Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:24:21 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: shitty amdgpu-pro mining performance  (Read 3171 times)
nerdralph (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 251

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 05:00:45 AM

Until this week I've been using fglrx on Ubuntu 14.04 for mining.  Yesterday I tried upgrading a 14.04 rig to 16.04 and the amdgpu-pro drivers.  I was running into a lot of problems, so today I did a fresh 16.04.1 (4.4.0-31 kernel) install with just 2 cards installed; a R9 380 and a Rx 470.  I used the latest 16.40 amdgpu-pro drivers.  The performance on the R9 380 sucks; sa-v5 gives me <10 sols/s, while the same card gives me ~50 with fglrx.  The Rx 470 is better (60-65 sols).

Anyone know what is required to get decent performance for Tonga with amdgpu-pro?  Or should I only use it for Ellesmere and stick with fglrx for everything else?
nerdralph (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 03:28:36 PM

It seems the problem is the dpm clock control for the primary video card.  Setting power_dpm_force_performance_level to manual and then setting pp_dpm_sclk has no effect (it stays at 0).
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/open-source-amd-linux/871595-amd-delivers-overdrive-overclocking-support-for-amdgpu-drm-driver/page4

I think something with Xorg may be interfering with the clock settings, so I'm going to try running X off the on-board video.
bobben2

Activity: 279
Merit: 104

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 04:12:52 PM

I gave up equihash mining with my Tongas since they tended to crash the miner.
I suspect mem clock too high (1625 - too lazy to bios mod).
They hash ok when mining Eth (23.1MH/s) both with fglrx and amdgpu-pro driver (16.30)

I tried optiminer 0.3.3, but that halfed the hashrate,  so I reverted back to 0.3.2.  This with amdgpu-pro driver

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
Subw

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 04:35:38 PM

can't speak about R9 380 as i don't have any but R9 390 hashes OK both with old fglrx (ubuntu 15) and new amdpro (ubuntu 16) drivers (about 90-100S/s with recent SA miner)
nerdralph (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 05:14:22 PM

It seems the problem is the dpm clock control for the primary video card.  Setting power_dpm_force_performance_level to manual and then setting pp_dpm_sclk has no effect (it stays at 0).
https://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum/linux-graphics-x-org-drivers/open-source-amd-linux/871595-amd-delivers-overdrive-overclocking-support-for-amdgpu-drm-driver/page4

I think something with Xorg may be interfering with the clock settings, so I'm going to try running X off the on-board video.

So far trying to run the iGPU along with amdgpu-pro is just as problematic as it was with fglrx.  With the iGPU enabled and a Rx 470 and R9 380 plugged in, opencl crashes.

Code:
$ /opt/amdgpu-pro/bin/clinfo
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
hypercrypto

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 11:46:28 PM

It seems the problem is the dpm clock control for the primary video card.  Setting power_dpm_force_performance_level to manual and then setting pp_dpm_sclk has no effect (it stays at 0).

So far trying to run the iGPU along with amdgpu-pro is just as problematic as it was with fglrx.  With the iGPU enabled and a Rx 470 and R9 380 plugged in, opencl crashes.

Code:

try sudo command ,i think it will work
nerdralph (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 01:18:56 AM

It seems the problem is the dpm clock control for the primary video card.  Setting power_dpm_force_performance_level to manual and then setting pp_dpm_sclk has no effect (it stays at 0).

So far trying to run the iGPU along with amdgpu-pro is just as problematic as it was with fglrx.  With the iGPU enabled and a Rx 470 and R9 380 plugged in, opencl crashes.

Code:

try sudo command ,i think it will work

Thanks!  That did it, and reminded me about the video group requirement from the driver install directions.  I added my mining userid to the video group, and now OpenCL is working.  I've left dpm_force_performance to auto for now, as the driver bumps both cards to dpm7 once they start mining.  I tried manual to test things out, and for some reason it was only working for mlck.  When I 'echo 7 > pp_dpm_sclk' it stayed at 0.
nerdralph (OP)

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 08:12:53 PM

I'm still having some problems with the first card, either r9 380 or Rx 470, where it stays in dpm 0 state.  I'd like to try the amdgpu-pro 16.30 drivers instead of the 16.40.  Anyone know where I could find the old version?
bobben2

Activity: 279
Merit: 104

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 09:18:34 PM

You might want to try to be root, then run the command to change dpm state.
i.e. sudo is not enough.

Fellow miners, get your thens and thans in order and help other forum readers understand what you are writing. Remember the grammar basics:  B larger THAN A (comparator operator). If something THEN ....
smaxz

Activity: 430
Merit: 253

VeganAcademy

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 01:54:14 PM

i.e. sudo is not enough.

Of course it's not, not unless you do sudo sh -c 'echo manual > ...'

The reason being the redirect by the shell is run as you, not under sudo.

even as root you will run in to some bugs on having settings take. generally things work though.

no experience with R9's just my RX cards that have worked fine.

isn't AMDGPU-PRO available for ubuntu 14.04 now as well?

- NGdTwHRSdnThdi1drQuHGT3khAHRtZ1HMq -
nerdralph (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 04:41:16 PM

i.e. sudo is not enough.

The file permissions don't allow anyone but root to change them.

I'm thinking my problem may be related to the kernel.  Ubuntu 16.04.1 includes kernel 4.4.0, but overdrive control seems to require at least 4.8:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=AMDGPU-OverDrive-R9-Fury

Unless someone has a different suggestion, I'm going to try 4.8.9.
nerdralph (OP)

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 04:42:21 PM

What kernel version are you using?
smaxz

Activity: 430
Merit: 253

VeganAcademy

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 09:17:41 PM

What kernel version are you using?

4.4.0-47

- NGdTwHRSdnThdi1drQuHGT3khAHRtZ1HMq -
lhl

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 20, 2016, 04:07:13 AM

So I'm running 16.30 package w/ the 4.8.4-1-ARCH kernel (on arch) on a 6 x RX470 (Hynix) system w/ and I can do a few things w/ it...

I'm currently running a stock ROM.

I can use the overdrive w/o a problem, but pp_sclk_od only seems to affect the top speed, not the intermediate levels, so it's not really useful for me (I underclock for better perf/W and run at P6).

I can also overdrive the pp_mclk_od which would be more useful for me, but the 2000 strap timings are worse than the 1750 strap timings, so it's not a big win. Is there any way to adjust memory timings in Linux w/o booting into Windows/flashing a new VBIOS?

Also, is there anything available for adjusting voltage - really, just voltage offset would be fine (defaults to +4 on my Nitro cards, would ideally just like to bring them down to -10 or -12).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: