Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:43:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I've shunned Bytecoin  (Read 1973 times)
pandemic (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 12:21:24 PM

I'm keeping far away from it for a few reasons. The biggest being it was released on april fools... APRIL FOOLS. Why?! If you want to create a legitimate currency, why not wait till any other day in the year where the goal is not to play a practical joke? Nobody is going to take it seriously.
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
needbmw
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 12:23:25 PM

Nobody, really?  Grin

Network hashrate: 1031.62 GH/s

NO PSAKING!
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Hero VIP ultra official trusted super staff puppet

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 12:23:53 PM

That's kind of a ridiculous reason to shun a currency. If you're going to shun it, shun it for the right reasons, like:

• Most people circle jerking about it seem to be sockpuppets
  • It has no value
  • It's a carbon copy of Bitcoin

Pump and dump. That's a reason to shun it.

pandemic (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 12:29:57 PM

The april fools thing is just such an issue for me. Not to mention the others you mentioned. People are so upset that they weren't in on the first days of BTC that they're willing to toss processing power to the wind for little more reason than to make 50 coins of something at a time. I wish I was in in on the early days of BTC too but bytecoin isn't going to make it. LTC has far more potential and it's been around years longer. If someone's going to get into a cryptocurrency, it's going to be either BTC or LTC. I see those two being the biggest two for (hopefully) decades to come. I just think starting up a currency now without a goal in mind is useless.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 12:33:02 PM

The april fools thing is just such an issue for me. Not to mention the others you mentioned. People are so upset that they weren't in on the first days of BTC that they're willing to toss processing power to the wind for little more reason than to make 50 coins of something at a time. I wish I was in in on the early days of BTC too but bytecoin isn't going to make it. LTC has far more potential and it's been around years longer. If someone's going to get into a cryptocurrency, it's going to be either BTC or LTC. I see those two being the biggest two for (hopefully) decades to come. I just think starting up a currency now without a goal in mind is useless.

I'm all for currency competition, I hope there are hundreds of variants made in the future so that we have even more options, but *duplicate copies* should be ignored completely as money grabs.

bushstar

Activity: 617
Merit: 531

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 12:53:01 PM

This coin should go no where. If it does get value then great as I mined a lot just for fun, but fool on those who gave it value for my dump.

pandemic (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 01:00:23 PM

Did anyone even look at the code? I'm really hung up on this 4/1 thing or just paranoid I guess.
Byte-Gox

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 01:24:05 PM

I'm all for currency competition, I hope there are hundreds of variants made in the future so that we have even more options, but *duplicate copies* should be ignored completely as money grabs.

Hard to ignore the hash rate

Network hashrate: 793.28 GH/s

April fool Wink
meebs

Activity: 616

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 01:24:10 PM

Nobody, really?  Grin

Network hashrate: 1031.62 GH/s

in the days of ASICS that is not saying much.

if it was that much in GPU/FPGA.. then its a legit number.

▄▄▄█████████████▄▄▄
           ▄████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▄
        ▄██████▀▀             ▀▀██████▄
      ▄█████▀▀                    ▀▀█████▄
     █████▀                          ▀█████
    ████▀          ▄▄███████▄▄         ▀████
   ████▌        ▄██▀▀▀    ▀▀▀██▄        ▐████
  ████▌       ▄██▀            ▀██▄       ▐████
 ▐████       ██▀   ▄▄█▀▀▀█▄▄    ▀██       ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▀  ▄▄   ▀▀             ▐████
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
▐████       ██  ▐█  ▐█                     ████▌
▐████       ██  █▌  █▌ █████████████      ████▌
 ████▌      ▐█▌   █▄  ▀▀   ▄▄    ██▀      ▐████
 ▐████       ██▄   ▀▀█▄▄▄█▀▀    ██▌       ████▌
  █████       ▀██▄            ▄██▀       █████
   █████        ▀██▄▄▄    ▄▄▄██▀        █████
    █████          ▀▀███████▀▀         █████
     █████▄                          ▄█████
      ▀█████▄▄                    ▄▄█████▀
        ▀██████▄▄             ▄▄██████▀
           ▀████████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████████▀
              ▀▀▀█████████████▀▀▀
Global Cryptocurrency
          ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

DECENTRALISING PRODUCTION, LOGISTICS AND PAYMENT 
                ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   3D SERVICE      32 BAY     GCC WEBWALLET
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

needbmw
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1008

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 01:33:41 PM

Sure, but ASIC time worth ~2.8BTC/hour now for 1Th/s. I don't think somebody will spend over 9000$/day just for lulz.

NO PSAKING!
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 01:35:36 PM

Sure, but ASIC time worth ~2.8BTC/hour now for 1Th/s. I don't think somebody will spend over 9000$/day just for lulz.

It wouldn't be for the lulz. It'd be for the pump and dump, to artificially stimulate interest and give it the perception of growing adoption (read: constant influx of sockpuppets here supporting it). To the person "spending" money pointing their ASIC to it, it's merely a different investment to them.

momagic

Activity: 152
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 01:37:30 PM

That's kind of a ridiculous reason to shun a currency. If you're going to shun it, shun it for the right reasons, like:

• It has no value

This.

Same with PPC and TRC. Some people made loads off other peoples ignorance (mione included)
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 01:39:52 PM

Yes it was probably released as a troll, but that doesn't have any bearing on whether or not its a good idea.

yes there are lots of sock puppets, and yes they are probably trying to pump and dump, but its not as if they are doing a very good job and so what if some people are trying to pump and dump *if* its a good idea than it should stand on its own

Sure if you asked me to bet one way or the other whether this currency would survive than i would say probably not. But that doesnt make it a bad buy. if you could get a lottery ticket at 90% discount you probably wouldn't win the lottery but technically it would probably be a good investment.

And yes the fact that it is a carbon copy is its big weakness but its also a strength in other ways. 1) it has a strong development team, the bitcoin development team. 2)why fix what isnt broken 3)IF it does come to the point where we need 2 dozen blockchains, who wants to learn all about 2 dozen gimmicks that dont legitimately improve on bitcoin in anyway? i opt for the simplicity of a bitcoin2 unless someone is LEGITIMATELY going to innovate with an alt coin.

ok im done

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 01:46:38 PM

• It has no value

I agree totally. Not too mention the copycat name, likely chosen to confused newbies/fools.
mr_random
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1001

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 02:00:03 PM

It's going to be another BBQ coin.

People are blatantly just trying to print themselves money now. It will get to the point where there are so many alt currencies being launched that only the strongest will get any kind of attention.
shinkicker

Activity: 140
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:12:10 PM

I shunned it as its a copy and paste coin and which will likley be followed now by 100 more thanks to all these fools setting up pools and gambling sites around it.
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:23:41 PM

What if byte coin over took lite coin in hash rate?

What are the exact differences between ByteCoin and Bitcoin? Litecoin has an obvious difference that people trust, hence it has lasted.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:32:42 PM

Litecoin has an obvious difference that people trust, hence it has lasted.

This difference is so little. I wouldn't pay much attention to it.
Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 04:05:03 PM

What are the exact differences between ByteCoin and Bitcoin? Litecoin has an obvious difference that people trust, hence it has lasted.

the addresses start with 8.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
Matthew N. Wright
Untrustworthy

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 04:06:28 PM

the addresses start with 8.

Obviously it's 8 times better!

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: