Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:51:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [FOR SALE] Series 1, 1 BTC Casascius Coins  (Read 2876 times)
Scott J (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 06:19:11 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2013, 06:51:28 PM by Scott J

In light of this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190818189201

I am potentially willing to sell three of these.

I'd like to gauge people's interest, so feel free to make offers  Smiley

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 06:30:11 PM

I'd give you 3 BTC for each of them (qty 1-3), no questions asked.

Questions asked, maybe more.

- What kind of condition are these in?
- Did you ever touch them with your bare hands?
- Where/how have they been stored?
- Are you the original owner?
- Do they have any visible tarnish on the backside?
randrace

Activity: 329
Merit: 250

LTC -> BTC -> Silver!

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 06:36:43 PM

Holy cow, 3BTC each?!? Sell! Sell!
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1130

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 06:37:11 PM

yowza, I have a boatload of these things I bought on a whim when they first came out.  3 BTC each?  Hmmmm....

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 06:39:02 PM

yowza, I have a boatload of these things I bought on a whim when they first came out.  3 BTC each?  Hmmmm....
Hit me up!
Scott J (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 06:41:35 PM

- I would say they are in very good condition.
- I have touched them on occasion.
- They have been stored in the original package they came in, in a drawer in my room.
- I am the original owner of two - the other I won in a competition on this forum.
- I cannot see any visible tarnish.

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 06:46:06 PM

- They have been stored in the original package they came in, in a drawer in my room.
- I am the original owner of two - the other I won in a competition on this forum.
Thanks!

My offer stands at 3 BTC ea for now.  I know that is well below the eBay price, but it's what I'm willing to spend right now.  Wink
Scott J (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 06:47:16 PM

Thanks!

My offer stands at 3 BTC ea for now.  I know that is well below the eBay price, but it's what I'm willing to spend right now.  Wink
Thanks for your offer  Smiley
Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 08:01:48 PM

There really are not that many of the original 2011 ones .  Many have been redeemed.  
I think 5 BTC is reasonable for average condition, 6+ for great.   I also have some for sale.  I am considering ebay for one of them though prefer to sell here for btc.

Still bidding over $1400
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casascius-Bitcoin-Minted-in-Sept-2011-Version-1-With-Error-/181115649401?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item2a2b557d79

Sold at $850:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Casascius-Physical-Bitcoin-Series-1-Minted-in-December-2011-/181115773817?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item2a2b576379

Sold at $1075
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Version-1-Casascius-Bitcoin-Minted-in-Dec-2011-/190818189201?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item2c6da67f91

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 08:12:29 PM

There really are not that many of the original 2011 ones .  Many have been redeemed.  
I think 5 BTC is reasonable for average condition, 6+ for great.   I also have some for sale.  I am considering ebay for one of them though prefer to sell here for btc.

Still bidding over $1400
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Casascius-Bitcoin-Minted-in-Sept-2011-Version-1-With-Error-/181115649401?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item2a2b557d79

Sold at $850:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Casascius-Physical-Bitcoin-Series-1-Minted-in-December-2011-/181115773817?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item2a2b576379

Sold at $1075
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Version-1-Casascius-Bitcoin-Minted-in-Dec-2011-/190818189201?pt=US_World_Coins&hash=item2c6da67f91
What is still unknown about the eBay auctions is who Paypal will side on when the buyer submits an "empty box" or "item not as described" dispute.  It could be that scammers are raising the price, knowing that they will probably get away with a paypal chargeback if they return the item (even with a redeemed holo).

It's hard to know whether $1,400 is a legitimate price for these!
Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 08:39:40 PM

Still bidding over $1400

Sold at $850:

Sold at $1075
What is still unknown about the eBay auctions is who Paypal will side on when the buyer submits an "empty box" or "item not as described" dispute.  It could be that scammers are raising the price, knowing that they will probably get away with a paypal chargeback if they return the item (even with a redeemed holo).

That could happen but it is not going to be anywhere near the majority of sales.  The chance is lower for a physical coin then a virtual one as most of the virtual ones are hacked accounts.  If someone does this, you (usually) know exactly who did it.  Certainly not selling to new eBay users (setting terms), only ones in the country you live in, using signature confirmation and canceling suspicious buyers will reduce this chance. 

SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 08:40:46 PM

Still bidding over $1400

Sold at $850:

Sold at $1075

That could happen but it is not going to be anywhere near the majority of sales.  The chance is lower for a physical coin then a virtual one as most of the virtual ones are hacked accounts.  If someone does this, you (usually) know exactly who did it.  Certainly not selling to new eBay users (setting terms), only ones in the country you live in, using signature confirmation and canceling suspicious buyers will reduce this chance. 
Yep, good points!  I think only shipping to paypal-verified addresses helps as well.
SgtSpike
Legendary

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 08:41:26 PM

I've decided to up my offer to 4 BTC per coin.  Let me know if you're interested Scott J.
willphase

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 09:05:52 PM

If it helps - I paid 3 BTC for mine, but that was a few weeks ago

Will

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 10:24:38 PM
Last edit: April 05, 2013, 10:41:07 PM by casascius

I am blown away to see my earliest coins going for that much.  It's crazy.  Had I ever known...

With very few exceptions I gave away most of my early coins to people at work, I was giving them out like candy, what iwth BTC being $2 and all.  So, those lucky ducks, if they still have them, have a prize.

I suppose if people are taking collecting my coins seriously, I might as well point out that the series 1 coins were made and distributed in prefix order, with 11xxxxxx being the first, 12xxxxxxx being next, etc.  The lower the number, the earlier the coin.

There are two specific coins I can think of that might garner peculiar interest for rarity, if any of my coins could be described that way.

I only kept one coin from the earliest batches.  I kept one whose prefix was "13kpu33y".  I funded it in 2011, but decided not to give away becuase when I looked at it, and the way the font looks, it appeared to me like the coin said "13k pussy".  Since these were coins I was giving away to promote bitcoin, I subconsciously set it aside because I wanted to foster discussion of bitcoin, not middle school locker room jokes.  Had I not funded, I probably would have just ripped it open and thrown it in my "rejects" pile.  So, that said, that's the only genuine original untouched funded-in-2011 coin I managed to keep.  Even though it would be sweet to see four figures for it, I doubt I'll sell it.

There were two prototype coins I made out of the pre-production coin samples before I got the Casascius holograms.  The prototype coins had a generic hologram, had a greenish solidified lacquer layer covering that hologram (since I was experimenting with spray coatings I ultimately decided not to do).  Inside the lacquer layer I embedded a second outer paper circle with 8 character prefix, split on two lines of four.  Of those four prototype coins, I funded only one of them so I could give it away.  I don't know who I gave it to, but I know who of several people who possibly might have it.  I suppose that's the only one that can be proven to have existed at the time having timely funding on the block chain.  The coin is fully functional.  I have the other one, but I don't think I ever funded it.  Matters little, cause I'm not about to sell it either.

I have had people contact me to find out when their coin was minted, as though to evaluate its value.  Just look it up on the block chain.  I always fund the address after creating the coin (it would be stupid to do otherwise in case the coin ends up being a reject for whatever reason) so it is easy to establish a coin was minted prior to the date the block chain shows it was funded.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
PachucoBro

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 10:28:13 PM

Can you say Beanie Babies?  Tongue

EDIT: No insult intended to the creator... they are cool coins. Wish I could afford to get one for my teenage son as a B-Day gift.
willphase

Activity: 767
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 10:46:18 PM

I am blown away to see my earliest coins going for that much.  It's crazy.  Had I ever known...

Mike - I bought a 1BTC casascius series 2 coin from someone at a stall at Defcon XX (2012) - was that from you, or from a reseller?

Will

Littleshop
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 11:01:10 PM

I suppose if people are taking collecting my coins seriously, I might as well point out that the series 1 coins were made and distributed in prefix order, with 11xxxxxx being the first, 12xxxxxxx being next, etc.  The lower the number, the earlier the coin.

And interestingly all of the higher priced coins are 13xxxxxxx 14 and 15.  I have not seen (though some numbers are obscured) a 11xxxxxx or a 12xxxxxx yet go on ebay.

casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 12:46:58 AM

Can you say Beanie Babies?  Tongue

EDIT: No insult intended to the creator... they are cool coins. Wish I could afford to get one for my teenage son as a B-Day gift.

No offense taken.  Casascius Coins weren't made as a marketing gimmick to prop up their own value, if anything they were a teaching gimmick to teach people about bitcoin.  It's very flattering to have accidentally created something that's even comparable to Beanie Babies in terms of attention and people wanting it.  Now I feel like I better glue my Bitcoin license plate to my car before it disappears.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 12:55:54 AM

Mike - I bought a 1BTC casascius series 2 coin from someone at a stall at Defcon XX (2012) - was that from you, or from a reseller?

Will

I talked one of the vendors into reselling them right on the spot.  I was there.  If you bought from me, I was wearing a custom made T-shirt that says "I SELL PHYSICAL BITCOINS" (made by the shirt press next door to the vendor you saw my coins at).

For being one guy, I sold quite a few coins in the hallways, and made a healthy convenience premium over spot price doing so.  It was like $9 BTC at the time, and I was asking $20 for one coin or $30 for two coins.  NOwadays buyers are willing to pay more than that just to order them online, so I can only imagine how well somebody would do selling them in person at a booth at DefCon this year.

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: