Bitcoin Forum
July 07, 2024, 07:27:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it still profitable to build a mining/gaming rig at this time?  (Read 2454 times)
Watermen (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 09:05:04 PM

I just started mining bitcoin last week. With my current computer, I am only get about 130mhash.

I am thinking of customizing a mining rig with the best video card on the market. My budget is around $2000.

Please don't tell me to buy ASIC from BLY or Avalon, BLY is not even delivering, Avalon is not even selling now.

My logic of making a gaming machine is that, in the event that it is no longer profitable, at least I still own the machine and can play games with it. If I buy bitcoin now and the price drop, I am going to lose everything.

Can someone please guide me or recommend me?

For example:

Best motherboard:

Best RAM:

Best graphic card:

etc…

I really appreciate your input trying to help a newbie like me.
XXthetimeisnowXX

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

a wolf in sheeps clothing. suckerfish

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 09:13:41 PM

maybe just buy 2k worth of bitcoin, thats JMO. some one will tell ya about mining but I have a feeling most will say that its not worth it.

wish i could help more.  Cheesy
Watermen (OP)

Activity: 5

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:12:54 PM

maybe just buy 2k worth of bitcoin, thats JMO. some one will tell ya about mining but I have a feeling most will say that its not worth it.

wish i could help more.  Cheesy

Thanks….

Can someone give me some opinions on the hardware?
cjspiller28

Activity: 67
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:19:18 PM

Not really, unless you have a lot to invest towards it.  I'd rather just invest in bitcoin itself.
bmine

Activity: 2

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:04:10 AM

Check the hardware at the bottom of this page https://bitclockers.com/calc if you're happy to decide what GPU to use, based *primarily* on mining.

Have fun! As you probably know GPU mining is in decline, but investing in BTC currency is another risk entirely. Either way, assume that you're relinquishing the cash, and be pleasantly surprised if/when you make a profit.
Zendata

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:03:25 AM
Last edit: April 07, 2013, 02:22:42 AM by Zendata

Honestly I would say its profitable if you can spend atleast $500. Getting 800 to 1.5GH will cover your electricity and generate profit. When the ASIC's come out thats a whole new ball game. But given the way all the ASIC's have been playing out recently it'll be a while until their presence has made an impact imo. Start now you'll come out on top, later on it'll just turn into a race to the first TH miner.

Edit: If your looking to build a top spec gaming pc. Why not go to newegg and sort by most expensive that coordinates with your budget? That seems to be the most viable solution.
newtothescene

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:12:07 AM

A lot of people like these cards http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667&Tpk=R7950%20TF%203GD5%2fOC&IsVirtualParent=1

The MSI Afterburner software can unlock the voltage, core/memory speed to allow for about 500 Mh/s for BTC mining.  Power usage is low and you can get 2-4 of these setup in a single "rig" pretty easily.  Looks like they are out of stock right now but I wish you luck.

New
nightbladexx

Activity: 16

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:23:14 AM

I just started mining bitcoin last week. With my current computer, I am only get about 130mhash.

I am thinking of customizing a mining rig with the best video card on the market. My budget is around $2000.

Please don't tell me to buy ASIC from BLY or Avalon, BLY is not even delivering, Avalon is not even selling now.

My logic of making a gaming machine is that, in the event that it is no longer profitable, at least I still own the machine and can play games with it. If I buy bitcoin now and the price drop, I am going to lose everything.

Can someone please guide me or recommend me?

For example:

Best motherboard:

Best RAM:

Best graphic card:

etc…

I really appreciate your input trying to help a newbie like me.

AMD 990 Motherboards brands is your choice, but my preference has always been ASUS or MSI

RAM depends on what you are planning to mine. BTC mining is just GPU dependent so it doesn't really need a good CPU or RAM, LTC mining uses your RAM and from what I have been reading requires about 8 GBs id spend a few bucks and buy some Corsair DDR3 1866 sticks, if for nothing else better resale

I have been getting 605 MH/s (BTC) and 640KH/s (LTC) using the MSI R7950 Twin Frozr at 65C @ 4500RPMs, MSI uses good quality parts and their cooling is very good ((see link in post above)) and also remember these suck about 250w of power each

if you are using 3 or 4 cards you will need to use PCI-e riser cables see http://www.cablesaurus.com/

I only use Corsair PSUs as I have had a great track record with them for myself and my customers, I build/repair systems as a business, plus I love the new i series PSUs being able to monitor the voltages live makes OC'ing a shit ton easier.

Another thing to consider is most PSUs are rated at 80%+ so if you have a 850w PSU that's only 80% certified its only going to give you 850*.8 = 680 under full load, so always check your PSUs rating, as once cheaper PSUs warm up their efficiency drops like a rock. So look for Gold or Platinum PSUs

Windows is easier in my opinion (i know windows well) but costs $100, where if you know Linux it can save you money

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:29:24 AM

if you have free electricity than you can use it to mine ltc profitably.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
nightbladexx

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:33:42 AM

if you have free electricity than you can use it to mine ltc profitably.

borrow your neighbors >Wink
3waystocross

Activity: 13

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:35:23 AM

if you have a mining rig hooked up to a solar panel and live near the equator...then yes?
Zendata

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:45:46 AM

if you have a mining rig hooked up to a solar panel and live near the equator...then yes?

How do you figure? If you have a disposable value of $2k and bought 2 miniquads (just using as example since I was just looking at them there are better options) at 1.6GH your making on a broad guess of $483 a month. Even if it takes a few months for ROI.
nightbladexx

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:56:16 AM

Solar Panel? lol you'd spend a fortune to get one big enough to use even if you lived in Phoenix AZ

Power Rates depend a lot on where you live in the world, I am currently paying .0803 kw/h + taxes

dazzle

Activity: 49

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 11:55:53 PM

A lot of people like these cards http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667&Tpk=R7950%20TF%203GD5%2fOC&IsVirtualParent=1

The MSI Afterburner software can unlock the voltage, core/memory speed to allow for about 500 Mh/s for BTC mining.  Power usage is low and you can get 2-4 of these setup in a single "rig" pretty easily.  Looks like they are out of stock right now but I wish you luck.

New

THanks for this. Really helped me a lot.

Planning to buy 7950's, but regardless of brand, will a powercolor do better than MSI?
rbdrbd

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 01:34:22 AM

I have a number (19) of Sapphire 7950s that have been doing well, and a few of the Gigabytes. GPU mining profitability will continue to sink with the SHA256-hashed coins due to ASIC I'm thinking, but we still have a lot of life in scrypt probably (e.g. Litecoin, Novacoin, Feathercoin).
mccminer

Activity: 88

View Profile
April 20, 2013, 03:12:22 AM

I would only recommend mining for those who are in it for the fun & learning.  If you're solely looking to profit, you'll likely go crazy with the large swings in BTC value lately.  If you're a geek like me though, you'll enjoy the challenge.  Grin 
dazzle

Activity: 49

View Profile
April 23, 2013, 11:57:42 PM

I have a number (19) of Sapphire 7950s that have been doing well, and a few of the Gigabytes. GPU mining profitability will continue to sink with the SHA256-hashed coins due to ASIC I'm thinking, but we still have a lot of life in scrypt probably (e.g. Litecoin, Novacoin, Feathercoin).

Thanks for this reply. Any recommendations where I can buy? My town sells this at $536 per card for the sapphire one and $292.56 for the powercolor brand. I was hoping if I can get it cheaper at other stores [they dont offer bulk discount for either sapphire or powercolor; there are no other brands available too]
Stoneysilence

Activity: 104

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:12:34 AM

Where is Here?
ThinkBitcoin

Activity: 3

View Profile
April 24, 2013, 12:44:26 AM

One thing that is hard to put into equation is the future price of bitcoin.

I think a top-end, efficient GPU mining game PC is still worth it because I can see the price rising in the future.

However, invest for the sake of gaming, not for mining.
sgbullion

Activity: 56

View Profile WWW
April 24, 2013, 01:21:52 AM

Go to newegg or tiger direct they have most of what you are looking for. You can build a good rig for well under the two k. so build a great gaming rig and put a dedicated gpu on it as well then when you are mining you will have three gpu's to use.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: