Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:44:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Could there be a law on stolen bitcoins?  (Read 6614 times)
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 09:18:46 AM

No I do not think that there will be putted a low on because its hard to do that and maybe even impossible to be honest.

Nothing is impossible if the government wants to. Just like some countries, came up with cyber crime law. soon enough I am sure that there will be a law about online thieves, though its hard to impose those, but I'm sure thru time, it will be polished and become effective.

There are already laws regarding cyber crime. However, if you go to the police station and report that your coins have been stolen due to a hack, then they won't be able to do anything for you. First, because of the fact that they seriously have no clue on how to investigate this. Second, even if you report that you have been scammed by a webshop with fiat, and not Bitcoin, then they even don't know what to do.

I had a close friend of me that has been scammed by a webshop for €100 where he reported it at the police station, and nothing has been done. They didn't even take his case serious. He has taken the effort to contact the bank in question, and to report the webshop as it has been scamming him. That's when things started to move. The bank itself contacted the police, and that was exactly the moment they came to action. Police deparments are blatantly stopping with (educating) investing in their existing people just to save on costs. And that in the digital time we are in today... It's pathetic.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 02:09:51 AM

I dont think there will be any law regards to bitcoin because there are still no one controlling bitcoin, so this is one of the bitcoin weakness and it is hard to track who own the coin, so it is difficult to know who is the person responsible for the criminal act and up until now there is still no party who is able to freeze the wallet account
There is no need for a government to have a control of an asset so they can create some laws about it, for example the US government does not control the euro yet it is illegal to steal euro in American soil.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 02:24:41 AM

I dont think there will be any law regards to bitcoin because there are still no one controlling bitcoin, so this is one of the bitcoin weakness and it is hard to track who own the coin, so it is difficult to know who is the person responsible for the criminal act and up until now there is still no party who is able to freeze the wallet account
There is no need for a government to have a control of an asset so they can create some laws about it, for example the US government does not control the euro yet it is illegal to steal euro in American soil.

The Euro is a internationally recognized currency controlled and regulated by the EU.
The US recognizes that government and currency and thus agrees to enforce it as a currency within the US.
If a bank stores Euros and that bank is robbed, it is a normal currency theft, not an asset.

If there is no need for governments to control currencies or assets, then there would be no laws over them.
Your statement makes no sense from a legal point of view.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
croutonhexagon

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 02:29:18 AM

No one cares to make law for bitcoin because it is not controlled by anyone. Even if someone make law for bitcoin then also no one will care yup follow the rules because criminal are criminal forever. Making law will not make them fear of doing something as bitcoin is anonymous and it's hard to track them online.
groll (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 02:31:17 AM

No one cares to make law for bitcoin because it is not controlled by anyone. Even if someone make law for bitcoin then also no one will care yup follow the rules because criminal are criminal forever. Making law will not make them fear of doing something as bitcoin is anonymous and it's hard to track them online.

That's only the thing mate. It's hard to track bitcoin thieves particularly that were in an open community here bitcoin world. Yes no one cares to make laws for stealing bitcoin for the fact that it is a decentralized currency and no one has the authority to have some control over it. It's just sad that it is one of the weakness of this very feature of bitcoin.
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 03:20:40 AM

The Euro is a internationally recognized currency controlled and regulated by the EU.
The US recognizes that government and currency and thus agrees to enforce it as a currency within the US.
If a bank stores Euros and that bank is robbed, it is a normal currency theft, not an asset.

If there is no need for governments to control currencies or assets, then there would be no laws over them.
Maybe I did not explain myself clearly, lets give an example there are laws regarding space and what can be done there but does any government actually own it? No and they don't need it in order to create laws regarding the accepted behavior there.
traderethereum

Activity: 2870
Merit: 574

View Profile WWW
November 18, 2016, 03:37:52 AM

No I do not think that there will be putted a low on because its hard to do that and maybe even impossible to be honest.

Nothing is impossible if the government wants to. Just like some countries, came up with cyber crime law. soon enough I am sure that there will be a law about online thieves, though its hard to impose those, but I'm sure thru time, it will be polished and become effective.

i think this will be happen if the government is approving bitcoin and they make regulation about bitcoin beside that they will make a law for people which stolen bitcoin from other people. but for now, i think there is no law for any stolen bitcoin and we should be regret it when we loss our bitcoin and gets stolen.
AgentofCoin
Legendary

Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 05:42:40 AM
Last edit: November 18, 2016, 05:58:56 AM by AgentofCoin

Maybe I did not explain myself clearly, lets give an example there are laws regarding space and what can be done there but does any government actually own it? No and they don't need it in order to create laws regarding the accepted behavior there.

There are no government laws regarding space.
There may be international treaties or proclamations from organizations such as the UN,
as to what space should or should not be used for, but those are worthless proclamations
with no ability of direct enforceability. Any attempts are indirect and by sanctions or etc.

Some countries have classified systems sitting and waiting in geosynchronous orbit including
nuclear weapons platforms, attack satellites, and space drones, which would be considered
violations of such treaties. Most agreements of space are only agreements as to disclosed human
objects in space such as the international space station and other educational/technological vessels,
and not of space itself.

The point is, that in order for a government to have a law about an issue or an object means that they
have full governance over that issue or object through control or enforcement. Since there can be
no true enforcement of the space around the Earth without creating an international space command
that is tasked to patrol that territory, there can be no official law regarding that space. The effect, is
that space is more like the wild west, where anything goes since there is no sheriff, just like Bitcoin.
Until there are direct laws and regulations about Bitcoin, it is as worthless as trying to regulate space.

You may attempt to apply pre-existing laws to Bitcoin directly, but without enforcement mechanisms
and intervention abilities it is worthless.

I support a decentralized & unregulatable ledger first, with safe scaling over time.
Request a signed message if you are associating with anyone claiming to be me.
diegz

Activity: 798
Merit: 500

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 05:47:04 AM

There are already laws regarding cyber crime. However, if you go to the police station and report that your coins have been stolen due to a hack, then they won't be able to do anything for you. First, because of the fact that they seriously have no clue on how to investigate this. Second, even if you report that you have been scammed by a webshop with fiat, and not Bitcoin, then they even don't know what to do.

I had a close friend of me that has been scammed by a webshop for €100 where he reported it at the police station, and nothing has been done. They didn't even take his case serious. He has taken the effort to contact the bank in question, and to report the webshop as it has been scamming him. That's when things started to move. The bank itself contacted the police, and that was exactly the moment they came to action. Police deparments are blatantly stopping with (educating) investing in their existing people just to save on costs. And that in the digital time we are in today... It's pathetic.

As far as I know, when a law is created, the government also put an agency into action and designate them to the task, if not, a branch or division is being created , this days it is not effective since they are just starting out, soon, I am sure, as I've said in my post, it will be polished. Ratification could be done to make it effective and cope up with the situation. It would take time and lots of trial and error.

Taki

Activity: 1078
Merit: 514

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 05:51:35 AM

The law should be. But it's hard to create it. Bitcoin is international currency that exist only only on the internet. And when someone steel your bitcoins today it's kind of only your problem and the site where you were holding it doesn't give you any guarantees to bring it back in the case of stolen. The law should be created international way. But again it will make bitcoin depended from governments.
sportis

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Veni, Vidi, Vici

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 06:45:56 AM

The legislation concerning cryptocurrencies is fuzzy and very different from country to country if there is any. The only sure in courts is that everyone is innocent until proven otherwise. However, to anyone is accused as thief  when will go trial  jury judges must have suffice evidence in order to convict him otherwise they are obliged to acquit him. Similarly how can the prosecutor prove that bitcoins was legal and he had not steal from someone else?
Liad.Services

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 07:53:39 AM

Yes there will could be law on stolen Bitcoin if there is a law recognising Bitcoin as a currency then stealing it becomes illegal then it can be enforced by the enforcement officer designated by law until that nothing will happen and if any enforcement officer wants to act then he will be acting ultra-vires over here, there are several things that are immoral but since the law is not there to make it illegal then there is nothing that can be done...
It is really hard to have a law regarding stolen bitcoins as because of the nature of bitcoin it is hard to determine if the bitcoins were stolen or lost,the law will not be able to proof anything so the cases will be just closed.
This is one of the disadventage of bitcoin.
Mastsetad

Activity: 672

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 08:10:26 AM

Could there be a law on stolen bitcoins? What if there would be a law punishing those who steal bitcoins and those people behind scam sites? And if so, is it necessary to have such law? I'm just wondering, if there would be such law about stolen bitcoins, it could be a big relief to us bitcoin users. But then, there are so many questions and issues that goes with this ideal that makes me skeptical about it.  Huh Undecided

Who would do that punishing thing? A country? An authority? Ofcourse no one will as long as bitcoin is not legalized in the world, bitcoin is still a digital currency that is used on internet, why would someone get punished for stealing numbers on internet? And even if they are spotted, who would prove they have done something like this as long as they can hide the coins which is possible in bitcoin?
Liad.Services

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 08:32:33 AM

Could there be a law on stolen bitcoins? What if there would be a law punishing those who steal bitcoins and those people behind scam sites? And if so, is it necessary to have such law? I'm just wondering, if there would be such law about stolen bitcoins, it could be a big relief to us bitcoin users. But then, there are so many questions and issues that goes with this ideal that makes me skeptical about it.  Huh Undecided

Who would do that punishing thing? A country? An authority? Ofcourse no one will as long as bitcoin is not legalized in the world, bitcoin is still a digital currency that is used on internet, why would someone get punished for stealing numbers on internet? And even if they are spotted, who would prove they have done something like this as long as they can hide the coins which is possible in bitcoin?

Well if someone claims that someone stole his bitcoins he will probably make a report to the local police in his country,but it is impossible to prove that bitcoins were stolen so anyway there can be no laws regarding bitcoi s and people should stay safe when it comes to bitcoins.
arransiv

Activity: 420

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 08:46:49 AM

Well if someone claims that someone stole his bitcoins he will probably make a report to the local police in his country,but it is impossible to prove that bitcoins were stolen so anyway there can be no laws regarding bitcoi s and people should stay safe when it comes to bitcoins.

A lot of digital crimes aren't processed especially in third world countries, a lot of governments don't have neither laws about crimes like that and don't have knowledge to find/arrest this kind of criminals.

It's hard to someone hack you and stolen your bitcoin however if it happen, probably you can't do much about.
markyminer

Activity: 532

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 10:00:58 PM

A lot of digital crimes aren't processed especially in third world countries, a lot of governments don't have neither laws about crimes like that and don't have knowledge to find/arrest this kind of criminals.

It's hard to someone hack you and stolen your bitcoin however if it happen, probably you can't do much about.
i think there is a law on cyber crimes but as bitcoin is not a legal currency therefore stole bitcoin case cannot be entertain under this law because bitcoin is still illegal and there is still no low for illegal thighs to support them.

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
.JINBI..

merges gold’s investment
holding value
with
blockchain technology
...T H E   G O L D E N   I C O...
.────────     WHITEPAPER     ────────.
▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████████████▄▀█▄
▄█▀▄███████ ██ ████████▄▀█▄
█ ███████▄▄ ▌ ▄▄▄ ▀██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ████ ██████ █
█ █████████ ▌ ▄▄▄▄ ▀█████ █
█ █████████ ▌ █████ █████ █
█ █████▄▀▀  ▌ ▀▀▀▀ ▄█████ █
▀█▄▀███████ ██ ████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▀███████████▀▄█▀
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
Cashew

Activity: 391

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 10:38:20 AM

No, there couldn't. How could you prove that it is yours ? And how could you prove that the transaction sent was unintentional ?
JasonXG

Activity: 770

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 04:09:20 PM

It does not matter what you steal. Of you steal it's stolen and it means the owner no longer has it and the thief does. There already are laws against this but scammers have always been hard to catch and you habe to prove your theory is correct when exposing a thief. Since bitcoin can't be traced to people with much ease finding stolen bitcoin is near impossible. That does not mean however that the thief escapes the long arms of the law though.
Mastsetad

Activity: 672

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 04:15:47 PM

No, there couldn't. How could you prove that it is yours ? And how could you prove that the transaction sent was unintentional ?

Exactly, the only record you can have is the transaction sent or received in the wallet of the person who has stolen your bitcoins, and if you have reported that to police or cyber crime authority, how will you prove that the transaction was not sent by you and was done by someone else? That is why it is not possible.
Selly Arumsari

Activity: 602

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 04:00:52 PM

i think not yet . Law need a real evidence and witness .. if bitcoin stealed how about evidence and witness
so my opinion very difficult to punishing, be carefully to saving your coin
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: