Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 01:50:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: an empty bitcoin core wallet i.e. full node helps the net?  (Read 483 times)
r1973 (OP)

Activity: 191
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 09:02:37 AM

Does running a full node bitcoin core wallet (0.13.1) connected to the network (port 8333 open) with NO send/receive at all, i.e. zero ballance - helps the net or not? If so, how?
amacar2
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1007

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 09:13:23 AM

It seems it can help the bitcoin network better look here https://bitcoin.org/en/full-node#what-is-a-full-node

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.YoBit AirDrop $.|.Get 700 YoDollars for Free!.🏆
r1973 (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 10:02:50 AM

when said that a full node validates transactions and blocks - does it validates any (random) transcations and blocks from the net or just the ones which are send into it as a wallet? I am asking this because my wallet (i.e. full node on my PC) is empty - it has no transactions at all. My wallet balance is zero.
Jet Cash
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2457

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2016, 10:11:11 AM

It is my understanding that it connects to a bunch of peers, and it validates transactions during "discussions" with them. This is not related to the cointents of your wallet, but is used to maintain your copy of the blockchain.

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 01:27:31 PM

You can even run a node with the disablewallet feature enabled. No worries about that, you could have 0 or 999999 BTC, it would be the same for the network.
saatana

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

Tipsters Championship www.DirectBet.eu/Competition

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 01:30:28 PM

you don't need a wallet of your own to validate transactions and serve as a backup for the blockchain

but would be a waste, in my opinion
r1973 (OP)

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 05:44:56 PM

you don't need a wallet of your own to validate transactions and serve as a backup for the blockchain

what is the difference between a miner and a full-node when it comes to checking (i.e. validating) the thousands of transactions in each block and the history of the blockchain - 24/7, thus securing the bitcoin network?
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4653

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 06:10:54 PM

Does running a full node bitcoin core wallet (0.13.1) connected to the network (port 8333 open) with NO send/receive at all, i.e. zero ballance - helps the net or not?

Yes.

If so, how?

It validates the transactions and blocks, enforces the consensus rules, and relays both transactions and blocks to other nodes.

when said that a full node validates transactions and blocks - does it validates any (random) transcations and blocks from the net or just the ones which are send into it as a wallet?

It validates ALL blocks and ALL transactions that are sent by the nodes it is connected to.

what is the difference between a miner and a full-node when it comes to checking (i.e. validating) the thousands of transactions in each block and the history of the blockchain - 24/7, thus securing the bitcoin network?

Nothing.

Miners that don't want to risk being on a bad fork will run a full node and only work with transactions and blocks that the full node has verified.

Full nodes don't trust anything that they receive.  They validate every transaction and every block, and only relay the ones that the node determines are "valid".

A solo-miner (or mining pool), is just a full node that is also building valid blocks.  The only thing that miners "secure" is the order of the transactions (which came first, second, third, etc).  The proof-of-work (hashing) makes it extremely difficult to change that order or to add or remove anything from the historical list.

If a miner tries to broadcast an invalid block, EVERY full node on the system that receives that block will reject it and refuse to relay it to any other nodes.

If a user tries to broadcast an invalid transaction, EVERY full node on the system that receives that transaction will reject it and refuse to relay it to any other nodes.

thejaytiesto
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 07:55:25 PM

Actually I think there was an idea (im not sure if by satoshi or later on) to separate the wallet from the node, as in there would be a client that includes the wallet and another client that makes impossible to store coins. Probably they discarded this idea because it would only add confusion with 2 separate clients that do the same except for the wallet.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2016, 08:04:13 PM

Actually I think there was an idea (im not sure if by satoshi or later on) to separate the wallet from the node, as in there would be a client that includes the wallet and another client that makes impossible to store coins. Probably they discarded this idea because it would only add confusion with 2 separate clients that do the same except for the wallet.

The code is already separated and there even is a command to disable the wallet part[1] if you just want to run a full node.

[1] -disablewallet   -> https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: