Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 04:22:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is CPU mining bad for my processor?  (Read 1543 times)
smho_16 (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2016, 07:21:29 PM

I have a new processor and it gives me about 52 H/s by mining Bytecoin. So I am happily letting it run through the miner incorporated in the wallet I downloaded from bytecoin.org .

My question is , will this make the life of my brand new cpu shorter or it's not a problem at all ? Also my processor only uses about 50 watt so the electricity is almost non existent I guess .... ?
Prelude
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 10, 2016, 07:27:14 PM

Not a problem at all for you CPU. It'll work at 100% load for 20+ years, if not over-volted. Your motherboard won't last that long, though. Probably around 10 years if it's a quality board. You'll have gotten rid of it long before any issues pop up, unless something is faulty and has yet to manifest.

Might be bad for your wallet, though. Not very many things are worth mining on a CPU.
paramind22

Activity: 2646
Merit: 550

View Profile WWW
November 10, 2016, 07:29:00 PM

I posted the question before and it was said by many that CPU's are the last to go pretty much if you keep your temperature
relatively low (under 75 C is relatively low).  Check it with software for that.  I also keep an eye on my total CPU performance and try not to pin
it at 100% all the time but 100% is said to be ok as well.  Your other computer parts will go out before the CPU.

smho_16 (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 10, 2016, 08:25:37 PM

Not a problem at all for you CPU. It'll work at 100% load for 20+ years, if not over-volted. Your motherboard won't last that long, though. Probably around 10 years if it's a quality board. You'll have gotten rid of it long before any issues pop up, unless something is faulty and has yet to manifest.

Might be bad for your wallet, though. Not very many things are worth mining on a CPU.

My mainboard is top of the line MSI PRO GUARD series of 6th generation. It's good to know that my CPU will last 20+ years, cause I don't know even if I myself will be alive after 20 years Smiley. Well I have a dual core + hyperthread and I have only set it to mine ZCASH now from ZecSupernova.cc pool (finally I found how to do it and I am mining at 4-5 Sol/s, so I am only using about 50% of my processor power Smiley.

I think I am safe, cause processor is a stock core i3 not over volted and working on extreme temperatures Smiley. Thanks for your help. Anyway I will mine only 1 month to see the result than will start with an amd rx 460 card.

By the way is it bad for my mainboard mining with a GPU or only bad for the GPU(cause regarding the GPU I don't really care) ?
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 10, 2016, 11:45:04 PM

Excluding the Pentium III and Athlon chips that left the silicon unprotected by a heat spreader, I've pretty much never had a motherboard outlast the CPU on it (and I HAVE had a few CPUs outlive 2 motherboards and still be running on the 3'd MB when I finally scrapped the machine for being too old).

I've had a LOT of CPUs survive 20 years of operation.

The trick is PROPER COOLING - if you don't let them get hot, they run for a long long time.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
jkminkov

Activity: 698
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 10:11:22 AM

yes, if you use laptops.

for desktop it depends on cooling and psu, I have PSU-MB 12V 4 pin connector burned because of power hungry CPU and cheap PSU and a bad contact.

.:31211457:. 100 dollars in one place talking - Dudes, hooray, Bitcoin against us just one, but we are growing in numbers!
paramind22

Activity: 2646
Merit: 550

View Profile WWW
November 11, 2016, 02:00:10 PM

yes, if you use laptops.

for desktop it depends on cooling and psu, I have PSU-MB 12V 4 pin connector burned because of power hungry CPU and cheap PSU and a bad contact.

I would not CPU mine on laptops with even cooling at under 70 degrees.  Maybe if you have an old one you can leave on that is unusable for anything else, but then a poor person could use it for something like writing, internet and music files.   It would probably burn out quickly mining CPU, but it could also be used to run a USB ASIC. 

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: