Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 06:11:22 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bernard Lietaer on alternative currencies  (Read 373 times)
SteveEdiger (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 01:26:40 AM

Sorry, I'm posting this here because I'm a newbie on this forum.

In his latest, Rethinking Money, Bernard does not cover Bitcoin.  I also have the feeling that he might be a bit old-school.  I went to hear him and his co-author talk about a month ago.  He's obviously very interested  in local currencies, but has also laid out a basis for multiple levels of currency:

Local Currency (thousands to tens of thousands)
Regional Currency (presumably hundreds)
National Currency (one per country?)
Multinational Currency (perhaps the idea of the Euro, which he was involve in creating, at least its pre-cursor)
Global Currency (one as a final arbitrator of all others, although he did not specify how this would be created and managed)

and

mechanisms like Commercial Credit Circuits (C3) to translate between currencies.

Perhaps Bitcoin could play a role in all of these, especially as the Global Currency as it matures.

He claims that he tracked the advent of over 4,000 local currencies, but stopped tracking them when it became too hard to stay on top of it.  Personally, if  I was in his shoes, I would ensure that each and everyone of these is not only tracked, but documented and studied.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: