Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 06:31:44 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Litecoin with no updates for 9 months? What about flaws?  (Read 761 times)
twelph (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 09:51:19 PM

Wouldn't this mean that the serious flaws found in Bitcoins since then have not been fixed in the current version of Litecoins? I know that Litecoins mimic a large portion of the BTC codebase, I would think that more active development would be easier/quicker because of this. It would also be nice to see the core features of Litecoins be tweaked further.

Trustworthy Buyers: TTBit
nobbynobbynoob

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Annuit cœptis humanae libertas

View Profile WWW
April 06, 2013, 10:00:33 PM

I've heard on the grapevine that coblee's working on it.

Earn Free Bitcoins!   Earn bitcoin via BitcoinGet
BTC tip: 1PKkvuwC24Vqjv9odigXs1QVzE66jEJqmb (if <200 µBTC, please donate to charity)
LTC tip: LRqXaNdF79QHvhPpS5AZdEJZnLiNnAkJvq (if <Ł0,05, please donate to charity)
pekv2

Activity: 770
Merit: 502

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:19:47 PM

Coblee wants to stay one major release behind, so that if a major flaw is found in bitcoin source, litecoin will not be affected.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=47417.msg1726129#msg1726129

Litecoin will be updated to 0.8.1 soon. Like wtogami said, I had originally planned to stay 1 major version behind Bitcoin so that we don't get bit by a bad release. But as it turned out, the 0.8 hard fork just made it clear that there was an issue with old releases that could cause a hard fork even without 0.8. So wtogami and pooler will be helping me with rebasing the Litecoin code to 0.8.1. I do want to wait til May 15 to make sure that Bitcoin is able to handle the potential hard fork. Since the Litecoin community is much smaller, we should have even less of a problem. But it's better to be safe.
chriswen

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:20:24 PM

He's skipping to 0.8 though for the next one.
twelph (OP)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:30:19 PM

Litecoin will be updated to 0.8.1 soon. Like wtogami said, I had originally planned to stay 1 major version behind Bitcoin so that we don't get bit by a bad release. But as it turned out, the 0.8 hard fork just made it clear that there was an issue with old releases that could cause a hard fork even without 0.8. So wtogami and pooler will be helping me with rebasing the Litecoin code to 0.8.1. I do want to wait til May 15 to make sure that Bitcoin is able to handle the potential hard fork. Since the Litecoin community is much smaller, we should have even less of a problem. But it's better to be safe.

Could someone clarify this for me? Is the hard fork just more likely to happen because of the larger userbase of BTC? And once Litecoins grow to a considerable size compared to Bitcoins, would it be wiser to shorten this update gap?

Trustworthy Buyers: TTBit
jasinlee

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
April 06, 2013, 10:41:40 PM

Probably not, as you may have noticed, its benefited ltc to not grab up each upgrade in case there is an issue that can be avoided. BTC is ok as a ltc testnet Smiley

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: