Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 03:04:14 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Got all my mining rig gear, should I use windows or linux?  (Read 3616 times)
anawaz

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 14, 2011, 10:20:41 PM

@Hands, thanks.

Now, do you know or does anyone else know of instructions to put together a dummy plug for a DVI connector because that's all 6990s have? Or do we use a DVI to VGA converter and 'dummy' the VGA end of the converter?

Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 02:02:04 AM

@Hands, thanks.

Now, do you know or does anyone else know of instructions to put together a dummy plug for a DVI connector because that's all 6990s have? Or do we use a DVI to VGA converter and 'dummy' the VGA end of the converter?

Thanks!

Yes.

[CARD] [DVI->VGA] [DUMMY]
Hands

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 04:21:10 AM

@Hands, thanks.

Thanks!

Check the instructions I posted earlier, they are for using a DVI -> VGA dummy plug, basicly you need 68ohm resisters and you place the in 3 sets of pins on the the VGA side of the DVI -> VGA adapter.. Just find a that link from my earlier post its all there for ya mate :-)

~Hands
(here is the ubiquitous "donate" wallet ID 13d46unynPiuspsND1fC3kuPeb8szgWv4T)

Ask me about cloud hashing (it doesn't suck) or click here
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ubiquitous donation address:1KSUGdoL4PPkaLcoJ3Ny9yenQcMQcsentY
anawaz

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 09:01:17 AM

Just so everyone knows.

When I unplug from 1 card into another, the first 1 keeps hashing and whilst the second does start up and get noisy upon running the miner, it doesn't hash.

So both need to be plugged in, I guess, simultaneously.
Fireball

Activity: 674

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2011, 11:03:55 AM

I'm not fan of Microsoft company, however here I have to say that using Windows would bring optimal results. Simply because video cards manufacturer's target (99% of the market) is Windows, so Windows drivers are the best fine-tuned drivers. Linux drivers exist just because the company wants to have a good perception and earn bigger market share.

But if you don't have a legal Windows license, then the only choice is either to buy one or use Linux, pirating is always bad.

Margin trading platform OrderBook.net (ICBIT): https://orderbook.net
Follow us in Twitter: https://twitter.com/orderbooknet
Findeton

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 11:21:49 AM

But if you don't have a legal Windows license, then the only choice is either to buy one or use Linux, pirating is always bad.

Piracy is always good. Well, it actually doesn't matter, piracy is a fact and you can't stop it.

Windows would be nothing without pirates, btw.

Bitcoin Weekly, bitcoin analysis and commentary

14DD7MhRXuw3KDuyUuXvAsRcK4KXTT36XA
Findeton

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 02:30:38 PM

Wild piracy would cause a lot of people to lose jobs and their livelihoods, because not everyone is an enterprising entrepreneur.

It's the opposite. Piracy creates jobs.

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:21:45 PM

Wild piracy would cause a lot of people to lose jobs and their livelihoods, because not everyone is an enterprising entrepreneur.

Oh yeah, that's why all the piracy rampant countries are software power houses? Face it, piracy destroyed the software industry in these countries, their talented programmers are now nothing but out-sourced coding monkeys for the powerful software companies in countries who has strict enforcement copyright laws.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Basiley

Activity: 42

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 03:34:01 PM

Oh yeah, that's why all the piracy rampant countries are software power houses? Face it, piracy destroyed the software industry in these countries, their talented programmers are now nothing but out-sourced coding monkeys for the powerful software companies in countries who has strict enforcement copyright laws.
yeah, yeah, old good bs/lie/blasphermy, spreaded by BSA/RIAA/MS and other  CoS-controlled/established/created branches/corporations/trusts World-Wide.
in fact, hoever, piracy spike is ... in US. hardly anyone right there, ready and able, consider thats IT industry there is "destroyed".
so actually, US attempts to ruin other countries developmen/economics hardly related with their independence/interests manifestation, let alone different appeoach to whole problem.
Findeton

View Profile
June 15, 2011, 04:09:12 PM

Face it, you've swallowed propaganda.

SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 01:19:53 AM

Face it, you've swallowed propaganda.

+1
Confidence Man

Activity: 5

View Profile
June 16, 2011, 02:05:00 AM

I personally use Windows 7 x64; however, this is because I got a license (legally, through MSDNAA) at no cost, and because I don't have a dedicated mining rig (the machine I'm on now is used for everything). If I had a dedicated mining rig, I would probably be using one of the more popular Linux distributions, unless I could get another Windows license at no cost.
dr.bitcoin

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 06:55:43 AM

whenever you have a project that cannot be accomplished in an easy/safe/cheap manner with windoze, think LINUX. there is a learning curve, OK, but long term benefits far outweight short-term trouble  Smiley
mikanori

Activity: 8

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:05:06 AM

Linux.
Because it is more secure. And security matters a lot when dealing with bitcoins. Better start learning linux now then wait until some your windows machine is compromised and bitcoins are stolen.
anawaz

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 07:13:45 AM

Sure, but what may be the security concerns if you're mining in a pool?
bansal

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:14:10 AM

If you're going to build multiple rigs the license fees for Windows will start to add up, might as well get used to Linux.
anawaz

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 07:17:31 AM

Perhaps for others, yes. Windows licenses are not an issue for me, I have several.
anawaz

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 07:19:45 AM

And in terms of results, my hashrate average hashrate on windows is higher (by almost 30 Mash/s) than what I had on Ubuntu without overclocking in either case. That's not what most other people have seen, but that has been the case here.
dr.bitcoin

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 24, 2011, 07:20:28 AM

Linux vs. Windows is as old as ... [choose you favorite Old Testament paragraph here]
Windows is insecure, slower and expensive. Linux is (more) secure, faster (mining included) and FREE.

If you want to reboot your mining rigs every other x hours, get lower hasing rates and your passwords/wallet stolen... go windows!
anawaz

View Profile WWW
June 24, 2011, 07:24:37 AM

LOL, that's a biased statement, clearly. I don't feel the need to make an argument for either. You should use whatever works for you - it's that simple.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: