Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 10:28:53 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Imported example private key for test, how to remove it now?  (Read 653 times)
Zeemvel (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:18:40 PM

Hello,

I installed bitcoin-qt on my Linux and got a wallet.

For testing purposes, I tried adding the public example of a private key given here:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Private_key

To my wallet, by using the following command in the console of bitcoin-qt:

importprivkey 5Kb8kLf9zgWQnogidDA76MzPL6TsZZY36hWXMssSzNydYXYB9KF "test"

However, how can I remove it now? I think lots of people have added this one, and I have no clue what it means, I don't want it messing up my wallet.

Thanks.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 4759

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:41:45 PM

Hello,

I installed bitcoin-qt on my Linux and got a wallet.

For testing purposes, I tried adding the public example of a private key given here:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Private_key

To my wallet, by using the following command in the console of bitcoin-qt:

importprivkey 5Kb8kLf9zgWQnogidDA76MzPL6TsZZY36hWXMssSzNydYXYB9KF "test"

However, how can I remove it now? I think lots of people have added this one, and I have no clue what it means, I don't want it messing up my wallet.

Thanks.

It won't mess up your wallet.  You can safely just ignore it.

I don't think that Bitcoin-Qt has anything built in to delete addresses/private keys.  You could create a new wallet and transfer the bitcoins from this wallet to the new one or you could import all the private keys that you want to keep from this wallet into the new wallet.  I'm not sure if pywallet has the functionality to delete/remove private keys and the associated addresses.
lbr

Activity: 423
Merit: 254

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:42:17 PM

I can think of only - export all your private keys, delete wallet, create wallet, import private keys.

BTC: 18ozhbkfHneX8tnPgHJuTizyBmspM5Vgpa  LTC: LgVc7KdedPGZyDXHXEH9G7z6AoTmTvDdWb
cgminer 2.11.13 x64 portable for Mac OS X 10.6.8
6+ GPUs driver mod for Windows
Zeemvel (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:45:42 PM

If I would keep this address on it, then if someone would send money to it, what would happen? I'm assuming (because it's an example) that hundreds of people have added this. So if it receives money, which person does it go to?
John (John K.)
Global Troll-buster and
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1227

Away on an extended break

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 03:46:46 PM

If I would keep this address on it, then if someone would send money to it, what would happen? I'm assuming (because it's an example) that hundreds of people have added this. So if it receives money, which person does it go to?
All of you with the key. The first one to spend it, spends it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: