Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 06:37:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting started with 4 x antminer s7  (Read 797 times)
matbu (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 04:19:15 PM

Hi,

I've been into bitcoin for a few months, basically just buying and hodling.  I've recently decided to start mining thus my presence here Smiley

Here is my plan (as of now) :

4 x used antminer s7 pulled from a mine
Joining slushpool
Potential ROI after 12-13 months based on the initial investment and electricity costs

Does that sound like a good plan? any advice?

Also, could anyone help me find info as per what electric setup I will need to put in place (high voltage power outlet? / how many machines / PSUs per outlet?)

Thanks in advance!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sidehack
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848

Curmudgeonly hardware guy

View Profile
November 07, 2016, 08:52:00 PM

S7 pulls approximately 1.4KW so for a 240V setup (you definitely don't want 120V, too troublesome for high-current loads) you're looking at 6A per miner. Four miners will run fine off a 240V 30A circuit.
If you're wanting to divide that up, I'd recommend a pair of 20A circuits because that gives you room for expansion (20A can support 3 miners).

I recommend server PSUs. For the record, I sell server PSUs - I don't recommend them because I sell them, I sell them because they're generally a more reliable and cost-effective option than consumer ATX supplies. For one miner a good DPS1200 kit will work; if you want more juice, talk to Finksy or Optimizer for heavier-duty supplies that can run two or three miners together.
Going with a server supply kit usually means a bit more hands-on, but it's also a lot more modular so if something does go wrong it's cheaper and easier to maintain than replacing the entire thing like with a consumer PSU.
Bitmain also makes decent supplies; the 1600W APW3 is okay, but I have no experience with the newer bigger one they released a few months ago.

240V has a buttload of different outlets even for the same general power requirement. Depending on the PSU, you're looking at either a C13 or C19 end (both are very standard, very common). Make sure to use outlets for which you can find cables to fit the PSUs.

Cool, quiet and up to 1TH pod miner, on sale now!
Currently in development - 200+GH USB stick; 6TH volt-adjustable S1/3/5 upgrade kit
Server PSU interface boards and cables. USB and small-scale miners. Hardware hosting, advice and odd-jobs. Supporting the home miner community since 2013 - http://www.gekkoscience.com
flameruk

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
November 07, 2016, 10:05:22 PM

S7 pulls approximately 1.4KW so for a 240V setup (you definitely don't want 120V, too troublesome for high-current loads) you're looking at 6A per miner. Four miners will run fine off a 240V 30A circuit.
If you're wanting to divide that up, I'd recommend a pair of 20A circuits because that gives you room for expansion (20A can support 3 miners).

I recommend server PSUs. For the record, I sell server PSUs - I don't recommend them because I sell them, I sell them because they're generally a more reliable and cost-effective option than consumer ATX supplies. For one miner a good DPS1200 kit will work; if you want more juice, talk to Finksy or Optimizer for heavier-duty supplies that can run two or three miners together.
Going with a server supply kit usually means a bit more hands-on, but it's also a lot more modular so if something does go wrong it's cheaper and easier to maintain than replacing the entire thing like with a consumer PSU.
Bitmain also makes decent supplies; the 1600W APW3 is okay, but I have no experience with the newer bigger one they released a few months ago.

240V has a buttload of different outlets even for the same general power requirement. Depending on the PSU, you're looking at either a C13 or C19 end (both are very standard, very common). Make sure to use outlets for which you can find cables to fit the PSUs.

I'll second the Server PSU's.
I run all my miners on DPS-1300 units all seconds from eBay about £15 each.
I use two per miner on the S7's and S9's.
One PSU to run 2 hash cards and one for the third card and the controller.

I'm a qualified sparky and the power miners draw even got me worried.
Now I have a purpose installed 63A 3-Phase supply with a mains board mounted directly on the rear of the miner rack.
Each PSU is hard wired into a switch fused spur with a 10A fuse in each.
I use two per miner one for each PSU.
Each pair of spurs is wired in 4mm singles to a 10-Amp single pole breaker.

One thing I learned in the first week was extension leads and UK plugs get hot and melt.

The noise doesn't bother me as they all sit in my unit at work.
The heat on the other hand...........
It's ok at the moment as the weather is cold but the unit gets soooooo warm in the summer I worry like hell the rigs gonna melt.

Lol. Remember getting six Spondoolies SP20's a while back and throwing them in the Server room at work I confess I didn't have a clue.
Next day you could have baked bread in the Server room and it ruined the A/C and took our website down as the Supermicro rack Server decided enough was enough. One Dl360 made it but the office DL80 died of heat stroke.

That day cost me a lot of money but hit home HARD the power of mining......

Find my P2POOL node at www.ukp2pool.uk:9332

Donations for operating node?
BTC  1CYevtGy3aqr1reuq7CFceNFAT7snsz3VM
leowonderful
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 1129

Bitcoin FTW!

View Profile
November 08, 2016, 10:29:05 PM

I'll second the Server PSU's.
I run all my miners on DPS-1300 units all seconds from eBay about £15 each.
I use two per miner on the S7's and S9's.
One PSU to run 2 hash cards and one for the third card and the controller.

I'm a qualified sparky and the power miners draw even got me worried.
Now I have a purpose installed 63A 3-Phase supply with a mains board mounted directly on the rear of the miner rack.
Each PSU is hard wired into a switch fused spur with a 10A fuse in each.
I use two per miner one for each PSU.
Each pair of spurs is wired in 4mm singles to a 10-Amp single pole breaker.

One thing I learned in the first week was extension leads and UK plugs get hot and melt.

The noise doesn't bother me as they all sit in my unit at work.
The heat on the other hand...........
It's ok at the moment as the weather is cold but the unit gets soooooo warm in the summer I worry like hell the rigs gonna melt.

Lol. Remember getting six Spondoolies SP20's a while back and throwing them in the Server room at work I confess I didn't have a clue.
Next day you could have baked bread in the Server room and it ruined the A/C and took our website down as the Supermicro rack Server decided enough was enough. One Dl360 made it but the office DL80 died of heat stroke.

That day cost me a lot of money but hit home HARD the power of mining......
Haha yeah, Sp20s make quite a bit of heat and really don't have the dissipation nor heat design to get rid of that heat. Plugs are a huge issue; I've had some completely melt connections on miners and ruin them, fortunately this was back when I had S3's and I never oced anyways. Miners are always a force to be reckoned with, don't put them next to normal computers Wink
matbu (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 04:21:42 PM

Thanks to you both.  Very useful information I will now have to dig Smiley

I definitely consider your offer sidehack and will possibly pm you after I've done my dd Smiley

Thanks again and let's make Bitcoin Great Again.  Oh wait, it's great already Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: