Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 04:52:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Find and Buy me a 1994 North Korean Kim Il Sung 1oz Silver Coin=1 Casascius coin  (Read 1730 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:19:46 PM

Hi,
I have been looking all over the internet for this coin. I only want one in mint condition with the original packaging. If you find and buy me one, I will send you a 1 BTC Casascius Physical Coin (available by invite only now), either Series 2 or Series 3. The coin looks like this:

windows 7 screen shot

Message me once you find it before you purchase.

Thanks!

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
faisalp

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:23:03 PM

this coin is awesome Smiley  best of luck JW! 
fredtrader

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 04, 2013, 11:34:48 PM

A coin of the great leader should be in gold, anything else is blasphemy.
medicine

Activity: 697
Merit: 501

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 01:03:41 AM

Ok, I'm on it.  I'm in Korea and have seen a few coin shops.

johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 01:36:30 AM

Let me know before you buy it-a picture would be great. Be aware, these coins are counterfeited a lot (but mostly in China).
hiima

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 01:37:48 AM

Are these coins even allowed to be taken outside of NK?

Whiskey Fund BTC 1K2SG4amzNrB7gUwf5braHuExqnQ5nEKZp LTC Lgoz9gb7q39FMAmBz8odfkx4YFhLeofCpc
medicine

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 01:40:03 AM

Let me know before you buy it-a picture would be great. Be aware, these coins are counterfeited a lot (but mostly in China).
Ok, will definitely take a picture first.  If I actually do see it in a shop I'm betting it won't be flying off the shelf. 
Counterfeit as in not silver?  Or Counterfeit as in silver, but fake?  How would you tell if it's a fake or not then?
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 06:46:20 AM

A coin of the great leader should be in gold platinum-190, anything else is blasphemy.

FTFY

johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 08:59:43 AM

Are these coins even allowed to be taken outside of NK?

Uhhh..yeah. North Korea is extremely isolated but they're still a Second-World country. I have a bunch of North Korean stuff.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 09:04:53 AM

Ok, will definitely take a picture first.  If I actually do see it in a shop I'm betting it won't be flying off the shelf. 
Counterfeit as in not silver?  Or Counterfeit as in silver, but fake?  How would you tell if it's a fake or not then?

Both. For one, use a STRONG magnet-silver is not magnetic but other metals commonly used are. As for sound, you should here a high-pitch kind of ring when it [gently] spins on a table and then loses momentum. Plus I assume you are smart and have good common sense. A market isn't going to be seling them by the basketful. Instead, its a real numismatic item and you would usually find it only at coin stores.
medicine

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 02:12:00 PM

Update:  Nothing yet.  I finally got around to visiting some coin stores here in Seoul.  I went to an underground shopping mall that has the largest concentration of coin shops in Seoul and visited 6 or 7 there.  The shop keepers all took one look at the picture you provided and pretty quickly said they didn't haven't.  My Korean isn't great, but from what I saw I'm pretty sure most of them recognized what the coin is and had a kind of "good luck kid" response. 
If I get another chance I will keep looking.
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 02:43:11 PM

Update:  Nothing yet.  I finally got around to visiting some coin stores here in Seoul.  I went to an underground shopping mall that has the largest concentration of coin shops in Seoul and visited 6 or 7 there.  The shop keepers all took one look at the picture you provided and pretty quickly said they didn't haven't.  My Korean isn't great, but from what I saw I'm pretty sure most of them recognized what the coin is and had a kind of "good luck kid" response. 

lived in South Korea for a while. you will never, EVER find one of these coins in South Korea -- at least not in a coin shop.

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 01:54:42 AM

lived in South Korea for a while. you will never, EVER find one of these coins in South Korea -- at least not in a coin shop.
not surprising. I check eBay often. There's not many of them out there. Did you know that North Korea only had enough gold to release 21-1oz rounds this year?
hkmk

Activity: 1

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 06:27:13 PM

I have this. My father just gave it to me. He used to do business in North Korea. Also have picture of my parents next to Kim Il Sung dated April 1991.
Cyrus
Ninja
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2950

View Profile
May 31, 2016, 08:10:20 PM

OP hasn't logged in about 6 months and the thread is 3 years old. I'll lock this and move it to the right subforum(we didn't have Collectibles back then).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: