Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 10:14:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this right? BFL, rig should I buy?  (Read 804 times)
Ampix0 (OP)

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 03:28:40 PM

Looking at the bitcoin calculator (http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator). It seems right now that the BFL (https://products.butterflylabs.com/5-gh-s-bitcoin-miner.html) 5 GH/s Bitcoin Miner would make you $103 per day, and it itself costs $274.

Can anyone tell me why not to buy this? Did I do this math right? I understand that as the value of the coins go up the difficulty goes up as well. I do not think I know enough why I shouldn't buy this. It seems to me that in $3 days I would have my money back. Tell me why I am wrong lol

Neverest

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:29:51 PM

It would seem right. Alas BFL has never shipped anything. By the time you would get yours (if ever), the math has changed.
fredtrader

Activity: 56

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:31:01 PM

Looking at the bitcoin calculator (http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator). It seems right now that the BFL (https://products.butterflylabs.com/5-gh-s-bitcoin-miner.html) 5 GH/s Bitcoin Miner would make you $103 per day, and it itself costs $274.

Can anyone tell me why not to buy this? Did I do this math right? I understand that as the value of the coins go up the difficulty goes up as well. I do not think I know enough why I shouldn't buy this. It seems to me that in $3 days I would have my money back. Tell me why I am wrong lol

They have been delaying shipment for over half a year and have never shipped a product, some believe them to be a scam.
s7ryker

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 03:41:14 PM

the BFL will launch in 2140 at that time Starwarscoin will be no. 1
Aahzman

Activity: 602
Merit: 500

Your *what* is itchy?

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:06:09 PM

If you ordered NOW, it will be several months until you receive your miner (assuming they start shipping soon), and the network difficulty will have increased to compensate for the massive influx of BFL ASIC miners that hit the scene before you got yours.   There are over 20,000 orders ahead of you (some say as many as 30,000).  By the time you receive one (nobody has one "in hand" yet, btw, although BFL claims to be in final testing) you'll be lucky to make a couple of dollars a day.

Someone who knows more about the intricacies of how network difficulty is calculated needs to do the math for ya and try to come up with a projection of what the difficulty could be in say,  July.

whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 04:19:57 PM

1. Please correct SGC (spelling, grammar, capitalization) in your title: Is this right? BFL, rig should I buy? > Looking at a BFL rig - OK to buy? Smiley

2. Currently, the authenticity of the new BFL ASICs is not very trusted, as, as said, they have failed to deliver. However, Avalon have delivered some batches of their ASICs...

3. If BFL does ship, most people using GPUs to mine will be overtaken by the rapidly increasing difficulty. So, beware!

4. By the time you get your ASIC, others will have already raised the bar in terms of difficulty, and you won't get as much as predicted. Sad

5. I work for tips, you know Cheesy (You can find my address in my signature)

(Quotes on BFL)
They have been delaying shipment for over half a year and have never shipped a product, some believe them to be a scam.

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
Ampix0 (OP)

Activity: 168

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 01:54:38 AM

Ok I have decided not to buy it then. sounds like a total scam. Is there a similar product.

middlemarkal

Activity: 181

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 02:07:28 AM

That's just it, now there is only 2 choice, Avalon gone in 30 minutes,

BFL LOOOONNNGGGG waiting list and price just doubled.

NO OTHER CHOICE. Sad

DISCIPLINA — The First Blockchain For HR & Education
From core developers of Cardano, PoS minting, unique Web Of Trust & Privacy algorithms. Be the first, join us!
  WEBSITE  TELEGRAM  ANN  BOUNTY  LINKEDIN  WHITEPAPER  Referral Program 5%
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 02:48:20 AM

ASICMiner has been threatening to sell hardware at auction and ship immediately. Like Avalon they actually have confirmed working chips...currently gobbling up 12% of Bitcoins minted at 7Th. I'd look into that before I threw a nickel at BFL.

eadmanday

Activity: 19

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:03:39 AM

I too have looked at buying a BFL unit.  Although i have not pulled the trigger because of the delay in just basic communication. It seems like they have been in the final stages of testing for 7 months.
Russ.Dill@gmail.com

Activity: 7

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:17:52 AM

Wow, the whole ASIC thing is rough. Litecoin anyone?
aspect

Activity: 57

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 04:10:04 AM

BFL prices just doubled :-/
whiskers75

Activity: 658
Merit: 502

Doesn't use these forums that often.

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 04:57:53 AM

What? Doubled? OK, there is NO way those are legit. No company doubles prices just like that, and fails to ship in time.

Elastic.pw Elastic - The Decentralized Supercomputer
ELASTIC ANNOUNCEMENT THREAD | ELASTIC SLACK | ELASTIC FORUM
Behemot

Activity: 152

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 08:48:32 PM

Lol. I have been watching it from beginning of the year. It seems they really have something now, but

a) haven't shipped yet and will most likely do soonest in the mid of april
b) the preorders number is now several times higher than there will be CHIPS in the first other (and remember, everything but Jalapeno has MORE THAN ONE chip)
c) the first batch will draw more power than they specified

So if you order now, you will get it MAYBE in second batch which will happen who knows when. I expected them to cut prices because than the profitability will be worse than poor (the network hashrate and difficulty will rise three decimals in COUPLE OF DAYS so in several weeks the ASICs will make as much money as todays graphics rigs, but but several time higher price). They have risen prices now? Lol… Cheesy

northcape

Activity: 98

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:02:50 PM

What? Doubled? OK, there is NO way those are legit. No company doubles prices just like that, and fails to ship in time.

I think they are simply trying to get the original, disgruntled pre-orderers to resell their imaginary machines now so that new people are left holding the bag (to maximise the time until the whole scam blows up). It’s amazing to watch.
baad

Activity: 70

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:18:49 PM

It will change, as they start shipping and the difficulty goes up. ATM you calculate well, but the rig is not accessible. Probably they hold the stuff back to harvest lot of BTC Smiley
creativex

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 01:24:07 PM

It will change, as they start shipping and the difficulty goes up. ATM you calculate well, but the rig is not accessible. Probably they hold the stuff back to harvest lot of BTC Smiley

The difficulty *IS* going up and they're not shipping. They're not shipping because they have nothing to ship and nothing to "harvest lot of BTC". BFL's competition(Avalon and ASICMiner) have kicked their asses and as a result the value of an investment in BFL hardware is dropping in value every minute of every day, which makes BFLs recent price increase and performance decrease all the more absurd.

xgf666

Activity: 17

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 02:45:30 PM

If I have a formula to create 103$ worth of gold per day I wouldn't sell it for 204$... nor for 100k btw  Cool
The question is if I dress like Santa and walk the street to ask random people $100 to bring them a BMW for christmas can I be called a scammer if they are stupid enough to handle me the money ?  Grin
creativex

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 03:05:13 PM

The question is if I dress like Santa and walk the street to ask random people $100 to bring them a BMW for christmas can I be called a scammer if they are stupid enough to handle me the money ?  Grin

Umm...yes. Just because lots of people are stupid and/or reckless doesn't give you the right to breach a verbal contract and steal from them.

Now back to BFL...oh wait that was about BFL?!?...I see what you did there.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: