Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 07:05:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: PS4 Pro Mining or Xbox One S Mining?  (Read 7251 times)
IamRune (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 22, 2016, 11:05:24 PM

I remember back when Bitcoin was minable via Playstation.  Has anyone looked into this and could anyone determine if this is possible?

Current specs are

CPU: x86-64 AMD "Jaguar," 8 cores.
GPU: 4.20 TFLOPS, 8GB DDR3 Memory
AMD Radeon™ based graphics engine
klondike_bar
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1005

ASIC Wannabe

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 03:49:00 AM

that relied on the PS3's linux capabilities

AFAIK the PS4 isnt designed to allow any sort of root/shell access

24" PCI-E cables with 16AWG wires and stripped ends - great for server PSU mods, best prices https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=563461
No longer a wannabe - now an ASIC owner!
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 04:47:30 AM

Even if they DID allow that (I am pretty sure someone is working on or has done LINUX for those), the APU in them is VERY similar on specifications to the A10-7890k overall (except for 8 CPU cores instead of 4 and lower clocks) and is NOT going to be a viable mining machine for any significant amount of mining done.

The PS4 might have a slight advantage due to the GDDR5 memory, but it's still a VERY SMALL GPU at rather low clock speed by current standards (probably a tossup to a hair better than the HD 7750 which had the SAME number of GCN cores, GDDR5 ram though probably clocked a bit lower, and the same to a bit higher GPU core clock speed - the APU might gain a bit due to more recent GCN implimentation, but it'll not overclock nearly as well due to the TDP limitations and the many CPU cores as part of the same silicon).

It's the XBox 1 that has DDR3, not the PS4 - but that's the ONLY significant difference between the APU in the 2 units (and is why the XBox 1 loses on benchmarks, slower memory matters).

Keep in mind that back in the day that the PS3 could mine Bitcoin effectively, there was *NO* GPU compute capability at all so it was only competing with CPUs, and the CPU in the PS3 was one of the most powerfull available for ANYTHING at the time.

As of the last time I looked at pricing for the two, I figured out I could build a computer with the top-end A10 APU for about the same price or a little LESS than a Xbox1 and definitely less than a PS4 with the same amount of RAM and bigger HD (or smaller but much faster SSD).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: