Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 08:04:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any offers of BTC Options, to be settled in GBP?  (Read 1044 times)
stereotype (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 04:04:54 PM

Are there any reputable members, who could offer a BTC Option agreement in £s?

The fee could be paid in BTC, but for the Option to be settled in GBP/Sterling.

Thanks
theta

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 07:52:39 PM

If someone came up with a trading platform (like an exchange) I would be interested in trading options in BTC, settled in GBP. I would even consider proper market making providing bid-offers for an entire strip of options and different maturities. If in a few years, trading volumes have continued to increase at the current rate, I could even consider coming up with such a service as a full time job (not worth it yet though Smiley )
stereotype (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 08:13:53 PM

If someone came up with a trading platform (like an exchange) I would be interested in trading options in BTC, settled in GBP. I would even consider proper market making providing bid-offers for an entire strip of options and different maturities. If in a few years, trading volumes have continued to increase at the current rate, I could even consider coming up with such a service as a full time job (not worth it yet though Smiley )

Not sure if youre UK based, but i started a thread, in a similar vain..... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=158010.0
theta

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 08:43:42 PM

Not sure if youre UK based, but i started a thread, in a similar vain..... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=158010.0
I am, yes, I'm checking that thread.
stereotype (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 12:31:41 PM

Got my option, although the terms are to exercise in BTC and not GBP.... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=169502.0;topicseen
theta

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:05:14 PM

Got my option, although the terms are to exercise in BTC and not GBP.... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=169502.0;topicseen

You got a bargain, given historical realised volatility, IMHO it's worth about double that.
Projects

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 07:29:38 PM

You got a bargain, given historical realised volatility, IMHO it's worth about double that.

He did get a good deal, was only because it was on behalf of a relative of mine who wished to hedge a small amount of his coins incase BTC value remains the same or crashes.
This was a one off deal.
He was going to sell 10 BTC for £1000 but decided to do this instead so technically if the option is excercised he will make an additional £600.
I do not believe BTC will crash and neither does he, but he actually will make more money overall if BTC does jump over £150 - so hopefully it will and be win-win for all parties Smiley
He reads this forum but does not post so I am conducting this on his behalf - I also hold the 10 BTC in my posession until the end of this also.

Buying Bitcoins for cash or gold/silver bullion many methods to pay you - pm me for more information
Bank transfer, Cash, Postal Order, Western Union, MoneyGram, SEPA, Amazon & More  - Worldwide Transfers Available
*NEW* BTC for Citibank P2P transfers - USD/EUR please pm me for more information
theta

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 08:21:13 PM

He did get a good deal, was only because it was on behalf of a relative of mine who wished to hedge a small amount of his coins incase BTC value remains the same or crashes.
This was a one off deal.
He was going to sell 10 BTC for £1000 but decided to do this instead so technically if the option is excercised he will make an additional £600.
I do not believe BTC will crash and neither does he, but he actually will make more money overall if BTC does jump over £150 - so hopefully it will and be win-win for all parties Smiley
He reads this forum but does not post so I am conducting this on his behalf - I also hold the 10 BTC in my posession until the end of this also.

Yes, of course he will make more money than having sold his BTC as he remains long the coins up to a price of £150, and you both will be better off if for example 1BTC=£200 by July. But my point was more about the fair value of the option if you used an implied volatility anywhere near historical realized volatility. It should be worth more like 20%. Good luck to both of you anyway!  Smiley
stereotype (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:56:50 PM

This was a one off deal.

Tis a fine example of how different players buy and sell for all sorts of strategies and reasons. Who would have thought that Bitcoin would evolve into Options and Hedging so soon, eh?

Regards to your relative. 
im3w1l

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 15, 2013, 08:13:47 PM

I could do that, but I'd have no idea how to compute capital requirements for those selling options. How?
theta

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 12:23:39 PM

Given the extremely high volatility the safest way to start is to have fully collateralized trades, i.e. allow only covered calls selling (overwriting existing BTC positions held by the exchange) and selling puts with the full GBP amount for potential assignment also held in the option seller's account.
stereotype (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
April 16, 2013, 05:12:50 PM

I could do that, but I'd have no idea how to compute capital requirements for those selling options. How?

What theta said. Or put another way, make sure you cover your backside for every bitcoin eventually.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: