Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:18:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: secure your wallet.  (Read 2246 times)
jhansen858 (OP)

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 06:57:28 AM

After reading all the people losing their money to hackers I just wanted to remind people

SECURE YOUR FUCKING WALLET

you wouldn't leave a box of $100 bills laying out on the street would you?

Well here is how you do it.

http://btcbids.com/secure_your_wallet.pdf

Please don't hate this guide took me 20 minutes to write.  I'll improve on it if i can get some love up in here.

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p
Every time a block is mined, a certain amount of BTC (called the subsidy) is created out of thin air and given to the miner. The subsidy halves every four years and will reach 0 in about 130 years.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
bcearl

Activity: 168
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:05:09 AM

You should better create a second user with encrypted home on Ubuntu than using TrueCrypt.

Misspelling protects against dictionary attacks NOT
SlaveInDebt

Activity: 699
Merit: 500

Your Minion

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:13:01 AM

Please don't hate this guide took me 20 minutes to write.  I'll improve on it if i can get some love up in here.

You should better create a second user with encrypted home on Ubuntu than using TrueCrypt.

What do you know Roll Eyes

Send funds to wallet, copy and encrypt wallet.dat to several flash drives, bury flash drives in various unknown locations in the ground.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
bcearl

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:14:14 AM

Send funds to wallet, copy and encrypt wallet.dat to several flash drives, bury flash drives in various unknown locations in the ground.

You cannot protect a copyied wallet. You have to create it in the secure space.

SlaveInDebt

Your Minion

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:20:41 AM

Send funds to new wallet.dat address, copy and encrypt wallet.dat to several flash drives, bury flash drives in various unknown locations in the ground, use different wallet for day to day transactions.

You cannot protect a copyied wallet. You have to create it in the secure space.

Let me correct/clarify then.

"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining, but wants it back the minute it begins to rain." - Mark Twain
bcearl

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:25:57 AM

That's not enough either. Your original wallet is not destroyed by deleting the file. There may still be traces.

If you want to bury a savings wallet, you have to create it in the encrypted space and send the coins to it.

swusc2

Activity: 304

Do your part for Bitcoin!

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:31:22 AM

That's not enough either. Your original wallet is not destroyed by deleting the file. There may still be traces.

If you want to bury a savings wallet, you have to create it in the encrypted space and send the coins to it.

I you make an encrypted space on a USB and move the entire Users\User Name\AppData\Bitcoin (for windows 7) over there you can actually direct Bitcoin to load data from the encrypted location instead of the standard location through a extra command. When you delete that folder that contains your wallet file, if you start Bitcoin without directing it to the encrypted location it will just create a totally new wallet.

The wiki post tells you how to do it.

Impress your friends! Buy a bitcoin keychain!
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=30799.0
bcearl

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:35:17 AM

I you make an encrypted space on a USB and move the entire Users\User Name\AppData\Bitcoin (for windows 7) over there you can actually direct Bitcoin to load data from the encrypted location instead of the standard location through a extra command. When you delete that folder that contains your wallet file, if you start Bitcoin without directing it to the encrypted location it will just create a totally new wallet.

The wiki post tells you how to do it.

That's not the problem. The problem is that it cannot removed from the old location securely.

SlaveInDebt

Your Minion

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:36:58 AM

Lets just kill each other off so no one can steal. There will always be theft no matter what you or I do unless we are all gone. If someone wants it bad enough they will get it.

jhansen858 (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:42:07 AM

My directions specifically state to create the wallet in the encrypted container...

Dayofswords

Activity: 138
Merit: 11

Exchange BTC in Telegram https://bit.ly/2MEfiw8

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 07:44:58 AM

dd it a few times then.

BTC Banker - Exchange BTC in Telegram bot https://bit.ly/2MEfiw8
bcearl

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:45:23 AM

My directions specifically state to create the wallet in the encrypted container...

Yes, your directions work. But I would trust ecryptfs a lot more than TrueCrypt.

bcearl

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:46:27 AM

dd it a few times then.

You never know what happens on modern hardware. A modern HDD isn't a floppy. And a modern flash drive is even more complicated.

Dude65535

Activity: 126
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 07:54:00 AM

TrueCrypt has some nice features. Such as hidden volumes. You could keep a dummy wallet with a modest balance in the main TrueCrypt volume and you true wallet in the hidden volume in case you were forced to decrypt the file.

1DCj8ZwGZXQqQhgv6eUEnWgsxo8BTMj3mT
bcearl

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 08:03:34 AM

TrueCrypt has some nice features. Such as hidden volumes. You could keep a dummy wallet with a modest balance in the main TrueCrypt volume and you true wallet in the hidden volume in case you were forced to decrypt the file.

That feature is only useful when somebody forces you by violence to release your coins.

I don't see any benefit for the usual use case. With no benefit, more features mean more complicated setup. That means more mistakes can be made. You can do that if you like, but you should not recommend it in forums where newbies are reading your advice.

jhansen858 (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 08:04:53 AM

Have you used truecrypt.  Its dirt fucking simple..

Even and idiot like me can do it.

Plus I specifically state, DON"T LISTEN TO ME

I can see you didn't read the entire thing.

bcearl

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 08:08:11 AM

Have you used truecrypt.  Its dirt fucking simple..

Even and idiot like me can do it.

Plus I specifically state, DON"T LISTEN TO ME

I can see you didn't read the entire thing.

It is not simple. That's my whole point. You should stop thinking that it is. And even more important: You should stop telling people.

Even the TrueCrypt manual agrees on this:
IMPORTANT: If you want to use TrueCrypt, you must follow the security requirements and security precautions listed in this chapter.

There is already a thread:
http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=16246.0

jhansen858 (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 08:08:47 AM

I have never used encryptfs..

Can you make a container file, encrypt that container file using gpg and then email to your self?

Any solution that would work for me has to be practical, not impenetrable.

jhansen858 (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 08:11:29 AM

Well,

I asked for suggestions on a better way to do it, this is the easiest way I have found.  Took me all of 10 minutes to implement and is very practical.  I invite you to write a more practical strategy.  I will gladly include it in my paper..

The point of this thread is to make people think about securing their wallets..

I hate to see noobs get owned.

bcearl

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 08:15:07 AM

Well,

I asked for suggestions on a better way to do it, this is the easiest way I have found.  Took me all of 10 minutes to implement and is very practical.  I invite you to write a more practical strategy.  I will gladly include it in my paper..

The point of this thread is to make people think about securing their wallets..

I hate to see noobs get owned.

Ok, I have written a different howto with Ubuntu recently:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=15068.0

I think your solution works, too, but I think a newbie could make a lot of mistakes with it. My solution doesn't even require the user to install anything. And it does not waste any ressources.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: