Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 10:14:01 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Are we in a bubble?  (Read 1346 times)
dinofelis

Activity: 770
Merit: 629

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 01:40:54 PM

we are in bitcoin bubble and this is why you see that all the coin are increasing...

I'd say so far so good, bitcoin is about the only coin who's price rises with time. So bitcoin is not a bubble.

I thought that it was typical for a bubble asset to rise in price (until of course it is RECOGNIZED as a bubble...).

A rise in price doesn't necessarily mean a bubble of course.  But with a bubble always comes a rise in price.

What differentiates a bubble from a "fundamental" rise in price is the main motivation of the demand: if the main motivation for the demand is the expectation of a further price rise, then you can say that this is the schoolbook example of "bubble".   If on the other hand, most of the motivation of the demand is something else, and the price rise is just a consequence of that increased demand, but not its drive, then one doesn't have a bubble.

So the main reason to ask yourself is: "do I hold bitcoin or altcoins because I need them to do something with ?"  (--> no bubble)  OR:
"do I hold bitcoin and/or altcoins because I'm expecting their price to increase ?" (--> bubble).

NUFCrichard (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 03:02:28 PM

FYI:
Nov 13th, 3 years ago , BTC was ~$1275 per coin, it has been going down in price for years, and the people that brought at the high, all lost money on BTC.

For my information? I know, I was watching at the time as it flashed new ATH in the corner of bitcoinity!
It hasn't exactly been going down for years, it is lower than it was for about 4-5 months in late 2013/early 2014.  That was a bubble though.

The problem with bubbles is, you can only really see them after they have popped. It is harder again with Alts as they are hundreds of smaller markets that each fluctuate.

The Combined Altcoin Market Capitalization chart doesn't look very bubbly (I hadn't seen that chart until today), it does look like it is at a quite high level though. The Bitcoin dominance is lower than historically too, even though the price of Bitcoin is historically high. I guess we will find out soon enough!
TaunSew

Activity: 756
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 07:29:35 AM

Some coins had seen actual utility this year - especially the DNMs like Monero and Dash.  There could be fundamental demand increasing and this is a rising tide which helps all alternates.

Otherwise, compared to 2014 which was squeezing blood from a turnip, it has been a great year.  Cheesy

There ain't no Revolution like a NEMolution.  The only solution is Bitcoin's dissolution! NEM!
muhcoins

Activity: 93
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 11:59:57 AM

If we were actually seeing increased adoption , then the prices would be decreasing as the merchants converted to FIAT.

that doesnt make any sense.. if it is/were adoption, yes, there would be merchants converting to FIAT, but there would be merchants buying too.. specially because adoption would mean no need to convert to FIAT.
and you comparing the ATH with the price today... lol...
correction happened. it always happens and doesnt mean the end of the coin/currency...

aioc

Activity: 2926
Merit: 567

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 04:49:03 PM

I follow crypto stuff and have done for a long while, but I justed looked on coinmarketcap and saw in the top 30 some names like DigixDAO, PeerPlays, Stellar Lumens, Shadowcash, Stratis and Xaurum.
I haven't heard of any of them!  They all have a market cap of over $8mill too. One year ago only the top 10 coins or so had a market cap of over $8 million.

I know lots of fanboys who hold the above coins will now post saying that they are great (until they sell them), but it looks to me like we are in a bubble.

What do you think, bubble or just lots of good coins!?

We an say that at the current state of crypto currency it's a free for all,there are legit coins and there are coins that are just for pump and dump and only create a bubble in the crypto currency sphere.

woola3

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 05:03:32 PM

I've seen bubbles before and I don't think we are in one yet. Regarding bitcoin's price, it keeps increasing in a steady rate but if you look at the charts this isn't what happened in 2013. Then there was a sudden spike, we don't have one yet. If you see such a behaviour be ready to run. 
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: