Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 06:40:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Enjoy getting raided by the IRS for not reporting income and capital gains.  (Read 6763 times)
kiba
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:38:31 AM

Why does your friend assume you are not going to pay taxes? Consider yourself lucky to only pay 20% on any gain in value. The money you work your butt off for, that is income, likely costs you 30+%.

It sucks that it costs like 30% of your paycheck but what sucks more is the stress brought by overly complicated tax code.

If all 300 million people pay a simple tax of 1000 bucks a year to the US gubernment, they would have something like three hundred billion dollars to work with every year. Very simple tax and plenty of money for the government to run.

Alas, our government is not a lean, efficient machine.

Hundred of billion of dollars are lost every year to inefficient military research program, pointless wars, jails, porks, paperwork for social security, and enforcement cost for the US' byzantine tax code.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
hiima

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:42:15 AM

I will be paying my taxes, next year...

Whiskey Fund BTC 1K2SG4amzNrB7gUwf5braHuExqnQ5nEKZp LTC Lgoz9gb7q39FMAmBz8odfkx4YFhLeofCpc
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:44:27 AM

Why does your friend assume you are not going to pay taxes? Consider yourself lucky to only pay 20% on any gain in value. The money you work your butt off for, that is income, likely costs you 30+%.

It sucks that it costs like 30% of your paycheck but what sucks more is the stress brought by overly complicated tax code.

If all 300 million people pay a simple tax of 1000 bucks a year to the US gubernment, they would have something like three hundred billion dollars to work with every year. Very simple tax and plenty of money for the government to run.

Hundred of billion of dollars are lost every year to inefficient military research program, pointless wars, jails, porks, paperwork for social security, and enforcement cost for the US' byzantine tax code.
+1
It's not the concept of taxes that irks me. It's the foolishness with which our government incompetently fritters it away.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bb113

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:46:17 AM

Don't forget the billions wasted on generating misleading scientific publications due to the publish or perish atmosphere they have created.
mjc

Activity: 588

Available on Kindle

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 04:06:32 AM

Track what you put in and take out and pay the taxes on the balance an you should be fine.  These are not stocks so it's not capital gains.

Kindle : Bitcoin Step by Step (2nd Ed) : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Kindle : Bitcoin Mining Step by Step : http://www.amazon.com/Bitcoin-Step-by-ebook/dp/B00A1CUQQU
Facebook :  https://www.facebook.com/BitcoinStepByStep     Twitter : @BitcoinSbS
hugolp
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

Radix-The Decentralized Finance Protocol

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:11:47 AM

If tax laws where simple and short, how do you create loopholes?

▄████████▄
               ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
              ██▀
             ███
▄▄▄▄▄       ███
██████     ███
    ▀██▄  ▄██
     ▀██▄▄██▀
       ████▀
        ▀█▀
The Radix DeFi Protocol is
R A D I X

███████████████████████████████████

The Decentralized

Finance Protocol
Scalable
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██                   ██
██                   ██
████████████████     ██
██            ██     ██
██            ██     ██
██▄▄▄▄▄▄      ██     ██
██▀▀▀▀██      ██     ██
██    ██      ██     
██    ██      ██
███████████████████████

███
Secure
      ▄▄▄▄▄
    █████████
   ██▀     ▀██
  ███       ███

▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██             ██
██    ███████████

███
Community Driven
      ▄█   ▄▄
      ██ ██████▄▄
      ▀▀▄█▀   ▀▀██▄
     ▄▄ ██       ▀███▄▄██
    ██ ██▀          ▀▀██▀
    ██ ██▄            ██
   ██ ██████▄▄       ██▀
  ▄██       ▀██▄     ██
  ██▀         ▀███▄▄██▀
 ▄██             ▀▀▀▀
 ██▀
▄██
▄▄
██
███▄
▀███▄
 ▀███▄
  ▀████
    ████
     ████▄
      ▀███▄
       ▀███▄
        ▀████
          ███
           ██
           ▀▀

███
Radix is using our significant technology
innovations to be the first layer 1 protocol
specifically built to serve the rapidly growing DeFi.
Radix is the future of DeFi
█████████████████████████████████████

▄▄█████
  ▄████▀▀▀
  █████
█████████▀
▀▀█████▀▀
  ████
  ████
  ████

Facebook

███

▄▄
       ▄▄▄█████
  ▄▄▄███▀▀▄███
▀▀███▀ ▄██████
    █ ███████
     ██▀▀▀███
           ▀▀

Telegram

███

▄      ▄███▄▄
██▄▄▄ ██████▀
████████████
 ██████████▀
   ███████▀
 ▄█████▀▀

Twitter

██████

...Get Tokens...
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 05:05:40 AM

You know only 75% of the United States is 18+ right?
46% of working Americans don't pay any taxes or get refunds at the end of the year.

You can tax that way with the current system, a lot of people are barely making it, and the tax money at the end of the year is very helpful, let alone a husband and wife, with their 2 - 18yo just graduated kids owing 4k to the government.
BTCisthefuture

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 05:35:21 AM

This is something my 'friend' said to me when discussing bitcoins, how do i(you) respond?

Your friend is correct if you sell any of your bitcoins. Any bitcoins you sell/trade for $$$ you are suppose to report/pay when filing your taxes.  If not you do run the risk of getting caught and being audited.

No one likes to pay taxes but you probably should even if you feel like its a small amount and the IRS would never notice, the last thing you want is to be audited, being audited can literally destroy your life and cause so many headaches.  Better to just pay your taxes on any money you make from selling bitcoins.

Hourly bitcoin faucet with a gambling twist !  http://freebitco.in/?r=106463
thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 05:36:10 AM

I lost all my Bitcoins in an unfortunate boating accident.
Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 05:36:43 AM

IRS proof Wink

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 06:05:10 AM

I forgot the password, haxor took them, hard drive failure, brain wallet explosion when you kicked my door in, dog ate my paper wallet ... endless lulz to be had with that one.

muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 11:14:37 AM

IRS proof Wink

I had them in my brainwallet and forgot  Huh

I'd love to fund the IRS heroes, I feel terrible about this... Kiss

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
Gurthang

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 12:18:14 PM

If I have no choice but to pay taxes I'll gladly pay Bitcoins to a government department of my choosing that I actually believe in, so no military funding for youuuu! Tongue

Freedom is not free.  Your freedom is paid for with money and the blood of patriots.
johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 01:07:34 PM

Do you need to pay tax if you bought some wow gold?

kiba
Legendary

Merit: 1014

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 01:48:30 PM

Freedom is not free.  Your freedom is paid for with money and the blood of patriots.

That's propaganda speak.

Nobody wants to believe that the founding of their nation is based on a stupid war based on naked financial interest and tinfoil religious conspiracy theory.

mobile4ever

Activity: 546

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 02:30:25 PM

I forgot the password, haxor took them, hard drive failure, brain wallet explosion when you kicked my door in, dog ate my paper wallet ... endless lulz to be had with that one.

That is probably not necessary. I am not a tax expert, but this guy has some good things to say. I believe he knows what he is talking about. The tax rates for certain lifestyles are very different.
DataPlumber

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 03:07:38 PM

Not a lawyer, but I don't think you need to report capital gains until they're realized (ie, you cash out.)

Personally, I'm reporting that income should I incur some, because my, um, "respect" for the IRS outweighs my greed.

Besides, capital gains is taxed at a way lower rate than money I actually had to work for.  (Which is a doorway to a very off-topic discussion I'll leave closed.)

axus

Activity: 129
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:40:01 PM

You only report realized USD profits.  If you sell off your bitcoins, subtract what you spent for them.  If you don't sell your bitcoins, you are fine.  It's the same rules as gold coins.
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:42:33 PM

You only report realized USD profits.  If you sell off your bitcoins, subtract what you spent for them.  If you don't sell your bitcoins, you are fine.  It's the same rules as gold coins.
I'm not a lawyer, but this is my understanding and what my financial advisor thinks. 

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
omgitsmehehe

Activity: 580
Merit: 108

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:02:21 PM

Wait... So if I keep my BTC that I bought at say $4 and don't cash it into fiat it is not liable to CGT since it is not actually 'money'?

If that is the case, I can just buy items with BTC and sell them for fiat on fleabay?

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: