Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:39:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-04-05 Al Jazeera English - Inside Story : Cashing in on the Bitcoin boom  (Read 2928 times)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 04:04:38 PM

I don't really want to go into that, but saying Amir caused the loss of BTC 60,000 is probably not correct. If shit went like I think it went (I didn't get into the details too deeply back then so please correct me if I'm wrong), then the main mistake was not with Amir but with the guy(s) who thought it was a good idea to misuse a mtgox API key (which was intended to be stored on a publicly accessible server) as password for a lastpass account which contained the mtgox credentials and to the guy(s) who decided it wasn't necessary to use 2nd-factor authentication on such a valuable account. Just because "if he hadn't released the source code, the theft wouldn't have happened" doesn't mean there aren't a lot of other things that could've led to the prevention of the theft (a crass and probably controversy-provoking example: users not putting money onto bitcoinica, a platform known to have bad security)

It's quite interesting he even kind-of brought this up (not as though anyone in the round made the connection).

Amir doesn't represent the whole of the Bitcoin community. Neither does Gavin. Neither does Satoshi. He represents a part of it and I think an important part of it. Incidentally I think the ideas he argues for are what kept bitcoin growing in the early days when probably most of the people complaining about him now thought of bitcoin as some penny-stock or crypto-brain-fart that would never work.

Now that it works and bitcoin indeed supports a thriving global "economy of the people", these kinds of views are still held by a large portion of the Bitcoin community and they will not go away.

I also think there's nothing wrong with "declaring war" on the current fiat regime and (to a degree) the nationstates feeding off it. That's just being honest, because frankly what will the result of widespread use of bitcoin be? Of course: bankers can't print money and governments can only spend what they receive in taxes. What's not to like about that?

I think all of the guests made good comments and raised important issues. I loved the indian guy, not only for his accent but also for saying stuff like "There are a thousand problems yet to be solved" and "We're only at chapter 1/10 in the bitcoin book".

None of the guests was really opposed to bitcoin. Amir answered to most of their concerns... not necessarily to their satisfaction, though.

In all: A good discussion.

I agree it wouldn't hurt his image and effectiveness if Amir acted a little less like Max Keiser and a little more like Trace Mayer. I think it's just a result of the fact that he speaks from his heart and burns inside for the freedom of the people.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mai77

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 04:25:06 PM

guy looks as if he got a haircut in Cyprus  Grin
xcsler

Activity: 227
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 05:37:46 PM

I appreciated Amir's passion. People who truly understand how f'd up the world financial situation is and how fiat currencies have empowered kleptocrats should be mad as heck. Bitcoin is a game changer; a tool that the disenfranchised can use to even the playing field. Everyone should be as angry as Amir, at least on the inside.

I also love Bitcoin's "big tent". The fact that the supporters span from guys like Trace Mayer, a Caucasian American from the Midwest with his neatly coiffured hair, tailored suits, and calm demeanor to Amir Taaki, an outspoken no holds barred Brit of Iranian ancestry with a mohawk, is a beautiful thing!

Bitcoin-- If you can't beat 'em, change the rules!
mai77

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 05:52:40 PM

ya bitcoin: where Iranians and jews are united! LOL
xcsler

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 08:25:27 PM

ya bitcoin: where Iranians and jews are united! LOL

Ever hear of these guys?

mai77

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:24:55 PM

left guy being equipped with Arafat sunglasses  Shocked
xcsler

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:36:56 PM

left guy being equipped with Arafat sunglasses  Shocked

Yeah, that's the Jewish guy though.  Smiley

From their Wikipedia page:
Chromeo is composed of P-Thugg (real name Patrick Gemayel, born in Lebanon, July 31, 1979) on keyboards, synthesizers, and talk box, and Dave 1 (real name David Macklovitch, b. June 7, 1978) on guitar and lead vocals. The two childhood friends jokingly describe themselves as "the only successful Arab/Jewish partnership since the dawn of human culture."

Great music BTW
mai77

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:49:38 PM

seemingly unaware of reality though  Sad
Kazu

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 05:24:51 AM

bitcoin: where Iranians and jews are united!

New catchphrase.

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:33:34 AM

I dunno... I'm new to spending effort looking into news characterizations of this movement. But while I really appreciate the buttoned down approach of a Trace Mayer, I think Amir comported himself well here. The 'talking over' was kind of jarring, but he came of as knowledgeable, articulate, and concerned about what he convincingly put forth as the evil of central banks.

The first time I've seen him in a long format, and the first time he didn't come of as vacuous. Indeed, it changed my impression of him to the better.

I don't know why the news agencies are coalescing around a handful of go-to bitcoin peeps. But in all honesty we cold do worse.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
simplydt

Activity: 126

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 08:14:52 AM

Amir should really tone it down a couple of notches. He is making Bitcoin look like some kindergarden plan to overtake the world.

I stopped watching after 7 minutes, I thought he was way over the top with his bitcoin enthusiasm. Whenever asked a question he would not even answer, just ramble on again. :S
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:01:41 PM

Amir should really tone it down a couple of notches. He is making Bitcoin look like some kindergarden plan to overtake the world.

I stopped watching after 7 minutes, I thought he was way over the top with his bitcoin enthusiasm. Whenever asked a question he would not even answer, just ramble on again. :S

you should watch it again.  this time the whole thing.
simplydt

View Profile WWW
April 09, 2013, 05:32:12 PM

you should watch it again.  this time the whole thing.

A state of anarchy that's gonna happen? I don't get it, I don't think bitcoin is gonna help cause Anarchy... he kind of contradicts himself, because he says technology empowers good people, why would good people cause Anarchy? Good people would declare their bitcoins and pay taxes on it.

Anyway, watched it all as per your recommendation. Not too bad.
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
April 09, 2013, 06:15:55 PM

why would good people cause Anarchy?

I think you share a popular misconception regarding what anarchy actually _is_. Most anarchists I know (and I do know a few - or at least a few that advocate anarchy as a societal organization) don't think it's a good thing to run around throwing molotov cocktails. Most seem to be firmly wedded to the principles of voluntaryism and non-aggression.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
simplydt

View Profile WWW
April 11, 2013, 06:55:35 AM

why would good people cause Anarchy?

I think you share a popular misconception regarding what anarchy actually _is_. Most anarchists I know (and I do know a few - or at least a few that advocate anarchy as a societal organization) don't think it's a good thing to run around throwing molotov cocktails. Most seem to be firmly wedded to the principles of voluntaryism and non-aggression.

Good point. Thanks.
Cubic Earth
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1018

View Profile
April 11, 2013, 07:05:32 AM

guy looks as if he got a haircut in Cyprus  Grin

Cause he lost 70%?
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: