line Is Strong Support" or some such nonsense. To the rational price technician, it just meant that overlaying a bazillion lines means you get some kind of coincidental intersection.

I find his time-related work more interesting, but its of the simple variety using the square of number representing time interals and such, and the same thing applies - you throw out a million different combos, and one will "stick" eventually.

The Gann trader I know would wax poetic about all the seeming "confirmations" that price had on a chart overlaid with a thick haze of lines, and all I could think every time was "no shit, you have very little on that chart that ISN'T A FUCKING LINE."

I wish I could give you a happy ending to that story, but the Gann trader I knew doesn't really trade anymore. I guess you could say they never knew how to trade, and the market made sure to deprive them of any capital to continue their self-fed delusion.

LOL
 Grin

Reading the article and researching some more around  I kind of got to your very own conclusions. I personally don't know anybody who has ever used this method but I kind of understand why.  Cool
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: