Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 02:29:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Paper wallet with a strong password  (Read 1967 times)
calkob (OP)

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 04:51:25 PM
Merited by ABCbits (1)

Hi i was just wondering is it basically impossible to take bitcoin from an encrypted paper wallet that has a strong password?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
achow101
Legendary
expert

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6581

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2016, 05:29:27 PM

Hi i was just wondering is it basically impossible to take bitcoin from an encrypted paper wallet that has a strong password?
Unless a weakness is found in AES, then no, Bitcoin cannot be stolen from an encrypted paper wallet with a strong password.

cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 1299

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 05:37:38 PM

Just be sure the password is actually really strong.  Many passwords that people think are strong are not.

e.g.

http://lifehacker.com/5937303/your-clever-password-tricks-arent-protecting-you-from-todays-hackers
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2016, 06:44:36 PM

Check out http://bitaddress.org you can open it in an incognito window (no browse cache), unplug your internet, print it out, restart your computer and bada bing bada bam.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

BuySomeBitcoins

Activity: 434
Merit: 253

View Profile
November 23, 2016, 08:34:30 PM

Check out http://bitaddress.org you can open it in an incognito window (no browse cache), unplug your internet, print it out, restart your computer and bada bing bada bam.

If OP is paranoid, he can build his own bitaddress via https://github.com/pointbiz/bitaddress.org

Make sure your computer is not compromised [use linux]
calkob (OP)

View Profile
November 27, 2016, 07:04:38 PM

Just be sure the password is actually really strong.  Many passwords that people think are strong are not.

e.g.

http://lifehacker.com/5937303/your-clever-password-tricks-arent-protecting-you-from-todays-hackers

Would something like this be a strong password?

darrenisgoing2theshopuntilldinner
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2016, 07:41:47 PM

e.g.

No, generate random words. E.g. with a dice and the wordlist the EFF published a while back[1].

cosigner throng limpness penny treadmill reformer

Make up a small story to help you remember.

The cosigners in the throng went limp(ness) as only a penny was left after the threadmill of bitcoins reformation(-er).

Maybe think a little longer than 30 seconds on the story. Some of mine turned out so well I wish I could talk to someone about them.

[1] https://www.eff.org/de/deeplinks/2016/07/new-wordlists-random-passphrases

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
calkob (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 12:48:11 PM

Maybe think a little longer than 30 seconds on the story. Some of mine turned out so well I wish I could talk to someone about them.

HAHA i like the sound of that, we stories securing your bitcoins.  Grin
ArcCsch

Activity: 224
Merit: 117

▲ Portable backup power source for mining.

View Profile
December 01, 2016, 05:01:04 AM
Last edit: December 01, 2016, 04:02:16 PM by ArcCsch

You can talk about them all you like...after you clear the wallet.
I use something simpler, a modification to the bitcoinpaperwallet design to give space to write 2x18=36 dice rolls (I use a 6x6 table to turn dice rolls into characters) of entropy (more than 93 bits), for BIP38 encryption. This is adequate protection against someone hacking my wallet on the way to the printer. The projecting strip folds in half and is concealed deep within the folds.
I am not using this wallet and never will (image is reflected horizontally, dots on characters are to resolve ambiguities):

If you don't have sole and complete control over the private keys, you don't have any bitcoin!  Signature campaigns are OK, zero tolorance for spam!
1JGYXhfhPrkiHcpYkiuCoKpdycPhGCuswa
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16600

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
December 01, 2016, 09:23:36 AM

This address has 1 Bitcoin in it: 1J5cjne6YVkgRTMTjqnaJVk1CWEEr3CcdX
It's free, for whoever cracks the 6 random characters in the BIP38 password. It hasn't been cracked since April 2015. You can find the Encrypted Private Key in I'm BIP38 curious, please help me out!
It costs a lot more than 1 Bitcoin to brute-force the password.

dbstmddhks

Activity: 523
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 01, 2016, 02:52:50 PM

This address has 1 Bitcoin in it: 1J5cjne6YVkgRTMTjqnaJVk1CWEEr3CcdX
It's free, for whoever cracks the 6 random characters in the BIP38 password. It hasn't been cracked since April 2015. You can find the Encrypted Private Key in I'm BIP38 curious, please help me out!
It costs a lot more than 1 Bitcoin to brute-force the password.

Wow, 6 random characters in the BIP38 password !

We need super super suuuppppeeeerrrrr computer for solving it.  Wink

From wan.
repdev

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2016, 02:41:28 PM

The good and old paper wallet are one of the most secure.
kolloh
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1023

View Profile
December 07, 2016, 06:19:42 PM

Paper wallets are usually a pretty good method of storing coins and they are what I've used. Although, I have been looking into getting a hardware wallet possibly in the future to replace the paper wallet method. They seem to have several advantages over paper wallets but I'd assume you'd also need a paper backup for them in case of hardware failure. Paper can only fail if it gets lost of damaged lol.
Wipro

Activity: 924
Merit: 512

View Profile
December 08, 2016, 02:55:28 PM

i think it is strong password. every humanbeing have different set of thinking. so he is create strong password. paper wallet is sometimes mistakes is happen sometime we are solving accurately.
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2016, 12:30:19 PM
Last edit: December 09, 2016, 12:46:51 PM by piotr_n

not after you've just posted it Smiley

but in general, I'd say it is strong.
you have 8 words - that's very complex to brute-force using a dictionary method, as the attacker would need to use a very big dictionary.

still, I'd advise to use at least twice that many words.
and throw some "mistakes" into a couple of the words.

the method I use: make a short original poem and remember it. poems are easy to remember.
never post it anywhere online!
you don't need to type the whole words - depending on the length of your poem, it might be just the first and last letter of each word, or something like that.
just make sure the password is long enough after all - 34 "random" low-case characters should do as they'd give about the same entropy (brute-force resistance) as the 160 bits of a bitcoin address.
also mind that some letters are more common in the language than others - try to make sure your 34-character password does not follow these statistics.

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
calkob (OP)

View Profile
December 10, 2016, 03:45:58 PM

Paper wallets are usually a pretty good method of storing coins and they are what I've used. Although, I have been looking into getting a hardware wallet possibly in the future to replace the paper wallet method. They seem to have several advantages over paper wallets but I'd assume you'd also need a paper backup for them in case of hardware failure. Paper can only fail if it gets lost of damaged lol.

Yeah i had considered a hardware wallet myself but then just thought i would rather spend that money getting more bitcoin Smiley  i am mostly hodling my bitcoin now anyway so dont really require to be moving them about alot.
Ejinx

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 16, 2016, 09:40:52 PM

If its offline it will be secure
ArcCsch

Activity: 224
Merit: 117

▲ Portable backup power source for mining.

View Profile
December 16, 2016, 09:51:25 PM

If its offline it will be secure
You also have to generate it in a secure fashion, if you use shady software on a computer clogged with viruses, you may have your coins stolen.
Using a Linux cold boot USB is not perfect, but it is the best most people can practicably (without buying a hardware wallet or using multisignature addresses) achieve.
Another security hole is the route to the printer, which is why I use wallet encryption in the first place.

If you don't have sole and complete control over the private keys, you don't have any bitcoin!  Signature campaigns are OK, zero tolorance for spam!
1JGYXhfhPrkiHcpYkiuCoKpdycPhGCuswa
szafa

Activity: 812
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 24, 2016, 08:24:06 PM

You can also use random keys from keybord to have strong password or random words this is more efective.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: