Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:09:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I was asked: Where does all the money go?  (Read 1045 times)
Stefan Thomas (OP)

Activity: 234
Merit: 100

AKA: Justmoon

View Profile WWW
April 04, 2013, 07:01:10 PM

Today somebody asked WeUseCoins support where all the money goes that people invest into Bitcoin. It's actually kind of an interesting question with a lot of facets, so I ended up spending way too much time writing a reply. I thought I'd share it in case anyone is interested.

Bitcoins are issued via the process of "mining". Mining refers to a competitive, open-access activity which serves two main functions:

1. Create agreement about the ordering of transactions. (This is the main problem that a distributed payment system has to solve.)

2. Distribute newly created Bitcoins.

The actual mining work is just to run a specific algorithm. The important property of this algorithm is that it is easy to look at the result the miner presents and determine how much work has gone into it. The network considers how much mining each miner has done and uses that information to solve the two problems above:

Solving 1.: The majority of miners (weighted by hashing power) decides the ordering of transactions.

Solving 2.: Each miner gets a share of the new Bitcoins proportional to the amount of mining work he did.

The total amount of Bitcoins is predetermined (~21 million) and the rate at which the coins are minted is also (approximately) predetermined.

So to answer your question:

> where the money paid by punters for Bitcoins actually goes?

Most of the money just goes to people who previously bought the bitcoins.

But of course you're right that ultimately every Bitcoin had to have been created at some point, so I suppose it would be fair to say that in the first instance it's the Bitcoin miners who would profit.

However, keep in mind that on MtGox alone, more than 100000 BTC change hands every day, whereas only about 3600 BTC are newly minted in the same amount of time. Many if not most miners immediately sell their bitcoins in order to cover their mining expenses and the price has risen only recently, so lots of miners will have sold at much lower prices.

Also consider that a miner's income isn't pure profit, a miner has costs. He has to pay for the hardware and for the electricity. Also mining is competitive, if mining were extremely profitable, more people would do it, meaning the newly minted coins would be divided up amongst more people and profits would drop until they reached a point where it is no longer financially attractive to become a Bitcoin miner.

Because of mining costs a good chunk of Bitcoin seignorage profit would have gone to electricity companies and hardware/chip manufacturers. Those companies of course also have costs, so another good chunk would have gone to the energy and high-tech sectors more generally.

Hope that helps.

I glossed over some technical nuances here, before you judge me, keep in mind that this is intended for a novice and that it's an reply to an economic question, not a technical one. Smiley

Twitter: @justmoon
PGP: D16E 7B04 42B9 F02E 0660  C094 C947 3700 A4B0 8BF3

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Maciek

Activity: 254
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 07:26:47 PM

+1

I prefer my money to go to the miners and some electricity companies than to the greedy banksters Smiley

cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 07:29:09 PM

That's kinda like asking someone who works for a living, "where did your work go when you get paid?"

+1 Plan BTC

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 07:47:40 PM

+1

I prefer my money to go to the miners and some electricity companies than to the greedy banksters Smiley

i posted this on my wifes facebook =)

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: