Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 12:22:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lets get serious: commodities for bitcoins  (Read 1776 times)
bitsalame (OP)
Donator

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

Preaching the gospel of Satoshi

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:40:47 AM

I think this is the cornerstone for a solid -actual- economy.
What should be the first commodities acquirable through bitcoins, to enable an industry on bitcoins for customers with bitcoins.
With the shitload of money that we all have made the last days, we should just raise the ante to strengthen the bitcoin economy as a whole.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Charm Quark

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 02:42:36 AM

tHave you been to 'The Road' lately?
bitsalame (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:16:59 AM

What's that?
SuperZac

Activity: 14

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:29:58 AM

What's that?
Drugs. Drugs as far as the eye can see.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silk_Road_(marketplace)
bitsalame (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:54:42 AM

Ah, I see. Well, what I meant is this.
For example, those growers sell hemp or whatever they are growing for bitcoins.
But they are forced to exchange bitcoins to fiat currency for their supplies to keep the production.

What I aspire is having an economy that is self-sufficient with bitcoins. So the farmer can go and get whatever they need in supplies also in bitcoins. And the supplier also get whatever he needs in bitcoins.
A full-fledged bitcoin economy.

And all starts with commodities.
Can we get a network of farmers and suppliers to accept bitcoins? We could start from somewhere.
I mean, now I have enough financial freedom to spend time on dreams like this.
nebulus

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

... it only gets better...

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 03:58:21 AM

I think this is the cornerstone for a solid -actual- economy.
What should be the first commodities acquirable through bitcoins, to enable an industry on bitcoins for customers with bitcoins.
With the shitload of money that we all have made the last days, we should just raise the ante to strengthen the bitcoin economy as a whole.

+ 1

bitsalame (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 17, 2013, 04:41:04 AM

I just found an article that is precisely what I tried to transmit in this thread:
http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2013/04/exchange-rates?fsrc=rss
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 17, 2013, 06:24:56 AM

Going to be making some nice and simple silver necklaces with claw settings soon to sell for Bitcoins, are you saying my stuff isn't going to be good enough for you?! Tongue
yona

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 09:08:16 PM

Good idea, plus pushing it to start where bitcion is strong is like using lemos to make lemonade.
How do we get this from idea to practice?
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:21:57 PM

I've been saying this for a while.  It's going to be very difficult, unfortunately, because most of the early adopters do not seem to agree.  They see Bitcoin as a speculative investment, think that the current transaction costs (over $5 including subsidies) are reasonable, think that Bitcoin should compete with money transmitters, and that courting government regulation is a super good idea and the way forward.

They're wrong.

Actually lemon juice concentrate was one thing I considered. Cheesy

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:33:24 PM

We already have gold and silver being traded directly for bitcoin at numerous sites.

I think oil, gas or coal markets for bitcoin are the big ones. Since they are consumable commodities, essential to energy infrastructure and have highly liquid developed markets.

After that you get into the grains, softs, etc. Maybe just  need a commodities futures market denominated in bitcoin?

w1R903

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:35:46 PM

I've been saying this for a while.  It's going to be very difficult, unfortunately, because most of the early adopters do not seem to agree.  They see Bitcoin as a speculative investment, think that the current transaction costs (over $5 including subsidies) are reasonable, think that Bitcoin should compete with money transmitters, and that courting government regulation is a super good idea and the way forward.

I like your thinking.  I'd be much happier building a Bitcoin economy than watching the coin go to $1000.  Sure, I'd make good money, but that's not why I got in.  However, after watching Bitcoin volatility for the past 2+ years, I've always thought that the only way to attain a non-volatile coin was to first reach a high market cap.  Now, it may be that this is wrong, and that the best way to attain a non-volatile coin is to build a real economy first.  

BTW, where do you get the $5 figure?

4096R/F5EA0017
benjamindees
Legendary

Activity: 1330

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:45:16 PM

BTW, where do you get the $5 figure?

http://blockchain.info/stats

Cost Per Transaction    $7.47

Civil Liberty Through Complex Mathematics
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:46:18 PM

Ah, I see. Well, what I meant is this.
For example, those growers sell hemp or whatever they are growing for bitcoins.
But they are forced to exchange bitcoins to fiat currency for their supplies to keep the production.

What I aspire is having an economy that is self-sufficient with bitcoins. So the farmer can go and get whatever they need in supplies also in bitcoins. And the supplier also get whatever he needs in bitcoins.
A full-fledged bitcoin economy.

And all starts with commodities.
Can we get a network of farmers and suppliers to accept bitcoins? We could start from somewhere.
I mean, now I have enough financial freedom to spend time on dreams like this.
The foundation would be
(1) food (not much going on)
(2) rent (ontario, NYC, somewhere-else-in-the-US-can't-remember, Germany)
(3) energy (not much going on)
(4) health services (dentist in Finland)
(5) salaries (archive.org, p2p foundation)
(6) entertainment (?)

There must be more examples I missed, and I am too busy to provide links ATM.
Some people claim it is a mistake to keep trying to form local economies based on currency that is inherently global and on-line; we should instead focus on on-line use cases. I disagree - I think we should focus on hot-spots (New Hampshire, Finland, Sweden) to try and reach critical mass of diverse offerings in the same place.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 10:56:30 PM

Convince commodity exporters in Argentina to accept BTC as payment, then find importers who are willing to Argentine exports with BTC.
w1R903

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 11:11:11 PM

The foundation would be
(1) food (not much going on) http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20130417-908270.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
(5) salaries (archive.org, p2p foundation) Lots of freelancers are doing more and more business in Bitcoin (me included)
(6) entertainment (?) many, many artists are selling their albums and artwork for bitcoin.  Mostly indies at this point.  But I see a new announcement every day almost.  For example: https://i.imgur.com/cnE0ISm.png

Made a few additions.  It's a good list.  I like it as a foundation for consumer Bitcoin use.

But I like the idea of Bitcoins for commodities, too.

4096R/F5EA0017
bitsalame (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 18, 2013, 11:25:46 PM
Last edit: April 19, 2013, 12:50:52 AM by bitsalame

The foundation would be
(1) food (not much going on) http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20130417-908270.html?mod=googlenews_wsj
(5) salaries (archive.org, p2p foundation) Lots of freelancers are doing more and more business in Bitcoin (me included)
(6) entertainment (?) many, many artists are selling their albums and artwork for bitcoin.  Mostly indies at this point.  But I see a new announcement every day almost.  For example: https://i.imgur.com/cnE0ISm.png

Made a few additions.  It's a good list.  I like it as a foundation for consumer Bitcoin use.

But I like the idea of Bitcoins for commodities, too.

The problem is that these services are spread across the world, a side effect of a global decentralized economy.
We must have at least a small micro-community adopting it, anyone interested in buying a town?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buford,_Wyoming
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/09/us-usa-town-auction-idUSBRE83802Q20120409

Edit: There are a few more towns for sale, and if we pool the money we might be able to buy one collectively and shit will definitely get serious!
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/12-towns-sale-pray-mont-auction-launches/story?id=16653510#.UXCDCqJZ3AM
Btw, any product purchased in fiat currency and sold in bitcoins should be considered an imported good... until it is solely 100% produced/sustained under bitcoin economy.

Edit 2: Maybe not as extreme as buying a town (although it would be really cool), but organizing local communities to accept bitcoins.
The real problem is that we have all these goods and services spread around the world, it is extremely impractical unless it is a specialty item.
For things we need day to day, we must need a local community accepting bitcoins in every major city or town.
libertine

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 12:42:17 AM

i will happily trade 1st class uk stamps for some BTC.
jaime

Activity: 339
Merit: 250

División de Poderes s.XXI es Descentralización

View Profile WWW
April 19, 2013, 10:33:48 AM

Convince commodity exporters in Argentina to accept BTC as payment, then find importers who are willing to Argentine exports with BTC.

Really the best way to go now, the downside is that will bring up another bubble.  Undecided

bitsalame (OP)
Donator

View Profile
April 19, 2013, 05:06:41 PM

Really the best way to go now, the downside is that will bring up another bubble.  Undecided
You must know the definition of bubble.
An increase in the price is not a bubble doesn't classify as bubble.
A bubble is about an unjustified increase of price, a divergence between its extrinsical value from its intrinsical value.

If prices increase because its utility gets improved, it is not a bubble, but an actual appreciation of its value.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: