Bitcoin Forum
June 25, 2024, 04:42:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Which is the most cheapest blockchain for storing data  (Read 588 times)
tyz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533

View Profile
November 18, 2016, 11:59:55 AM
Last edit: January 01, 2017, 03:23:12 PM by tyz

I support a small research project on my former university where data is stored in the blockchain. During the test phase, we have to store a lot of data in order to test the functionality and correctness of the software.

That is why we want to use a blockchain project, where we can save data cheaply. We use data volumes of up to 250 kBytes for each transaction. Most transactions however are between 10 to 50 kBytes less than 25 kBytes. We have already tried Bitcoin and Nxt blockchain, but both charge relatively high costs which are simply too expensive for the test in the long run.

Any suggestions for alternatives?

We thought about to use test nets where we can get coins for free. But we decided to test it on a productive blockchain in order to face real confirmation and load times and issues.
tyz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 02:17:49 PM

The topic is more than a month old without receiving an answer yet. Any suggestions? I'm planning a small new project in the new year and I'm not sure which (cheap) block chain I should use for the prototype.
knircky

Activity: 99
Merit: 18

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 02:29:35 PM

I support a small research project on my former university where data is stored in the blockchain. During the test phase, we have to store a lot of data in order to test the functionality and correctness of the software.

That is why we want to use a blockchain project, where we can save data cheaply. We use data volumes of up to 250 kBytes for each transaction. Most transactions however are between 10 to 50 kBytes. We have already tried Bitcoin and Nxt blockchain, but both charge relatively high costs which are simply too expensive for the test in the long run.

Any suggestions for alternatives?

We thought about to use test nets where we can get coins for free. But we decided to test it on a productive blockchain in order to face real confirmation and load times and issues.

The steem blockchain is designed to store text dtata and is free to use. U have to have some coins in order to use it but there are no transaction cost.

Go to steemit.com to check it out

freigeist

Activity: 1107
Merit: 534

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 02:39:58 PM

The topic is more than a month old without receiving an answer yet. Any suggestions? I'm planning a small new project in the new year and I'm not sure which (cheap) block chain I should use for the prototype.

It could be that your thread was unnoticed.
Any way you could check "qora".
You could make webpages or store any other content within blockchain and it has an integrated webserver
but it also has a transaction costs.

Check the last official thread here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1358722.0

c789

Activity: 850
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 29, 2016, 07:33:36 PM

You can also check out MaidSafe, Factom, and Sia.

Comparison of Privacy-Centric Coins: https://moneroforcash.com/monero-vs-dash-vs-zcash-vs-bitcoinmixers.php also includes Verge and Pivx
freshman777

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2016, 07:58:22 PM

NXT's prunable messages feature.

ARDOR - Blockchain as a Service. Three birds with one stone. /// Do not hold NXT at exchanges, NXT wallets: core+lite, mobile Android
tyz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 03:18:17 PM

Thanks for all the answers so far. I will take a deeper look into the suggested projects.

I have read and considered prunable message of NXT already theoretically. However I could not find any information about how costly it is compared to usual arbitrary messages. Do you can provide any source for the topic?
tyz (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 03:28:13 PM

Updated opening post: Since we implemented some algorithms to compress the data before it get stored to the block chain, the data packages are less than 25 kBytes per transaction in most cases now.
freshman777

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2017, 04:50:28 PM

Thanks for all the answers so far. I will take a deeper look into the suggested projects.

I have read and considered prunable message of NXT already theoretically. However I could not find any information about how costly it is compared to usual arbitrary messages. Do you can provide any source for the topic?

From https://nxtwiki.org/wiki/Nxt_Software_Change_Log

1 NXT for up to 1k bytes, 0.1 NXT for each 1k above, up to the limit of 42k.

The cost of storing a 25KB prunable message is 3.4 NXT = 0.02 USD at the current exchange rate.

ARDOR - Blockchain as a Service. Three birds with one stone. /// Do not hold NXT at exchanges, NXT wallets: core+lite, mobile Android
str4wm4n
Legendary

Activity: 1611
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 01, 2017, 05:57:37 PM

Try Byteball
50cent_rapper
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2017, 08:12:25 AM

IOTA is made exactly for this use case: storing data/hashes from IoT sensors.
Thus it take 0 (zero) fees. I'm very surprised that no one mentioned this.

https://iotatangle.slack.com,
ask help in #testing and #developers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: