Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 04:48:34 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Refunding people  (Read 1589 times)
stakhanov (OP)

Activity: 175
Merit: 101

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 10:30:58 AM

Is it possible to refund people with bitcoin, ie. send coins back to where they came from? How should one do it?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
NothinG

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 10:33:01 AM

Check the address who sent your the payment and send the same amount to that address, possibly?

joan

Activity: 56
Merit: 1

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 10:41:09 AM

Look up the transaction on block explorer and see if there is a single input.
If so, do what NothinG suggest.
If there are several inputs, it's more complicated. If there are several inputs and several outputs, then it's really more complicated. In this case I think you can't know the part each source is responsible for in the coins received.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 10:42:01 AM

Check the address who sent your the payment and send the same amount to that address, possibly?

That is not secure unless you clear with them because they could be using an online wallet and may not control that address.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 10:43:58 AM

Look up the transaction on block explorer and see if there is a single input.
If so, do what NothinG suggest.
If there are several inputs, it's more complicated. If there are several inputs and several outputs, then it's really more complicated. In this case I think you can't know the exact origin of the coins received.

If you know the coins are coming from someone's personally owned address then any input will be fine, they own them all. If you don't know that then it doesn't matter what you see you just can't do it without risk of them going to the wrong person.

stakhanov (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 11:27:36 AM

Mmm, that's what I feared, it's not as simple as it seems. It means that it's really not easy to refund someone if you don't have a good way of verifying their identity.

For example, if you sell through something like bitcoinservice and want to refund someone, it's very hard to ensure that the person asking for the refund is the person who bought something in the first place.
AntiVigilante

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 11:30:10 AM

Mmm, that's what I feared, it's not as simple as it seems. It means that it's really not easy to refund someone if you don't have a good way of verifying their identity.

For example, if you sell through something like bitcoinservice and want to refund someone, it's very hard to ensure that the person asking for the refund is the person who bought something in the first place.

Have them create a receive address and send to that.

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 11:36:01 AM

Their identity? You mean a supplied Bitcoin address?

Do you mean hard like a little work? Because it's not fundamentally hard. You ask them for a refund address, get it, give them an address to pay to, if a refund is necessary then you give it to the address that you got from the person who received the corresponding address.

stakhanov (OP)

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 11:39:22 AM

Do you mean hard like a little work? Because it's not fundamentally hard. You ask them for a refund address, get it, give them an address to pay to, if a refund is necessary then you give it to the address that you got from the person who received the corresponding address.

No, of course I didn't mean to imply that it was fundamentally hard, but it's still something to think about beforehand. It would be a nice new feature for bitcoinservice, for example.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 11:49:05 AM

No, of course I didn't mean to imply that it was fundamentally hard, but it's still something to think about beforehand. It would be a nice new feature for bitcoinservice, for example.

Yeah, every little gambling site around manages it.

To go super simple do like Bitlotto and just tell people they have to use their own addresses. Not professional, but it works.

bitlotto

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

BitLotto - best odds + best payouts + cheat-proof

View Profile WWW
June 17, 2011, 02:33:54 AM

To go super simple do like Bitlotto and just tell people they have to use their own addresses. Not professional, but it works.
Hey!  Tongue LOL. I know you didn't mean it. The reason I HAVE to do it that way is to make it impossible to fake anything with my lottery. Websites though should use the method: before you give the customer the payment address ask for their return address and inform them that returns will ONLY go to that address so don't lose their wallet and have a backup. That would prevent fraud.

*Next Draw Feb 1*  BitLotto: monthly raffle (0.25 BTC per ticket) Completely transparent and impossible to manipulate who wins. TOR
TOR2WEB
Donations to: 1JQdiQsjhV2uJ4Y8HFtdqteJsZhv835a8J are appreciated.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: