Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 03:06:29 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 51% attack against Bytecoin imminent?  (Read 3554 times)
pandemic

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 04:45:52 AM

I'm not going to take this april fools currency seriously. One day before or after and I'd be on it. I think this currency is a trolls work.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 05:34:26 AM

I just noticed a checkpoint has been placed at Bytecoin's block 12305.

Amitabh S
Legendary

Activity: 1001
Merit: 1003

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 06:11:28 AM

Lets take down BTE, and while we are at it, lets also destroy LTC Grin Grin

Coinsecure referral ID: https://coinsecure.in/signup/refamit (use this link to signup)
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 06:31:53 AM

Will you take down the Euro as well?

I think it doing that itself without our intervention.

drawingthesun (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1176

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:23:40 AM

How does one set a checkpoint?
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 08:11:46 AM

How does one set a checkpoint?

Hard coded into project code.

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:10:26 AM

Ok i expect that this is wrong but here is a theory. (ive never mined an alt coin before this one)

perhaps since bytecoin is a clone of bitcoin it is very easy for miners to adapt their current setup with very little extra effort, where as with mining litecoin for example they would have reconfigure a lot of stuff and they dont see it as worth their time.

This is true,.

Well it looks like the hashrate as gone down a bit. I'm really curious if this will still be around in a months time.

I think a lot of people might have switched to mine a few coins just incase :p

i think it has a lot of potential. One single blockchain can not hold every transaction in the world for long and since bitcoin1 worked so well, why mess with a good thing, just use bitcoin2 to hold the overflow, and bitcoin3 if it ever comes to that ect....

So would btc 1,2,and 3 be priced near the same?

almost certainly not. the original will always be most valuable and number 2 would almost certainly be more valuable than number 3 ect...

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
simonk83

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:29:32 AM

Bytecoin is ridiculous.  We all know it, some people are just mining it on the off chance that people's IQ's suddenly drop sharply and this thing takes off.

To be honest I'm a little embarrassed that it's been allowed to carry on as long as it has.  This community should be smarter than that.
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 11:08:06 AM

Bytecoin is ridiculous.  We all know it, some people are just mining it on the off chance that people's IQ's suddenly drop sharply and this thing takes off.

To be honest I'm a little embarrassed that it's been allowed to carry on as long as it has.  This community should be smarter than that.

when transaction fees begin to become a problem for people they are going to look for an alt chains to use to avoid those fees. Since bitcoin1 worked so well why not a bitcoin2? its familiar, its tried and tested, we know it works we know its reliable we know it has the full weight of the bitcoin development team behind it.

Dont get me wrong im all for innovation, but only legitimate innovation, not changing a few properties just for the sake of it, just so you can say that your altcoin is different. Thats the sort of "innovation" we see in all altcoins (that or they are broken like ppc). If that is the sort of innovation we are being offered than i say no thanks, ill stick with good old bitcoin and since good old bitcoin is going to run out of room eventually, ill move on to good old bitcoin2. Of course that is subject to change if someone does happen to create a cryptocurrency that is legitimately innovative, and a bet on bitcoin2 is a bet on the chance that this doesnt happen, how ever likely that may or may not be.

If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
superduh

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:11:04 AM

when transaction fees begin to become a problem for people they are going to look for an alt chains to use to avoid those fees. Since bitcoin1 worked so well why not a bitcoin2? its familiar, its tried and tested, we know it works we know its reliable we know it has the full weight of the bitcoin development team behind it.

Dont get me wrong im all for innovation, but only legitimate innovation, not changing a few properties just for the sake of it, just so you can say that your altcoin is different. Thats the sort of "innovation" we see in all altcoins (that or they are broken like ppc). If that is the sort of innovation we are being offered than i say no thanks, ill stick with good old bitcoin and since good old bitcoin is going to run out of room eventually, ill move on to good old bitcoin2. Of course that is subject to change if someone does happen to create a cryptocurrency that is legitimately innovative, and a bet on bitcoin2 is a bet on the chance that this doesnt happen, how ever likely that may or may not be.

for someone who has over 600+ posts i would assume you are much smarter than this. i also assume since it doesn't cost much to get in you are gambling on the .0000001% chance that it'll pay off.

ok
Anon136
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:21:38 AM

for someone who has over 600+ posts i would assume you are much smarter than this. i also assume since it doesn't cost much to get in you are gambling on the .0000001% chance that it'll pay off.

This looks awfully adhominemish to me. Either way ill let it slide. I do not expect my investment to pay off, it is in my mind a lottery ticket type investment. With that being said i have already broken even on my initial investment with 5k bte to spare. So no harm done, now i sit and wait and see.

meebs

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:10:21 AM

How can they have a 16k difficulty mining at 10% of the bitcoin network when the bitcoin difficulty is orders of magnitude bigger?
Also, didn't they started from difficulty 1? I thought so and that they shared the code with bitcoin . if so, how can they have already had a difficult retarget that brought them to 4000?
I don't know, I don't care.

Whats happened is the difficulty was 1 and because of all the hashing power being pointed towards the Bytecoin network the difficulty is readjusting at the fastest possible amount that it will allow.

So far the difficulty is jumping 4 times on each retarget, and because it can't jump more than 4 times (I think this is true of Bitcoin too, that the difficulty can not retarget more than 4 times the current target) then the blocks end up getting solved far quicker because the retargets are happening as fast a what allowed by the code.

so after 16,000 it will jump straight up to 64,000 and so on before it equalizes and blocks start getting solved in the 10 minutes time span again.

any new altcoin that starts at diff1 is BS. it needs to be at least 1600 IMO, as diff 1 just lends the insiders and very first folk to suck up WAY to many coins right off teh bat.

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:27:45 AM

I disagree.

Yes it was easy to mine a block, but they were being mined so fast (every few seconds) 99% of them were orphaned.

Impaler

Activity: 826
Merit: 250

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:51:50 AM

any new altcoin that starts at diff1 is BS. it needs to be at least 1600 IMO, as diff 1 just lends the insiders and very first folk to suck up WAY to many coins right off teh bat.

This is why I advocate for the BitCoin source-repository  be updated with a higher initial difficulty so people can not start at difficulty 1 by mere ignorance of downloading the code, making no changes and starting a chain.

THIS DOSE NOT CHANGE THE BTC BLOCK CHAIN, THE INITIAL DIFFICULTY IN CODE IN A REPOSITORY HAS NO EFFECT ON THE CURRENT BLOCK CHAIN, DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND THIS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

I suspect most chains that start at difficulty 1 are doing it out of ignorance and it's just a land-mine waiting for people to step on as several alt-chains already have.  Likewise the difficulty adjustment code needs improvement, but that is a larger undertaking.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
CryptoTalk.org| 
MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!
🏆
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 05:57:44 AM

To be honest I'm a little embarrassed that it's been allowed to carry on as long as it has.

What do you mean with 'allowing to carry on'?

Buffer Overflow
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 06:07:51 AM

To be honest I'm a little embarrassed that it's been allowed to carry on as long as it has.

I missed that one as well. "Allowed to carry on", by whom?

The community will decide if it lives or dies at the end of the day. We shall see...

simonk83

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 06:09:41 AM

I mean people wasting their time getting all set up to mine it instead of ignoring it and letting it quietly disappear into nothingness.  Basically.
saigo

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 06:13:46 AM

Says the person with a pyramining link in his sig

Hmm 'allowed to carry on' , 'allowed' - really dude ?

It will live or die, and the latter probably more likely yes, but don't stop folks experimenting and learning and having some fun.

Saigō Takamori : ( 1828 – 1877) was one of the most influential samurai in Japanese history. He has been dubbed the last true samurai.
simonk83

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:16:06 AM

Hmm 'allowed to carry on' , 'allowed' - really dude ?

Fair enough, poor choice of words.  I'm not trying to be CryptoHitler or anything Cheesy

I was getting ready to type up my reasoning, but this guy has pretty much said it for me:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=168814.msg1756085#msg1756085
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:20:19 AM

Allowed by whom? The community? Moderators? God?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: