Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:16:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: why the inconsitencys in speculation.  (Read 1101 times)
XXthetimeisnowXX (OP)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

a wolf in sheeps clothing. suckerfish

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 11:51:57 PM

ok I get it that there are bulls and then there are bears. some say up some say down.

but why are there full on threads that have graphs and out right "proof" that it is going to go up for sure and same for the bears, graphs "proof" and all that jazz.

this weekend seams poised to be some sort of big change. what do you think? Huh

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
NamelessOne
Legendary

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 12:14:19 AM

Because that is how humanity works, lol. No one actually KNOWS anything with certainty. People are just making educated guesses and creating charts based upon the available data. Just like in all fields people disagree.  Grin
Dargo
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 12:30:40 AM

Because graphs don't prove jack. Technical analysis is useful for developing a trading game plan, and can at times give you a direction that is more probable than the other, but that's it. I think that probability favors further upside, because we have a trend that way that is holding nicely, but down is quite possible too. 
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2384

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 12:46:36 AM

Graphs are great for proving what happened.

I have a graph of what has happened for the past 3 months:

/
    / 
   /
^

Now take that graph and throw it away.

The price will either do this:

_/

or this:

_
  \

Or should I have better graphs to make it more believable?

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 01:25:34 AM

There are either Bulls or Bears, nobody wants or thinks Bitcoin will or should be stable for extended periods of time.

Food for thought.
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 01:48:07 AM

There are either Bulls or Bears, nobody wants or thinks Bitcoin will or should be stable for extended periods of time.
I think conflating "what X thinks will happen" and "what X wants to happen" is awfully dangerous.

What I want to happen has nothing at all to do with the price of one bitcoin in your favorite national currency; it has to do with the price of one bitcoin in peanut butter or one bitcoin in minutes of labor becoming a meaningful question. If $2 per coin is sufficient for that, I'm as happy with $2 per coin as I am with $200 per coin.

I don't think the BTC exchange rate will be flat because there's lots of speculators running around trading a new asset that nobody fully understands, in conditions where the fundamentals have been shifting a lot recently. That's just foetal markets - people haven't yet figured out what this thing is worth.

They're very different questions.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 02:15:44 AM

I think conflating "what X thinks will happen" and "what X wants to happen" is awfully dangerous.

What I want to happen has nothing at all to do with the price of one bitcoin in your favorite national currency; it has to do with the price of one bitcoin in peanut butter or one bitcoin in minutes of labor becoming a meaningful question. If $2 per coin is sufficient for that, I'm as happy with $2 per coin as I am with $200 per coin.

I don't think the BTC exchange rate will be flat because there's lots of speculators running around trading a new asset that nobody fully understands, in conditions where the fundamentals have been shifting a lot recently. That's just foetal markets - people haven't yet figured out what this thing is worth.

They're very different questions.

I used to think alot like that too. Keep at it and you probably will end up exactly as disillusioned as me.

The problem is it is never enough. Bitcoins could be traded for a million dollar and they still wouldn't be able to be used like a real currency. There simply aren't enough factors to increase velocity to healthy levels.
There might have been, in the original design, but since the block size is more or less to be increased not any more. I don't know if that would have been enough, but now there is simply no way.
dree12
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1077

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 02:17:45 AM

/
    / 
   /
^

_/

or this:

_
  \

What about this?

______

Or this?

_/\  /\
   \/  \/
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 02:28:19 AM

So the question is "Why do people think they are right when actually they are wrong?"?

I imagine you'll get some answers from people who think they are right, but I'd worry that maybe they are wrong.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
XXthetimeisnowXX (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:19:46 AM

/
    / 
   /
^

_/

or this:

_
  \

hahaha! siriously throw some color on that for gods sakes then and only then will i belive it!!!  Cheesy
XXthetimeisnowXX (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:25:23 AM

So the question is "Why do people think they are right when actually they are wrong?"?

I imagine you'll get some answers from people who think they are right, but I'd worry that maybe they are wrong.

indeed why so wrong....or " I TOLD YOU SO!"

I think the bears love the I TOLD YOU SO more than the bulls.

the bulls are like "sweet i was right and now im rich....to busy doing the happy dance to post an i told you so''
BIGMERVE

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 03:28:24 AM

It wouldn't be speculation if it was consistant.

tiberiandusk

Activity: 575

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 03:28:53 AM

Nobody is psychic.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:43:28 AM

Greed and Fear:
Once you understand Greed and Fear, you are making progress.   Cheesy

Bit_Happy
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040

A Great Time to Start Something!

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:44:21 AM

Nobody is psychic.

Are you sure?

tiberiandusk

Activity: 575

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 03:44:39 AM

Yes.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
XXthetimeisnowXX (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:52:49 AM

good talk haha  Roll Eyes
Kazu

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 05:16:52 AM