Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:51:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Imagine it is 10 years from now, and you have to pick up a few items at the grocery store. After scanning your items, you pull out your smartphone and scan the QR code on the payment screen, and touch "Authorize Payment". How did you pay?
Bitcoin
Something built on top of bitcoin (e.g. colored bitcoins)
Something that replaced bitcoin
Government currency
An alternate coin or protocol
Other (post in comments)

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [POLL] How will you buy groceries in 10 years?  (Read 1862 times)
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4592
Merit: 1276

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:40:00 PM

Grow my own, and barter with neighbors who are doing the same.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make sure you back up your wallet regularly! Unlike a bank account, nobody can help you if you lose access to your BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AgeraS

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:03:21 PM

An article I read said that if all credit card transactions in the united states were done in Bitcoins, the block chain would be 600GB per year. If that is the case, then Bitcoin will not be used for day-to-day transactions. I think in ten years I will be 3D printing my food...well maybe more like thirty years from now.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:47:57 PM

An article I read said that if all credit card transactions in the united states were done in Bitcoins, the block chain would be 600GB per year. If that is the case, then Bitcoin will not be used for day-to-day transactions. I think in ten years I will be 3D printing my food...well maybe more like thirty years from now.

The block chain is probably going to need to be in RAM due to access issues, but 600GB per year is easily within the grasp of what a modest sized outfit can do today.  Probably within what many private class users could achieve in the not to distant future.

My main beef with the soothing 'official' scalability projections are that the sights are probably to low in just meeting the credit card use rates.  For every credit care transaction I do, I probably do 50 cash ones, and I don't think that credit care use is as high in most parts of the world as in the US.  (The other thing which bothers me is that already the system is displaying instability at the current tiny use rates and development speed is probably not nearly high enough...begging support from well capitalized entities to lend a hand...)

So, it seems pretty pointless to try to make native Bitcoin be a dominant transaction currency solution.  That leave two choices:

1) Keep it as a tight 'reserve currency' that can be secured by a large number of autonomous users operating on disposable budgets throughout the world, and ride 'exchange currency' solutions on top of it, or

2) Grow it just enough to exclude everyone with lower capabilities they yourself...then build second tier exchange currency solutions anyway.

I personally wish to see #1, but as they say, 'if wishes were horses then beggars would ride.'

I project that what will happen will be the gigantic corporations and governments will succeed in growing the solution to a size which will exclude other players, then operate it for 'free' to users while extracting the intelligence info which is worth a lot more to them.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
alexh

Activity: 183

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:49:38 PM

There just needs to be a credit card type of medium which can be loaded with Bitcoins... et voila.
WishIStartedSooner

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 12:35:28 AM

I guess I'd probably use the open source krogercoin, a great-great grandson of bitcoin. Unless I was out. I'd only be using krogercoin for the krogerplus bonus though. For a tiny fee, I'd be able to pay in any coin I wanted, including but not limited to vaginacoin, bitcoin, ppcoin, wal-coin, fedcoin, oilcoin, lobbycoin, chinacoin, smithcoin, or eurocoin.
BTC Books

Activity: 84

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:07:11 AM

There just needs to be a credit card type of medium which can be loaded with Bitcoins... et voila.

But there is.

It's called your smartphone.  Brick and mortar retailers just need to get into the 21st century:  QR codes everywhere.

And then an app like Bridgewalker - into which you load bitcoin but transact in dollars, instantly - is how you buy shit in person.

Dankedan: price seems low, time to sell I think...
Charm Quark

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:38:10 AM

coloured btc?
QuestionAuthority
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1393

You lead and I'll watch you walk away.

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 08:20:35 AM

coloured btc?

It's not polite to say "coloured." Instead say, "of African descent."

Endgame

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:16:46 AM

In 10 years I will probably be buying groceries using a credit card built into my phone, not out of choice, but due to the fact that adoption of new payment technologies happens very slowly. 
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 08:06:13 PM

In 10 years I will probably be buying groceries using a credit card built into my phone, not out of choice, but due to the fact that adoption of new payment technologies happens very slowly. 

I wouldn't rule out the possibility that 'the event' will happen within the decade timeframe.  In that case you'll probably be paying for groceries using an implanted micro-chip.  If you make it that far of course.

Ya, I'm joking around a bit...but not completely.  Such a thing strikes me as technically possible and a 'good' approach to deal with certain people management problems that loom on the horizon.

Neverest

Activity: 70
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 08:22:31 PM

Fiat. I don't want to awkwardly stand there 5 minutes waiting for a confirmation.

+1
The only sensible way, practically speaking.
tvbcof
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:47:19 PM

Fiat. I don't want to awkwardly stand there 5 minutes waiting for a confirmation.

+1
The only sensible way, practically speaking.

Let's not let that little inconvenience stop us from arguing for growing the system to a utilization level where only a tiny fraction of participants can be 'peers' in the supposedly 'p2p' solution.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: