Bitcoin Forum
July 16, 2024, 11:46:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A2 MEGA 110MH PSU Failure  (Read 512 times)
Eyedol-X (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 07:06:42 PM

So one of my A2's just died after getting an A4 only a couple of weeks ago, go figure....

My A2 Mega's have hash boards that use the CPU Connectors and has the Gamezone 1100 PSU.

I know I can get an EVGA or Corsair PSU with PCIE connectors and install the last 2 pins backwards and it will work but I figured I would ask here if anyone knows of a PSU out there as a replacement for these A2's

Maxumark

Activity: 159
Merit: 108

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 08:18:25 PM

How is this for a match made in Hell.  A Innosilicon a2 mated with a BFL PSU?
I have already created several of these Devil spawn.

Butterfly Labs BFL 1250W 80+ Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply New Sealed Box. $100 + $16 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Butterfly-Labs-BFL-1250W-80-Gold-ATX-Fully-Modular-Power-Supply-New-Sealed-Box-/162251676596?hash=item25c6f41bb4:g:1TkAAOSwnGJWT4H1

It has 6 8 pin PCI-E connector ports, the voltage passes through with power to the 4 pins on the clip side of the connector at the card. additionally if you have a bad cable you can use one of the 2 CPU cables that comes with the PSU.

You just need to cut the spline between pin 5 & 6 on the A2s power connector so it will go in the PSU.   

Works like a charm, and the price is right.

Good Luck!

Mining LTC and other alts since 2014 when I thought I missed the BTC train.
Eyedol-X (OP)

Activity: 952
Merit: 508

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 08:34:58 PM

How is this for a match made in Hell.  A Innosilicon a2 mated with a BFL PSU?
I have already created several of these Devil spawn.

Butterfly Labs BFL 1250W 80+ Gold ATX Fully Modular Power Supply New Sealed Box. $100 + $16 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Butterfly-Labs-BFL-1250W-80-Gold-ATX-Fully-Modular-Power-Supply-New-Sealed-Box-/162251676596?hash=item25c6f41bb4:g:1TkAAOSwnGJWT4H1

It has 6 8 pin PCI-E connector ports, the voltage passes through with power to the 4 pins on the clip side of the connector at the card. additionally if you have a bad cable you can use one of the 2 CPU cables that comes with the PSU.

You just need to cut the spline between pin 5 & 6 on the A2s power connector so it will go in the PSU.   

Works like a charm, and the price is right.

Good Luck!

Got any pics of of the modifications you are referring to?

Here is what I have found so far

The HX1200i supports up to 6, 4+4 CPU connectors and the PSU itself comes with 2 so I would have to order 4 more of them.

A bit pricey though...

Maxumark

Activity: 159
Merit: 108

View Profile
November 16, 2016, 09:25:45 PM

With the Corsair I have just confirmed that the original A2 Power cables will work with the same modification where you cut the spline of plastic on the cable connector between the 2 pins just left of the clip with the clip up and the connector facing away from you.

This way you can use the existing A2 power cables if they are in good shape.

Thats all my modification is. Cutting out this plastic webbing so there are 8 individual pins. that webbing is to prevent this cable to be installed in a PSU where the PCI-E connector have 3 power and 5 ground. In both the Corsair & BFL they are 4 ground & 4 Power at the PSU with power at the clip side of the connector.
I cut the plastic webbing on the power cable connector with a hacksaw blade, and clean it up with a utility knife so it goes in easy and the retention clip is engaged.

Alway use a multi-meter to test the power output to each pin when mixing or matching power cables and PSU!

Mining LTC and other alts since 2014 when I thought I missed the BTC train.
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 03:17:52 AM

EVGA 1300 G2 does NOT fit worth beans in 4 of the 5 A2 units I have - the only one it WOULD fit in would be the 88 MH/s unit I have.

I have *2* of the 110s running quite nicely on the Seasonic X-1250 which is a quite good fit in place of the original PS.

NO MODS NEEDED.

Might depend on which version of the hash boards your 110 has, though - by report some of them had the power connectors set up as EPS 12v 8-pin configuration NOT as PCI-E configuration.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
mjgraham

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 05:01:56 AM

While it is not as easy but works decently, in repairing boards I have had a lot of ones with burned off power connectors so either I remove them and just add a screw terminal or some have dual headers for a 6 or 8 pin. I only have one unit with an atx power supply most have the DPS-1200FB units can get them for like $20 if your lucky, although it involves a certain level of messing up stuff that you have to work around.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: