Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:38:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tracking large amount of receive addresses for web service  (Read 812 times)
o0o0 (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1021

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 11:47:38 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

I want to create a service around using bitcoin/altcoins so have started researching into it. I've seen a lot of mentioning of the wallet notify action in the conf file directing it to a fast processing php / python whatever script. Other topics i've seen around the internet and in reddit mention that after generating large amounts of addresses the daemon can take quite some time to start up (think i saw references of 2 hours start up time).

So i started thinking and wondering a few things and thought i'd post here to get opinions from people well versed in this. Lets assume a service increases from 100 users -> 10,000 users -> 1 million users

1. How do the likes of shapeshift, bittrex, poloniex and other high amount clients handle such large amounts of receiving addresses? Do they have a modified client or do they just use wallet notify with processing scripts?

2. Do they spread their wallets across multiple server instances and say instead of having 1 wallet with 1 million receive addresses have 2 with 500k each as a sort of load balancer?

3. Could it work better if you had a limited pool of receive addresses say 100 and spread them over multiple people and determine the depositer by the address it comes from? I thought that would be a good solution so people have to send from an address but i suppose with 1 time use addresses etc this might not be a good idea? It seemed it would work well for proof of withdrawal with signing something from the sending address private key.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"This isn't the kind of software where we can leave so many unresolved bugs that we need a tracker for them." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 11, 2016, 11:53:49 PM
Merited by ABCbits (2)

Bitcoin Core should be able to handle a million addresses fine. (I've only tried about a hundred thousand.)

3. Could it work better if you had a limited pool of receive addresses say 100 and spread them over multiple people and determine the depositer by the address it comes from?

You don't want to do that. People will use web wallets or shared addresses, how do you determine who owns what. Use at least one address per person. Better if you give them a new deposit address after the first one has been sent any amount of coin.

o0o0 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2016, 12:04:29 AM

Bitcoin Core should be able to handle a million addresses fine. (I've only tried about a hundred thousand.)

3. Could it work better if you had a limited pool of receive addresses say 100 and spread them over multiple people and determine the depositer by the address it comes from?

You don't want to do that. People will use web wallets or shared addresses, how do you determine who owns what. Use at least one address per person. Better if you give them a new deposit address after the first one has been sent any amount of coin.

Doesn't this increase the load time though on the wallet with large amounts of addresses? Is there any way to keep a daemon load time at under 10 mins when there is site related wallet issues etc?

As to the new address each send i understand this is for more privacy and incase original address gets compromised etc why is it that exchanges leave the same address then unless the user requests a different address?

With the 100 thousand addresses you tried what was the daemon boot up time?
Dabs
Legendary

Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912

The Concierge of Crypto

View Profile
November 12, 2016, 12:09:16 AM

Is there any way to keep a daemon load time at under 10 mins when there is site related wallet issues etc?

The time became a factor when the oldest address is very old (used in 2012 or 2013), or if the wallet has plenty of transactions. Took anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes, maybe 40. But I am using a HDD on a laptop. I'm on a spinner, not solid state.

If you create a new wallet today, the load time even with a rescan is quite short.

That's the key, it's the load or rescan time that takes time. When the wallet is running, it works fine.

A way to keep load time low is to use SSDs, or as I have stated in another thread, to store the whole thing in RAM. Get 128 GB of RAM and create a RAM drive. Use an old server (5 year old off-lease servers with that much RAM can be bought for $600 USD).

Or use a bunch of SSDs (maybe 8 to 12, or more) and run them all RAID 0 (zero).

o0o0 (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 12, 2016, 01:22:50 AM

Is there any way to keep a daemon load time at under 10 mins when there is site related wallet issues etc?

The time became a factor when the oldest address is very old (used in 2012 or 2013), or if the wallet has plenty of transactions. Took anywhere between 20 to 30 minutes, maybe 40. But I am using a HDD on a laptop. I'm on a spinner, not solid state.

If you create a new wallet today, the load time even with a rescan is quite short.

That's the key, it's the load or rescan time that takes time. When the wallet is running, it works fine.

A way to keep load time low is to use SSDs, or as I have stated in another thread, to store the whole thing in RAM. Get 128 GB of RAM and create a RAM drive. Use an old server (5 year old off-lease servers with that much RAM can be bought for $600 USD).

Or use a bunch of SSDs (maybe 8 to 12, or more) and run them all RAID 0 (zero).

and wallet notify is still the best option? is this how exchanges and big services likely do it? or is there a better way?
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 03:54:09 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

exchanges probably use custom implementations. back in the day we learned that one of the reasons mt. gox lost so many bitcoins is because their custom implementation didn't keep up with patches to the satoshi client. I don't think the need for a custom version has changed so i think exchanges are still probably using a custom implementation because otherwise they couldn't keep up with the load.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: