Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:14:39 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How are signatures confirmed?  (Read 822 times)
keatonatron (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

Jack of oh so many trades.

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 04:28:11 PM

Hey all,

I understand the concept of hashing and how public and private keys are generated and utilized. I also understand how they can be used for security in non-Bitcoin applications. But one thing I'm curious about and don't understand is how signatures included in Bitcoin transactions can be independently verified without knowing the private key.

The wiki states "With the public key, a mathematical algorithm can be used on the signature to determine that it was originally produced from the hash and the private key, without needing to know the private key."

But I would like to know how the mathmatical algorithm can do that without knowing the private key.

Can anyone explain the general concept?

Thanks!

1KEATSvAhbB7yj2baLB5xkyJSnkfqPGAqk
grue
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1431

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 04:36:32 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography

It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Adblock for annoying signature ads | Enhanced Merit UI
proff

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 05:01:25 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliptic_Curve_DSA
r.willis

Activity: 42
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 08:21:03 PM
Last edit: April 07, 2013, 05:39:18 AM by r.willis

There is typo in that article:
6. Calculate s = k-1(z + r + dA) mod n. If s = 0, go back to step 3.
Should be k-1(z + rdA). I'd like to fix it myself, but wiki would not let me (IP banned).
keatonatron (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:32:43 AM

I'd like to fix it myself, but wiki would not let me (IP banned).

How did that happen?  Tongue

etotheipi
Legendary
expert

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 04:38:47 AM
Last edit: April 07, 2013, 05:38:01 AM by etotheipi

What you are asking about is precisely what "asymmetric cryptography" is.  A public key is like a locked mailbox with a dropslot and a window in it.  A private key is the key to that box.  

-- (Encryption) Anyone with the public key can find the mailbox and drop a letter in the slot. N o one else can open and read it except for the person with the private key.
-- (Signing) The person with the private key can write a message and tape it to the inside of the box facing out through the window.  Then anyone with the public key can find that mailbox, see the message, and know that only the person with the private key could've put the message there.

Most asymmetric cryptography is based on cyclic groups, and discrete logarithm problems.  You can go look them up, but you have to be really good at math to really understand it.  

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
r.willis

Activity: 42
Merit: 11

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 05:36:27 AM

Wikipedia's policy about public proxies.
keatonatron (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 09:07:02 AM

What you are asking about is precisely what "asymmetric cryptography" is.  A public key is like a locked mailbox with a dropslot and a window in it.  A private key is the key to that box.  

-- (Encryption) Anyone with the public key can find the mailbox and drop a letter in the slot. N o one else can open and read it except for the person with the private key.
-- (Signing) The person with the private key can write a message and tape it to the inside of the box facing out through the window.  Then anyone with the public key can find that mailbox, see the message, and know that only the person with the private key could've put the message there.

Most asymmetric cryptography is based on cyclic groups, and discrete logarithm problems.  You can go look them up, but you have to be really good at math to really understand it.  

Yeah, I looked through the wikipedia page and got some of it. I noticed the part about calculating curves and whatnot, but I've never heard of cyclic groups before so I'm not really sure what that entails. I think I got enough to satisfy my curiosity, though!

Wikipedia's policy about public proxies.

That's not as cool as what I was envisioning  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: