Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 02:38:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Just purchased a ModMiner QUAD...  (Read 13816 times)
Bitweasil

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 12, 2013, 10:04:07 PM

Jon -

Were you ever able to successfully get the card working?

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
JonSnow

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 01:14:25 AM

Update: 

It has been over a month and a half since I initially placed my MMQ order.  Two replacement cards later and multiple peoples' attempts to get it working (including Tom, whose product this is) and it STILL will not work.  I've tried three different power supplies, five different operating systems, three forum members with FPGA and Linux experience have tried SSH'ing in to no avail, Tom himself hasn't been able to get it work ... and at this point, I just want this situation resolved. 

Sad
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 02:08:55 AM

have you tried a Win7 64 bit?  That would probably be the easiest way to prove if anything is wrong with it.

I got it to work on a WinXP 32 bit but had to mess with the config file

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
JonSnow

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 02:10:20 AM

I don't have a windows computer available to use .... and the last time that Tom SSH'ed in, he said everything was configured correctly for the MMQ so that it should just be a matter of plugging it in once I had the new power supply.  Didn't change a damn thing.
emunebtk

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:08:07 AM

If I were to get a hold of a couple of these for say $200 each then would it be a good deal with the current difficulty,etc?
DPoS

Activity: 462

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 10:40:17 AM

If I were to get a hold of a couple of these for say $200 each then would it be a good deal with the current difficulty,etc?

200 would be a steal - where are you getting them? Smiley

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
emunebtk

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 07:56:45 PM

trying to make sure it is not a scam as i found this craigslist ad selling them...hmmm! Going to try and meet in person to avoid losing some BTC
Bitweasil

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:24:15 PM

If you can find one for $200, yes.  They're still selling for $700-$1000 on eBay.  So it's probably a scam.

Need high quality, rack mountable GPU clusters for OpenCL work or password auditing?  http://www.stricture-group.com/
emunebtk

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:58:24 PM

Thats what i am thinking as the poster said he moved 3 hours away from original location. I am going to still try and by 4-5 from him but will make the 3hr drive to avoid the scam. Lets see if happens but at the moment not counting it..
JonSnow

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 06:59:25 PM

sorry to resurrect an old thread, but i wanted to update everyone.  i never was able to get the MMQ working.  Tom continually came up with answers like "your power supply isn't good enough" etc. etc.  still didn't work after i purchased a new, powerful PSU. 

then i started talking to another member here - Bitweasil - who surprised me with a very kind offer.  having familiarity with the MMQs and their issues, Bitweasil offered to trade me the broken MMQ (which he said seemed to have some bad hardware) for a functional 1.5y ZTEX which would supposedly get around the same hashrate.

due to Tom's comments, i was pretty convinced that i wouldn't be able to run the ZTEX either, because i thought i was just too stupid to get the MMQ working.  still, i went ahead and took Bitweasil up on his offer and, to my surprise, managed to get it up and mining WITHIN FIVE MINUTES of receiving it!  lol  i downloaded the necessary driver for it to work with bfgminer, and it worked immediately. 

hopefully Bitweasil has been able to repair the MMQ so he can use it.  (i know nothing about soldering so i didn't want to try and at that point was already so frustrated that i wanted nothing more to do with the MMQ)

anyway, this is just to say THANK YOU to Bitweasil for his generosity, his helpfulness, and the ZTEX that worked immediately ... after spending months trying to get the MMQ to work and trying to get Tom to communicate with me, this was such a pleasant surprise that i wanted to be sure to post my thanks to Bitweasil.  Smiley

Bitweasil

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 07:51:30 PM

Glad it worked. Smiley

For anyone troubleshooting MMQs, the DC-DC converter in the center seems to go bad far more often than one would expect, and the symptom is that everything works in terms of identifying the board, but the board cannot see any FPGAs.  It will look like everything is working but not find any chips.  You can also verify this with a voltmeter, though I don't recall offhand the pins to test.

If anyone else has dead MMQs exhibiting the "cannot find FPGAs" symptoms, let me know and I'll swap them out as well.  I'm not in any way affiliated with cablepair/btcfgpa/etc, but I have my reasons. Smiley

aspeer

Activity: 102

View Profile
August 26, 2013, 06:04:39 PM

also had a successful swap with bitweasil for my non-working MMQ.  Stand up guy as far as I'm concerned, Thanks!

Glad it worked. Smiley

For anyone troubleshooting MMQs, the DC-DC converter in the center seems to go bad far more often than one would expect, and the symptom is that everything works in terms of identifying the board, but the board cannot see any FPGAs.  It will look like everything is working but not find any chips.  You can also verify this with a voltmeter, though I don't recall offhand the pins to test.

If anyone else has dead MMQs exhibiting the "cannot find FPGAs" symptoms, let me know and I'll swap them out as well.  I'm not in any way affiliated with cablepair/btcfgpa/etc, but I have my reasons. Smiley

BTC accepted: 1C3Z4aA4v1bADYrSozjfSujzmtwxD4cvVH
Don't format your wallet into oblivion, back it up.  |  I use encrypted BackBlaze: http://backblaze.apspeer.com
10% off Campbx Fees: http://goo.gl/cIRwo
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 04:25:39 PM

also had a successful swap with bitweasil for my non-working MMQ.  Stand up guy as far as I'm concerned, Thanks!

Glad it worked. Smiley

what if 3 cards work, and the 4th card lights up (the card's led, not the fan obviously) but is not recognised? All resistors look good, is the chip just bad/burnt maybe?

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
Bitweasil

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 06:40:28 PM

what if 3 cards work, and the 4th card lights up (the card's led, not the fan obviously) but is not recognised? All resistors look good, is the chip just bad/burnt maybe?

There are a few possibilities, all easily testable.

The LED on the back of the blade card should go off after configuration.  If it's not, that's the dead card if you only see three.

Swap the cards around - does the bad card follow the baseboard position, or the card?

Second, try with just two cards (one bad card, one good card).  If there is not sufficient supply voltage/amperage, you can end up with unreliable card detection.

I have good cards for the MMQs if you need any.  I also buy dead MMQs or swap for known good hardware.

klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
August 30, 2013, 10:43:36 PM
Last edit: August 30, 2013, 11:06:31 PM by klondike_bar

There are a few possibilities, all easily testable.

1)The LED on the back of the blade card should go off after configuration.  If it's not, that's the dead card if you only see three.
2) Swap the cards around - does the bad card follow the baseboard position, or the card?
3) Second, try with just two cards (one bad card, one good card).  If there is not sufficient supply voltage/amperage, you can end up with unreliable card detection.

I have good cards for the MMQs if you need any.  I also buy dead MMQs or swap for known good hardware.

1) LED on the card (in slot 2) stays on after programming
2) issue is with the card and not the position (i moved to slot 4)
3) power is not the issue - i removed 2 other cards

CGminer reports only 3/4 cards or 1/2 cards, and the led stays on, so the issue is definitely the card. As mentioned, it visually looks fine, fan spins up alright and no resistors are chipped or missing.

If you have any other suggestions id love to hear them! Could i perhaps use the reset button on the baseboard or reprogram the firmware to get a result, or is this just an issue that is likely the FPGA chip itself?

additionally, the unit will run if only slotspositions 1,3,and 4 are filled correct? (it runs the 3 working cards fine when the bad card is in slot 2, but its only in at the moment because of the cool leds) UPDATE: looks like slot 1&2 are a bank, and 3&4 are a bank, because putting the bum card in slot 3 causes slot 4 to not be seen by cgminer

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
klondike_bar
Legendary

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
August 31, 2013, 05:43:32 PM

I have seen reports that certain FPGA bitstreams (TML and/or bitfury) allow higher clock speeds and/or higher hashrates coming out, in the range of a 20% increase.

can anyone point me in the right direction or confirm this? For whatever reason my FPGA cards report:

44.6 C   212MHz   211.6Mh/s
31.4 C   216MHz   214.9Mh/s
43.0 C   208MHz   206.5Mh/s

the middle card's heatsink feels the warmest, so im not sure if the temperature reading is a bit low, or if the heatsink is seated really well. In either case, why is cgminer not setting a higher clock on this card? The total hashrate is 630 average over 24hrs, so perhaps that is a limit set in the bitsteam?

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: