Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 10:10:46 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wallet Question  (Read 339 times)
centove (OP)

Activity: 194
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 11:46:18 PM

Hi,
  I want to make sure I understand this stuff.

1. The 'wallet' does not contain the actual coins but rather the keys (pointer) to your coins in the block chain.
2. The address is really a public key/private key combo.
3. Wallets are encrypted to protect the private key.

So if all the above is true, and I have one address I use as the cold storage, (installed bitcoind ran it, got the key, dumped the private key, recorded same, locked same away in firebox). Now I periodically send to that storage key. as long as I know the private key I'll always be able to get at the coins stored at that address and send them somewhere else as needed? The machine the key was generated on don't ever need to be connected/synced to the network?

Give me Btc: 1BRkf5bwSVdGCyvu4SyYBiJjEjbNiAQoYd Mine on my node: http://ask.gxsnmp.org:9332/
threeip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 11:53:52 PM

The machine the key was generated on don't ever need to be connected/synced to the network?

Yes. It doesn't need to sync as there is no need to 'identify' it and no-one else has a chance of generating the same key.

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 12:03:47 AM

1. The 'wallet' does not contain the actual coins but rather the keys (pointer) to your coins in the block chain.
2. The address is really a public key/private key combo.
3. Wallets are encrypted to protect the private key.

1. The wallet contains your private key and some other information. This key basically makes you a blockchain moderator.
2. I always thought that the address was the public key but you are probably right it is public/private keys hashed.
3. Wallets are not encrypted by default you have to encrypt them.

Hope that helps...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: