Bitcoin Forum
May 24, 2024, 03:50:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: CPU mining possible with any altcoin currently?  (Read 3590 times)
creamynebula (OP)

Activity: 173
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 09:20:16 PM

Hey, since im in this forum section obviously i'm new, but I have been reading the forum and the wiki for a while.
I currently don't own a gpu unfortunately, as far as my research pointed me, LTC and NVC seemed to be the only ones where cpu mining could still be viable due to them using scrypt instead of sha-256, so I decided to try mining NVC. My i3 processor with 4 cores mining with pooler-cpuminer 2.2.3 peaks at 12KH/s, the pool i'm mining in has 486 people mining at a total of 650MH/s, or an average of 1.45MH/s per user.
So my mining capacity is 0,8% of the pool average, which makes me think that LTC and NVC did not succeed in being GPU-resistant in a meaningful way since my cpu mining power is so weak.
So, my question is, is there any other altcoin that took the concept of gpu-resistant mining further for me to try? Or is there a different setup that if I tried could bring massive improvement in my cpu mining?
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 09:41:17 PM

Im sorry but you should give up before you blow your CPU if all you have is an i3

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
MaTachi

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Hack the planet!

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 09:45:50 PM

i3 isn't a fast CPU. And isn't it pointless to mine something nobody use?

@DanielJonss. On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.
creamynebula (OP)

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 09:54:56 PM

Thank  you both for your input, I didn't think that my processor performance would be 0,8% of the average one though...I know that's not exactly the case and that many people is GPU mining, and it turns out that they do give a big edge so the scrypt for gpu-resistance thing didn't work out, well I guess it can't be helped.
About the noone uses thing, I could switch to mining something else, its just that im starting out really, I only compiled the tools 2 days ago, if it turned out that cpu mining was viable for coins that use scrypt then I could mine them and exchange them for some bitcoins in the future... Litecoin seem to be decently popular too so maybe there are services that take it.
Gator-hex

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 09:57:13 PM

LiteCoin is your best bet.

vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:00:35 PM

sadly all alt coins are easily mined on gpus now to it not viable to do cpu mining on any coins im aware of litecoin wad atleast partly cpu based not long ago mainly because no one was interested in dedicating a gpu to it bit now its more profitable than bitcoin mining alot of people have started mining it

creamynebula (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 12:23:56 AM

I see, well thank you everyone, I guess I should get a job and build a computer with some GPUs to play with mining as well
uartasic

Activity: 177
Merit: 101

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 04:15:15 AM

hey there,

dont be put off if its just for fun.

i am currently using a laptop to cpu mine at 12khs

i am mining craftcoin for the kids and currently getting a whopping 1.5 coins every 3 days!!!!! almost retirment time. ha ha.

no its just for fun and the kids like to watch it mine and check on it. ah the school holidays. its also a coin they can use and talk about.

Crypto Vest coin fan \ Alt-Coin Blockchain Assembler \ BTC faithful \ POWR faithful
Mr.V

Activity: 182

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 06:16:23 AM

Hey, since im in this forum section obviously i'm new, but I have been reading the forum and the wiki for a while.
I currently don't own a gpu unfortunately, as far as my research pointed me, LTC and NVC seemed to be the only ones where cpu mining could still be viable due to them using scrypt instead of sha-256, so I decided to try mining NVC. My i3 processor with 4 cores mining with pooler-cpuminer 2.2.3 peaks at 12KH/s, the pool i'm mining in has 486 people mining at a total of 650MH/s, or an average of 1.45MH/s per user.
So my mining capacity is 0,8% of the pool average, which makes me think that LTC and NVC did not succeed in being GPU-resistant in a meaningful way since my cpu mining power is so weak.
So, my question is, is there any other altcoin that took the concept of gpu-resistant mining further for me to try? Or is there a different setup that if I tried could bring massive improvement in my cpu mining?

sorry bro but your cpu wouldn't even put a dent the size of an electron in the network. You need better equipment. Some ppl here have spent over $70k U.S. dollars on gpu's to mine ltc and nvc

BTC:1NwEE7C2hVLSNGwSrFvsYgTrKddCvfhRwY
lemfuture

Activity: 686
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 03, 2014, 06:18:26 AM

NYANcoin is for you!  they give bonus coin for slow miners

1ADLcfwTofFXb95pKhebpeRkJ4WTWsvQXB
btc-mike

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

View Profile