Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:09:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Let the Newbies back in?  (Read 4403 times)
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 12:54:18 PM

At the very least the 50 post count should be in place for starting new threads.  And then there should be enough moderators floating around to see if somebody is just crap posting all over the forums.

Let the ban hammer swing.

-airdata

incorrect, any reasonable individual would be able to see how this would lead to a major infux in unrelated responses. I'm not calling YOU unreasonable, because most likely you merely have not thought of this.

People can have 1 OMG THE SKY IS FALLING thread, but we don't need 50 created over one weekend.  This isn't the pokemon forums, people are heavily investing in bitcoin and people aren't a part of that shouldn't be allowed to come into the forums and just shit all over the place.. Somebody has to clean that stuff up. 

hell... even sticky a CRASH!!!! thread.  But outside of that, I'd honestly keyword restrict threads with any similar words in the title.  If people want to bump the CRASH!!! thread... go ahead.. just don't try creating another 10 of them.

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
yeponlyone

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:02:26 PM

At the very least the 50 post count should be in place for starting new threads.  And then there should be enough moderators floating around to see if somebody is just crap posting all over the forums.

Let the ban hammer swing.

-airdata

incorrect, any reasonable individual would be able to see how this would lead to a major infux in unrelated responses. I'm not calling YOU unreasonable, because most likely you merely have not thought of this.
.. Somebody has to clean that stuff up. 

somebody, yes. but not somebody FOR everybody. the SOMEBODY you are reffering to is YOU for YOURSELF. YOU should chose what YOU get to see. this can be accomplished with a HIDE THIS THREAD button, it hides the thread from you, not the ENTIRE WORLD. let me know if i was unclear, i will simplify it, it is worth my time for you to grasp this thought since we share a planet together.
airdata

Activity: 1148
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 04:56:25 PM

How is this even up for any sort of debate?

If you run a forum and people are starting the same thread over and over again, the only logical thing to do is prevent that from happening.  New users shouldn't come into the forums and be overwhelmed with 9/10 threads being troll threads.

There is no debate about that at all...

If somebody has a valid argument they want to raise somewhere.. cool.. Do it, but don't spam the forums. 

▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄        ▄▄▄▄███████▄▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄  ▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄▄█████████████████████▄
██████████▀▀  █████████████████▀      ▀████████████████▀      ▀████████
▄█████████     ████████████████   ▄██▄   ██████████████   ▄██▄   ███████▄
████████████   ███████████████████████   ████████████████████▀   ████████
████████████   █████████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████     █████████
████████████   ███████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████████▄   ████████
▀███████████   █████████████████▀   ▄██████████████████   ▀██▀   ███████▀
███████████   ████████████████          ███████████████▄      ▄████████
▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀  ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀        ▀▀▀▀███████▀▀▀▀
......swap...Swap, Earn, Bridge, Mint Crypto
& NFT in Multiple Chains
...MVP LIVE...
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 10:41:20 PM

The issue with people not speaking English is a valid one, though ... maybe new people should be allowed into those forums ... and people posting English in those forums be banned after second warning ;-)
The local forums are exempt from the restrictions.

Honestly, the Newbie forums have been a very positive change for the forum. The newb posts outside of that forum have dropped to levels we haven't seen in weeks, and the newbies are actually getting the help they need instead of being chastised by the old forum members.

Don't have 4 hours to kill and you want to announce the launch of a new Bitcoin business? We'll whitelist you. Personally, I've been whitelisting around 20 people per day.

The system works.

jhansen858

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 12:36:14 AM

I was wondering what happened.. it seemed like the average IQ of this forum went up about 20 points in the last week.  Keep the trolls out.  Its not hard to get 5 posts or 4 hours accumulated. 

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 12:38:49 AM

I was wondering what happened.. it seemed like the average IQ of this forum went up about 20 points in the last week.  Keep the trolls out.  Its not hard to get 5 posts or 4 hours accumulated. 

I used to act much more like a troll here until other people magically stopped. It's funny how that works.
yeponlyone

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 12:55:57 AM

The issue with people not speaking English is a valid one, though ... maybe new people should be allowed into those forums ... and people posting English in those forums be banned after second warning ;-)

Honestly, the Newbie forums have been a very positive change for the forum. The newb posts outside of that forum have dropped to levels we haven't seen in weeks, and the newbies are actually getting the help they need instead of being chastised by the old forum members.

Don't have 4 hours to kill and you want to announce the launch of a new Bitcoin business? We'll whitelist you. Personally, I've been whitelisting around 20 people per day.

The system works.

we still have issues like bitcoin7.com not being able to reach the proper audience and so he had to wait for 2 hours until i got his PM to post his new exchange site. I have posted the new exchange in general now though, hopefully he will be permitted to post so he can talk about it himself.
imperi

Activity: 196
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 01:07:14 AM

Has anyone else noticed a correlation between price stability and the noobs/trolls being gone?
Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 01:08:03 AM

The system works.

we still have issues like bitcoin7.com not being able to reach the proper audience and so he had to wait for 2 hours until i got his PM to post his new exchange site. I have posted the new exchange in general now though, hopefully he will be permitted to post so he can talk about it himself.
Huh? I whitelisted him a few hours ago. He can post it himself...

Swishercutter

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 02:12:39 AM

I think restricting newbies is a good idea. They tend to always post the same topic (Bitcoin is a scam LoL!), and usually don't understand bitcoin yet. Restricting them to a nice place with a few motivated people to teach them about bitcoin is a good idea, and it leaves this place for people with interesting things to say for people who actually understand bitcoin.

While I agree that you can learn a lot at this forum, I would be extremely interesting in the for opinion of for example people working in banks, stockexchanges, or with high degrees in Economics or Business etc etc even if they just learned about Bitcoin

I'm not sure they get the concept of Bitcoin...and seeing as they view anything that opposes feeding the banks I doubt most will have any more valuable insight. 

I had a friend who works at a private country club tell me that some members were discussing Bitcoin the other day...he said how "...if they are talking about it then it should get big...", I replied "...it already is big...they are late to the game...as was I".

Then lets get into this whole "Bitcoin black friday"...only to the sheep...currency traders love that kind of volatility, most markets don't allow that kind of movement in a day...the only real problem is depth...tough to make millions in a day but easy to double a small amount if you play the market right.
AllYourBase

Activity: 138

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:29:22 AM

The issue of when and how to moderate has been brought up many times before; I remember in particular a big debate about a month and a half ago.  The conclusion I think was live and let live. 

Better to have the forums match the user base of bitcoins than to get into the quagmire of a few individuals choosing how to shape the reflection of the bitcoin user base I say.  Information about bitcoin has been posted in many places where trolls abound, thereby attracting them.  Too late now. 

Applying a lens across the people who post here distorts the real picture of the market; that's not any better for business. 
Vince Torres

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:31:11 AM

Yes, also so they can spam the forums till no end.

Namecoin.com .bit domain registrar. Register a new .bit domain for just $1!
BTC: 1LpKzg24NHmrxLZbnVphcstV3s7uA8cSnT
LTC: LWHswCFRPouCXTNiT8B9HUVnGrae9eojVg
kwhcoin

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:44:17 AM

I had been lurking for a while and when I finally got motivated to post I signed up and saw the newbie restriction. It was a bit disappointing, but 5 posts and 4 hours isn't so bad. It helped me learn about the myths section. However, if I had to make 50 posts in the newbie section that may have been difficult Wink
TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:50:05 AM

I know this could probably be gamed if the question pool was too small, but it would be an interesting experiment. My suggestion is this:

What if to shorten your wait time by 'n' amount, you had to answer correctly some factual questions about bitcoin? That would serve two purposes, educate those that need to learn, frustrate any potential troll since you are forcing them to read about the subject and comprehend it.

I suppose you could formulate some questions based on the wiki and serve them up randomly from a given pool. Just a thought. Not sure if the forum could even support that kind of functionality.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
yeponlyone

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:50:46 AM

The issue of when and how to moderate has been brought up many times before; I remember in particular a big debate about a month and a half ago.  The conclusion I think was live and let live. 

Better to have the forums match the user base of bitcoins than to get into the quagmire of a few individuals choosing how to shape the reflection of the bitcoin user base I say.  Information about bitcoin has been posted in many places where trolls abound, thereby attracting them.  Too late now. 

Applying a lens across the people who post here distorts the real picture of the market; that's not any better for business. 

whats this!? uncensored society!? somebody stop this man before he starts saying i should be able to put whatever i want into my own body! this is an outrage!
yeponlyone

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:51:43 AM

I know this could probably be gamed if the question pool was too small, but it would be an interesting experiment. My suggestion is this:

What if to shorten your wait time by 'n' amount, you had to answer correctly some factual questions about bitcoin? That would serve two purposes, educate those that need to learn, frustrate any potential troll since you are forcing them to read about the subject and comprehend it.

I suppose you could formulate some questions based on the wiki and serve them up randomly from a given pool. Just a thought. Not sure if the forum could even support that kind of functionality.

+1
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 03:52:27 AM

Has anyone else noticed a correlation between price stability and the noobs/trolls being gone?

Now that you mention it...yes.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:53:34 AM

short and sweet:

http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=17107.0
yeponlyone

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:59:10 AM

Now that you mention it...yes.

anyone else notice that the price staying roughly the same for a couple days has been happening over and over for the past year? I'll tell you what i noticed, my neighbor had a different maid come by right when the price started to dip from 30. coincidence? I think not!
billyjoeallen
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 04:34:10 AM

Everything you write makes the case to keep noobs in the playpen stronger. Hell, I wouldn't even trust ME if I were an old-timer. That Black Friday crash was a coordinated attack and the trolls scared many people out of their money.  We needed a correction, but that stampede was stared deliberately.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: