Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 07:19:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoinweekly suggests a guard against the 51% problem  (Read 658 times)
pokwer (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:42:38 PM

So, since I'm a newbie and locked out of the main forum, I'll post my stupidnoobquestion here.  To be fair, it's probably for the best since I'd likely get flamed out for being a repetitive troll otherwise... but... I haven't seen this particular suggestion before:

From http://bitcoinweekly.com/articles/taking-down-the-bitcoin-network :
If it is technically viable, I would suggest that the network be configured now to reject any block from a source with 50% or greater of the processing power. I'm afraid I don't have the technical knowledge to explain how, or even know if it's possible to pre-configure that, but it is something I would like to see, as it would close the only real security hole Bitcoin has.

Is this possible?  Is it a sensible solution?

Cheers.
SomeoneWeird

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 14, 2011, 01:44:38 PM

So, since I'm a newbie and locked out of the main forum, I'll post my stupidnoobquestion here.  To be fair, it's probably for the best since I'd likely get flamed out for being a repetitive troll otherwise... but... I haven't seen this particular suggestion before:

From http://bitcoinweekly.com/articles/taking-down-the-bitcoin-network :
If it is technically viable, I would suggest that the network be configured now to reject any block from a source with 50% or greater of the processing power. I'm afraid I don't have the technical knowledge to explain how, or even know if it's possible to pre-configure that, but it is something I would like to see, as it would close the only real security hole Bitcoin has.

Is this possible?  Is it a sensible solution?

Cheers.

AFAIK, theres no way for the network to know who the block is coming from.
notnatural

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 22, 2013, 05:50:40 AM

need to get my post up so i can post some outside of Newbie thank
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: