Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 09:43:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Crafting world's longest English sentence sans punctuations, repeating words, ..  (Read 1277 times)
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1145

View Profile
November 08, 2016, 09:08:48 PM
Last edit: November 10, 2016, 02:25:54 AM by Gleb Gamow

EDIT: If you're unable to submit changes, please consider at least critiquing what we have to date. Every bit helps, guys.

No commas and not a single word is to be repeated (including "a" and "an" and "the" and of course "and") in crafting the world's longest sentence within those guidelines. I'll start, but feel free to change said start, alter it, etc., as long as we collectively achieve the goal. Oh, it MUST BE 100% grammatically correct, a given... and must make percent sense, another given whether factual, fictional, or a combination of the two, the latter of which I would consider great/nice/some other adjective.

Further constraints are: no contractions (e.g. there's); no abbriviations; no hyphenated words; no dashes; no colons; no semicolons; etc. In essence, a quasi-run-on sentence that's, again, grammatically correct.

I reserve the option of modifying the rules above as the task progresses. Maybe we can get our combined efforts submitted in the Guinness World Records. That said, have at, all.

Down in Louisiana there dwells an evil ... (note how my original opening has since changed)

Use this tool to make sure no words are used more than once: https://wordcounttools.com/

Use this tool to listen to it: http://ttsreader.com/ or https://text-to-speech-demo.mybluemix.net/ (the better of the two in my opinion)

For those who only reading the first post of threads, here's what we have to date:

Down swampy Louisiana way there dwelt an iniquitous necromancer named Toumura Maleficent Vurotia Vromira Morte whom I serendipitously thrice encountered who spent all her waking hours focused on raising long lost corrupted spirits from their waterlogged burial chambers steadfastly believing she might stumble upon abhorrent factualisms regarding omnipotent artifacts which shall more than likely reward herself untold and overwhelming powers concerning subjugation over earthly equinal lifeforms created aside terrifyingly sadistic demons formerly residing among mere mortal ponies forever grazing across open fertile fields filled by golden wheat traditionally utilized while developing procedures for discovering individuals manifesting antidisestablishmentarianism tendencies within largely liberal congregations around sprawling developments alongside meandering natural waterways flowing southerly verses northerly similarly like River Nile past multitudinous bustling metropolises including Luxor previously known as the Ancient Egyptian city of Waset or Greek Thebes once having had myriad hieroglyphs depicting femmes fatales mayhaps said seductresses hastening its ultimate demise when earthen atmospheric conditions constitute needed further evaluations reflected through continually expanding evil forces entering into infinite territories naive humans have forsaken throughout written historical millenniums in recounted previous experiences people neglected incorporating required logistical anomalies whereas superficial conglomerates direct cute honey bee workflows creating intricate architecturally beautiful structural masterpieces hence before leaving thee third confrontation with mentioned wicked deceased communicator thy was asked my dental services be rendered removing excruciatingly painful impacted wisdom teeth abating consistently annoying agony causing undue distress leading to inability performing ritualistic tasks requisite conjuring exanimate beings whilst ruminating about preceding events impacting reanimating abilities ...
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2016, 10:20:03 PM

...necromancer who spends all his time attempting to raise long lost corrupted spirits from their waterlogged tombs such that he might learn terrible truths about powerful artifacts which shall definitively confer upon him untold and overwhelming powers of subjugation over earthly carbon-based lifeforms.

Ok... I suppose you could argue for the use of a comma after the words artifacts and earthly in my sentence Tongue

Yes, I'm bored.  I voted.  I've been staring at code and now the only thing on TV are so-called experts attempting to predict the outcome of the election...

Maybe I'll watch a movie...

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2016, 10:24:57 PM

After starting this thread, I conducted some research where I was surprised to read that William Faulkner's Absalom, Absalom is credited for containing the world's longest grammatically correct sentence, albeit not abiding by my constraints stated in the OP above. Ironically, Faulkner incorporated "demon" in his prose (the beginning of which is quoted below), whereas "evil" is currently in our attempt, perhaps somewhere down the line we'll toss in "pony" or "ponies" for shits and giggles, recalling https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=45298.0 and related this https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=45324.0. (that episode still makes me grin ear-to-ear)

Just exactly like Father if Father had known as much about it the night before 1 went out there as he did the day after 1 came back thinking Mad impotent old man who realised at last that there must be some limit even to the capabilities of a demon for doing harm, who must have seen his situation as that of the show girl, the pony, who realises that ...

I'm still waiting the first person to add to what I've started ... (and NO ellipses)

Down in Louisiana there dwells an evil ...
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2016, 10:32:32 PM

...necromancer who spends all his time attempting to raise long lost corrupted spirits from their waterlogged tombs such that he might learn terrible truths about powerful artifacts which shall definitively confer upon him untold and overwhelming powers of subjugation over earthly carbon-based lifeforms.

Ok... I suppose you could argue for the use of a comma after the words artifacts and earthly in my sentence Tongue

Yes, I'm bored.  I voted.  I've been staring at code and now the only thing on TV are so-called experts attempting to predict the outcome of the election...

Maybe I'll watch a movie...

Looks like we've cross-posted, bud. Excellent submission! So, with your submission we have ...

Down in Louisiana there dwells an evil necromancer who spends all his time attempting to raise long lost corrupted spirits from their waterlogged tombs such that he might learn terrible truths about powerful artifacts which shall definitively confer upon him untold and overwhelming powers of subjugation over earthly carbon-based lifeforms ...

<carbon-based is hyphenated, thus needing a different word or rephrasing - sentient lifeforms or sentient beings may suffice>
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
November 08, 2016, 10:37:56 PM

Sure... replace "carbon-based" with "equine" to bring your wishes to have a pony reference to fruition Grin

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 08, 2016, 10:46:34 PM

Sure... replace "carbon-based" with "equine" to bring your wishes to have a pony reference to fruition Grin

Dude, you're a sick puppy. Okay, I'll do it. Does "equinal" work in the below?

Down in Louisiana there dwells an evil necromancer who spends all his time attempting to raise long lost corrupted spirits from their waterlogged tombs such that he might learn terrible truths about powerful artifacts which shall definitively confer upon him untold and overwhelming powers of subjugation over earthly equinal lifeforms ...

<I would gladly give my middle testicle if I were able to truly write like that>
ImHash

Activity: 924
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 08, 2016, 10:47:08 PM

Anti disestablishment materialism. I know it to be the longest word in English dictionary.
ZACHM

Activity: 777
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 01:19:27 AM

I don't know if it meets all of the requirements, but here is my attempt.

Down in Louisiana there dwells an evil necromancer who spends all his time attempting to raise long lost corrupted spirits from their waterlogged tombs such that he might learn terrible truths about powerful artifacts which shall definitively confer upon him untold and overwhelming powers of subjugation over earthly equinal lifeforms ...

... created by terrifyingly sadistic demons formerly residing among mere mortal ponies forever galloping across open fields filled with golden wheat normally used during developing a procedure for discovering individuals projecting antidisestablishmentarianism tendencies within largely liberal congregations around developments alongside rivers flowing southerly but not northerly as does the Nile ...
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 01:46:04 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2016, 02:34:26 AM by Gleb Gamow

Down in Louisiana there dwells an evil necromancer who spends all her time attempting to raise long lost corrupted spirits from their waterlogged tombs such that she might learn terrible truths about powerful artifacts which shall definitively confer upon him untold and overwhelming powers of subjugation over earthly equinal lifeforms created by terrifyingly sadistic demons formerly residing among mere mortal ponies forever grazing across open fields filled with golden wheat normally used during developing a procedure for discovering individuals projecting antidisestablishmentarianism tendencies within largely liberal congregations around developments alongside rivers flowing southerly but not northerly as does the Nile past Luxor ...

Holy fuck, dudes! Lookin' very good thus far. Needless to say the task at hand will become harder due to the common one-, two- and three-letter words are virtually used up.

One more thing I need to add: all 26 letters of the English alphabet need to be used, leaving only the letter 'z' not yet used since I just added "past Luxor" so to include the letter 'x'.

I'd say let's make it a little bit longer, proof it, then collectively submit to the Guinness World Records for review with possible submission, perhaps first in its class so that subsequent wordsmiths will have the chance to break our record.

Anybody who's not able to submit due to whatever reasoning, please at least proofread the ongoing prose in making sure it passes all the rules stipulated mostly in the OP, with a couple new guidelines introduced hence.

Special thanks to those who've contributed to date.

Bruno
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 02:15:27 AM

Hey, all, I just found this tool: https://wordcounttools.com/

Shit, only 101 unique words, albeit still a record as far as I know. Somebody needs to Google to make sure while I continue to do the same. I'd say that a 200-word count prose will be difficult to accomplish but we can certainly set it as a goal nonetheless, with possibly a more realistic 1,000-character count not counting spaces being our backup goal. What do you guys think? Please weigh in.
ZACHM

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 02:16:02 AM

One more thing I need to add: all 26 letters of the English alphabet need to be used, leaving only the letter 'z' not yet used since I just added "past Luxor" so to include the letter 'x'.

Change galloping to grazing.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 02:23:58 AM

Change galloping to grazing.

Doing it now, with thanks, bud. Fits perfectly!
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 02:28:55 AM

IMPORTANT!: We're still need to use the letter 'K'.

I'm taking it upon myself to change 'his' to 'her' (at beginning of prose), thus a necromancer of the female persuasion, also resulting in changing 'he' to 'she'.
ZACHM

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 02:38:18 AM

Ok, you'll need to change the he/she, but I rearranged a little bit and also have your k

Down in Louisiana there dwells an evil necromancer who spends all his time attempting to raise long lost corrupted spirits from their waterlogged tombs such that he might learn terrible truths about powerful artifacts which shall definitively confer upon him untold and overwhelming powers concerning subjugation over earthly equinal lifeforms created by terrifyingly sadistic demons formerly residing among mere mortal ponies forever grazing across open fields filled with golden wheat normally used during developing a procedure for discovering individuals projecting antidisestablishmentarianism tendencies within largely liberal congregations around developments alongside rivers flowing southerly but not northerly similarly like River Nile past numerous cities including Luxor previously known as the Ancient Egyptian city of Thebes
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 02:42:41 AM

Yeah, already did he/she, but stumbled here:

definitively confer upon him untold and overwhelming

I already used 'her'. Can we give her a name to replace the first 'her' if not the second?

I'm going to read your latest now, bud, again, with thanks.

EDIT: Holy shit AGAIN! Just used the tool and saw we're now at 113 unique words.
ZACHM

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 02:47:17 AM

What about using "herself"?

confer upon him herself untold and

I think that should work, but a name would add more characters.

maybe:

Miss Keihanaikukauakahihulihe'ekahaunaele

Grin
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 02:50:01 AM

I think that should work.

Yep, realizing that e.g. Alice's would be against the rules, then was leaning toward the usage of 'its' for the second her. Changing it now and seeing if any other probs poop out.

The latest rendition can always be found in the OP in purple (think: purple prose) below the fold.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 03:47:13 AM
Last edit: November 09, 2016, 04:43:25 AM by Gleb Gamow

I think that should work, but a name would add more characters.

maybe:

Grin

Hoston, we have a problem! alert depicted fittingly in red, and as I've already stated the use of 's would've been in play if used where I initially thought it would work.

Giving a [long] name somewhere in the prose is definitely not outside the realms of possibility either early on or subsequently.

In the spirit of Blue Öyster Cult's (Don't Fear) The Reaper, given that the word 'necromancer' is incorporated in the prose, to increase the word count I've resorted to resurrecting the following meme:

E.g., "forever grazing across open fields filled with" becomes "forever grazing across open fertile fields filled with", being mindful in not stringing adjectives for fear (you like that word?) of commas being needed, but purposely omitted creating a grammatically incorrect run-on sentence [within].

I'm sure you brainiacs can find myriad places to incorporate one- or two-word (maybe more) adjective terms-cum-modifiers to further lengthen what we already have to date. Please correct me if my thinkin' is wong, else have at it.

For those who do read past the OP, the following is what we have so far:

Down in swampy Louisiana there dwells an iniquitous necromancer named _______ who spends all her time attempting to raise long lost corrupted spirits from their waterlogged tombs such that she might learn terrible truths about powerful artifacts which shall definitively confer upon herself untold and overwhelming powers concerning subjugation over earthly equinal lifeforms created by terrifyingly sadistic demons formerly residing among mere mortal ponies forever grazing across open fertile fields filled with golden wheat normally used during developing a procedure for discovering individuals projecting antidisestablishmentarianism tendencies within largely liberal congregations around meandering developments alongside rivers flowing southerly but not northerly similarly like River Nile past numerous cities including Luxor previously known as the Ancient Egyptian city of Thebes ...

I just changed 'evil' to 'iniquitous' (increases the character count), and found a place to pen her name (see  ________), leaving it up to you guys to supply her name (bonus points awarded if it starts with the letter N).

I'm sure many words could be candidates for replacement with longer thesaurus-derived counterparts.
ZACHM

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 04:04:17 AM

Hoston, we have a problem! alert depicted fittingly in red, and as I've already stated the use of 's would've been in play if used where I initially thought it would work.

Giving a [long] name somewhere in the prose is definitely not outside the realms of possibility either early on or subsequently.

I was thinking that since it was a person's name and not used necessarily as a contraction, that maybe it would acceptable.

Maybe she married this guy and took his last name -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Blaine_Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff,_Sr.

I'll look at this again tomorrow, I need to go to bed.
Gleb Gamow (OP)
In memoriam
VIP
Legendary

View Profile
November 09, 2016, 04:18:20 AM

I was thinking that since it was a person's name and not used necessarily as a contraction, that maybe it would acceptable.

Maybe she married this guy and took his last name -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Blaine_Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff,_Sr.

I'll look at this again tomorrow, I need to go to bed.

I was alluding to strictly adhering to ONLY the English alphabet, 26 letters of the Latin script.

It'll be a feat to derive her name akin to Wolfe­schlegel­stein­hausen­berger­dorff, but only after the prose is finalized so it'd be in the spirit of:

Wolfe­schlegel­stein­hausen­berger­dorff himself provided the following explanation of his prodigious surname:

It tells a story of a wolf-killer, a resident of a stonehouse in a village, whose ancestors were conscientious shepherds whose sheep were well fed and carefully guarded against attack by ferocious enemies and whose ancestors 1,200,000 years before the first earth man, in a space ship made with tungsten and seven iridium motors and using light as a source of power, started a long journey across interstellar space, searching for a star around which was an inhabitable planet where they could establish a new race of intelligent mankind and where they would live long, happy lives and be free from attack by other intelligentsia from the outer space from whence they came
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: