Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 02:04:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A fair valuation of bitcoin  (Read 1115 times)
valiron (OP)

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 12:35:29 AM
Last edit: April 05, 2013, 06:34:41 AM by valiron

Hi guys,

I already posted this elsewhere and I thought I might also share it with you. You can probably help me to find the exact data. Maybe this has been discussed before.

What I show below is a very rough estimate and it is a lower estimate of value assuming that a certain amount of money has to be spread over the existing bitcoins.

Beginning of December 2012 the quotation of BTC was about $13.

Since then, the number of BTCs went up from 10.498.000 to 11.982.000.

The increase of the number of wallets at bloxkchain.info is a good proxy for the increase of bitcoin users. In that period it has gone from 45.200 to 181.620 according to the data in the charts of blockchain.info.

(181.620)/(45.200) x (10.498.000)/(11.982.000) x 13 $ = [SIZE="6"]45.77 $[/SIZE]

In order to refine this computation it will be more accurate to use not the total number of bitcoins, but the number of bitcoins in circulation, i.e. substract the number of bitcoins that haven't moved in one year for example. This can be extracted from the blockchain. Anyone can point a linkk to this data? If the frozen BTCs represent about

Also, is there historic data of the number of wallets at blockchain.info?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 12:37:23 AM

Why do you assume the fair value in Dec 2012 was correct while at the same time assuming the current fair value isn't?
The same market which fairly valued it in Dec unfairly valued it now?

Maybe the fair value in Dec 2012 was $80 and it was suppressed either due to negative sentiment or by manipulation.   
robamichael

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 12:39:00 AM

Why do you assume the fair value in Dec 2012 was correct while at the same time assuming the current fair value isn't?

Maybe the fair value in Dec 2012 was $80 and it was suppressed either due to negative sentiment or by manipulation.   

This is a good point, though I am still interested in seeing what would be the result of the above analysis.

valiron (OP)

Activity: 311
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 12:46:27 AM

Good point.

I just take the value at the beginning of december because the price has been relatively stable in the previous months and from there the rally starts.

But of course I have no reason to believe that $13 in december was a fair value.

All of this is just an approximation. 
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1117
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 01:50:42 AM
Last edit: April 05, 2013, 02:04:14 AM by remotemass

The value of the network and the bitcoin protocol is that it makes some things possible that without it they wouldn't be, so it brings added value to this material world. The usefulness of it is related with the resources it takes and the amount of traffic it has. That is: how much it is being used. That's why miners are paid, in bitcoins (rewards + transaction fees) to bring about this useful network and make it has efficient and secure as possible. In a sense we could say that the new bitcoins that enter circulation to the lucky miner's designated bitcoin addresses are like "shares" of a multinational network company - that theoretically could be sold as a whole, if all bitcoin owners - in a totally unrealistic scenario - accepted to sell their parts of its "ownership", so that it could to be used as corporate/private intranet network separate from the rest of the world/net.
And these "shares ownership", that in a sense is what the bitcoins provide - as an aanalogy - is what puts you in power and with privileges to operate it - this valuable network - accordingly to how much you own.
So yeah, bitcoins are backed by their demand only. It is the simple law of demand and supply that regulates its price in the trading markets. But still, they are valuable, because they bring about to this material world a whole new lot of possibilities, sprouting something that didn't exist before and that can compete in value with any other material resources, goods or services, with its market value established by its usefulness and scarcity and for that matter its demand and supply.
It is a real thing. Virtual currency only means it exists on the internet, in a digital network, and not on your pocket. Still, it is as material and able to compete for its market value, as anything else that holds value, usefulness and scarcity.
It is still pretty much in a legal gray area, as a currency-like commodity. But it has pretty much all the necessary attributes that we associate with money, and with the medium of exchange of excellence, which used to be gold, and is now becoming 'Bitcoin: the fastest growing currency in the world; Digital cash for the internet society without banks or financial institutions controlling it"

{ Imagine a sequence of bits generated from the first decimal place of the square roots of whole integers that are irrational numbers. If the decimal falls between 0 and 5, it's considered bit 0, and if it falls between 5 and 10, it's considered bit 1. This sequence from a simple integer count of contiguous irrationals and their logical decimal expansion of the first decimal place is called the 'main irrational stream.' Our goal is to design a physical and optical computing system system that can detect when this stream starts matching a specific pattern of a given size of bits. bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=166760.0 } Satoshi did use a friend class in C++ and put a comment on the code saying: "This is why people hate C++".
b¡tco¡n

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

Correct Horse Battery Staple

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 02:19:56 AM

Fair value for a bitcoin? No such thing i'm afraid  Undecided

I brought some over valued coins at $100 recently on the expectation that other people after me will continue buying them. Thus on the expectation of future tulip buyers paying more than I did. What fun  Cheesy

1GiB1jQnqjwmNW4U4i8autnnVb1fG8HTYM

This would be my avitar; http://s9.postimg.org/m2pzsiy57/avi.png
robamichael

Activity: 144
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 02:38:09 AM

Fair value for a bitcoin? No such thing i'm afraid  Undecided

I brought some over valued coins at $100 recently on the expectation that other people after me will continue buying them. Thus on the expectation of future tulip buyers paying more than I did. What fun  Cheesy

How did a troll snag the username "bitcoin?"

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: