Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 05:36:09 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where are transactions stored before confirmed  (Read 1224 times)
John3D (OP)

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 08:08:29 PM

I was reading about the bitcoin process online, and I found out that transactions only get inside the blockchain after they get confirmations, they are then attached to a block and start they life inside the chain.

But where are they stored before confirmations? there's a central point or there's a "second chain" inside the first one, without confirmations? How miners reach such transactions if they aren't distributed yet.

ps.: tried search but no luck :/

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2016, 08:13:33 PM

I was reading about the bitcoin process online, and I found out that transactions only get inside the blockchain after they get confirmations, they are then attached to a block and start they life inside the chain.

But where are they stored before confirmations? there's a central point or there's a "second chain" inside the first one, without confirmations? How miners reach such transactions if they aren't distributed yet.

ps.: tried search but no luck :/

Unconfirmed transactions are stored in the memory of full nodes. If the full node is turned off (or rebooted) they are lost. Miners usually have at least one full node running in order to gather unconfirmed transactions and send blocks once founds.

This is a graph of the memory usage on my node, as you can see I restarted it a few days ago when I updated to a new version.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
John3D (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 08:17:48 PM

Unconfirmed transactions are stored in the memory of full nodes. If the full node is turned off (or rebooted) they are lost. Miners usually have at least one full node running in order to gather unconfirmed transactions and send blocks once founds.

So the transactions are already distributed between nodes? If your node goes down , the "node next door" already have that transaction? or the transactions are stored only in one node and the mining nodes need to go after transactions on other nodes when they succeed at mining?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3374
Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2016, 08:24:50 PM

So the transactions are already distributed between nodes? If your node goes down , the "node next door" already have that transaction? or the transactions are stored only in one node and the mining nodes need to go after transactions on other nodes when they succeed at mining?
All nodes store the transaction if they find it acceptable for relaying. Thus all nodes will have the transaction. Mining nodes pull from their own memory pool of transactions when they build blocks.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Merit: 4606

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 08:50:48 PM

If a transaction takes a very long time to confirm, eventually nodes will choose to drop the transaction out of their memory to make room for newer transactions.  If all the nodes have forgotten a transaction, then it won't ever get confirmed (unless someone, such as the original sender or receiver, re-braodcasts the transaction to remind all the nodes about it and get it back into their memory).
John3D (OP)

View Profile
November 17, 2016, 09:21:33 PM

Nice, everything is much clearer now, there's some "default" source for such information? there's some documentation about the internals of the bitcoind?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Merit: 6535

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 17, 2016, 10:03:35 PM

Nice, everything is much clearer now, there's some "default" source for such information? there's some documentation about the internals of the bitcoind?
Besides the source code itself, bitcoin.org has developer documentation that goes fairly in depth into the technical aspects of Bitcoin. However, I don't think there really is anything specific for bitcoind. You can poke around in the documentation in the repository for Bitcoin Core though.

odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3208

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 07:33:49 PM

https://en.bitcoin.it
https://bitcoin.org/en/developer-guide
Mastering Bitcoin by Andreas M. Antonopoulos: http://chimera.labs.oreilly.com/books/1234000001802/index.html

BTW, When people refer to the "mempool", they are referring to the collection of unconfirmed transactions held by a full node.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
mbpinewatch

Activity: 122
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 03:53:24 AM

in you wallet I guess as there wont show on blockchain until one confirm
zend7

Activity: 658
Merit: 501

Hackers please hack me .... if you can :)

View Profile
November 19, 2016, 10:49:06 AM

Usually in almost every wallet that I know the transaction is showed as unconfirmed in the moment the wallet first receives it. In Electrum for example if you right click on a transaction which reads as unconfirmed it will send you to a web page (blockchain or block trail) which are 2 of the most famous block explorers and you can get an approximate when your transaction will be confirmed. If it says high priority it will be confirmed sooner rather than later. If it's medium priority or the fee is less than recommended than it will confirm later rather than sooner.
sportis

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Veni, Vidi, Vici

View Profile
November 22, 2016, 09:18:50 AM

Using the blockchain web wallet when I receive a payment after 1st confirmation I can see the progress of pending confirmations from 1 to 3. When I send an amount I can't see anything. I must use a blockchain explorer.
beerlover
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1156

View Profile
November 24, 2016, 08:22:16 PM

Yes, the unconfirmed transactions are distributed into node and that is the reason that there is no worry to get lost the bitcoins as if one node turn down the other will confirm the transaction and can transact bitcoin without any worry.

.DuelbitsSPORTS.
▄▄▄███████▄▄▄
▄▄█████████████████▄▄
▄██████████████████████▄
██████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
▀████████████████████████
▀▀███████████████████
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
████████▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄██
███▄█▀▄▄▀███▄█████
█████████████▀▀▀██
██▀ ▀██████████████████
███▄███████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
▀█████████████████████▀
▀▀███████████████▀▀
▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀
OFFICIAL EUROPEAN
BETTING PARTNER OF
ASTON VILLA FC
██
██
██
██

██
██
██
██

██
██
██
10%   CASHBACK   
          100%   MULTICHARGER   
xIIImaL
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1005

View Profile
November 25, 2016, 04:04:31 AM

Using the blockchain web wallet when I receive a payment after 1st confirmation I can see the progress of pending confirmations from 1 to 3. When I send an amount I can't see anything. I must use a blockchain explorer.

These confirmations use to move via mining blocks as your transacting bitcoins through the nodes. This is why it is wait to get the multiple confirmations. If you wish to transfer soon increase your fee amount.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: