Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 08:14:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I have a question, was the price stable for a few days before the last crash  (Read 1128 times)
drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 01:06:18 PM

When the last real crash happened, from 33 down to 2, just before the 33 started to tumble, was the price stable like it is now?

I ask because I feel like a lot of people are selling Bitcoins in small steady amounts and it could be the old whales cashing out, and all it takes is one of them to cash out to fast and then we might get true panic.

I'm kinda worried, I just want to know what it was like back then.

Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 01:10:31 PM

I don't get this. If it's stable people worry, if it falls those same people presumably worry at least as much...so the only days you're not worried is when it's painting a big green candle?

Anyway, to answer your question, it's generally been stable right before it launches higher.
drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 01:11:29 PM

I don't get this. If it's stable people worry, if it falls those same people presumably worry at least as much...so the only days you're not worried is when it's painting a big green candle?

Anyway, to answer your question, it's generally been stable right before it launches higher.

oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 01:35:22 PM

I don't think it's so difficult to check out the chart yourself, but anyway FYI here is the hourly chart of the whole crash in June 2011, http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#igHourlyzczsg2011-06-06zeg2011-06-12ztgSza1gSMAzm1g200zm2g21zv
there are a number of traits for you to see:

1.The price moved up very fast before the top, can be 100% per day.
2. The price then made a rapid downmove, which in itself is not enough for you to distinguish a crash from a normal correction.
3. The price then slowly recovered but never reached the previous top.
4. The price then started to decline slowly but surely, for a few days, at this stage it becomes more and more clean that the selling pressure is outweighing the buying pressure and the current price range could not last for long.
5. Eventually the price made a final decisive move below the brown hourly SMA 200 line, accompanied by large volume, which marked the beginning of the bear market.

But it's just the past, which very well may not tell anything about the future.

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
Jobe7

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Now they are thinking what to do with me

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 01:42:58 PM

When the last real crash happened, from 33 down to 2, just before the 33 started to tumble, was the price stable like it is now?

I ask because I feel like a lot of people are selling Bitcoins in small steady amounts and it could be the old whales cashing out, and all it takes is one of them to cash out to fast and then we might get true panic.

What 'journalists' (and sometimes others) often fail to mention is that the 'crash' was caused by a certain bitcoin exchanger getting 'hacked' (it wasn't 'hacked' as people understand the conventional term, the person in charge was daft and accidentely let someone get hold of his admin passwords.

When this occured around $250,000 worth of bitcoin was stolen and sold, if you check the charts its easy to see and understand how this amount of btc being sold suddenly (at that time the capital of the market was nowhere near its current size) would 'crash' its market.
drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 01:59:47 PM

From your replies it seems like the situation around that time was completely different meaning we are in different waters now. No past lessons to learn from.
ehoffman

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:05:50 PM

Not much...

Like my comments?  Cheer me up at 137s1qFV63M6SXWhKkwjaZKEeZX23pq1hw
Don't like my comments, donate to the BCRT (better comment research team) here at 1A1PbZypjEe7yanj69ApVS1FhK8UMW7Wdc Smiley
ruski

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 12:13:29 AM

The community was like it was now - people like you terrified that the price might dip just a tiny little bit and ready to sell on a hair trigger.

Not much...

Short term I'd say we're looking at yet another break to the upside. If it breaks down, it could be a reversal. Somehow I doubt it.

Kazu

Activity: 168

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:29:15 AM

I don't think it's so difficult to check out the chart yourself, but anyway FYI here is the hourly chart of the whole crash in June 2011, http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#igHourlyzczsg2011-06-06zeg2011-06-12ztgSza1gSMAzm1g200zm2g21zv

2. The price then made a rapid downmove, which in itself is not enough for you to distinguish a crash from a normal correction.
4. The price then started to decline slowly but surely, for a few days, at this stage it becomes more and more clean that the selling pressure is outweighing the buying pressure and the current price range could not last for long.
5. Eventually the price made a final decisive move below the brown hourly SMA 200 line, accompanied by large volume, which marked the beginning of the bear market.

I'm not a bear but....

1. The price moved up very fast before the top ($147).
2. The price made a very rapid downmove (to $108 or $100 if you ask btc-e)
3. The price then slowly recovered...

GUISE, WE NEED TO REACH THE PREVIOUS TOP...

CoinLenders - Bitcoin Bank Script / Demo
1v.io/kazu - 15ccW7m6RxDFWEKc3P1NdwWpX1N1pU7gZ8
oakpacific

Activity: 784

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:46:34 AM

I'm not a bear but....

1. The price moved up very fast before the top ($147).
2. The price made a very rapid downmove (to $108 or $100 if you ask btc-e)
3. The price then slowly recovered...

GUISE, WE NEED TO REACH THE PREVIOUS TOP...

IMHO, no.4 is the distinctive trait, no.5 is the last selling opportunity. All else we have seen before in this rally,

https://tlsnotary.org/ Fraud proofing decentralized fiat-Bitcoin trading.
XXthetimeisnowXX

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

a wolf in sheeps clothing. suckerfish

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:51:43 AM

thanks you said it for me.
 Grin
ruski

Activity: 350

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:54:25 AM

Or, it could be the "recovery" bull trap after retreating from the NEW PARADIGM!!11

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: