Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:20:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some oddity on youtube - asked to verify again.  (Read 451 times)
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:07:47 AM

Ah okay - I'm not losing any sleep over this, but I'd like to hear your opinion.

First off, I don't really have anything to hide - but as many bitcoiners, I value my privacy.

We've all been presented with the 'verify' my account when logging onto youtube or a google product, I would assume. Like having an sms sent to your cell, and then entering this code on youtube or whatever google-product asks for.

The fact is that I recently did this, and I thought it was odd, because I clearly remember I verified the account a long time ago with my cell. However, I thought they just needed to reverify, perhaps I'd changed cell number after all these years.

Then - just recently - in fact just a couple of minutes ago, I logged in to youtube again - and the screen was there again, asking me to verify. I ignored it, as I don't think that's necessary, as I did it a short while ago.

But here's the thing... Very recently I made a comment on a youtube video from a big news agency about bitcoin. The comment was like any other comment, not containing anything that should raise any flags or eye-brows. Just praising one of the persons being interviewed actually.

Then I remembered a hacker news article recently about a man that was spied on by a governmental agency in the US. He was a person who did white hat hacking, finding security holes in software. He said something to the extent of google telling you without really telling you that your account is being watched. And the way they did it, if I remember correctly is to ask you to reverify your account, by receiving a sms by text and entering the code.

So I'm wondering, is the NSA running some kind of program that flags 'interesting' accounts on youtube/google and collects more information about it, and google notifies us with by asking for reverification ?

I already know that basically by using google - I'm owned, as they target the adds according to my surfing habbits and collect lot's of info about me. For all I know, they may already be compiling databases of bitcoin users, for whatever purpose - perhaps anti-terrorist purposes. Not that they'll find anything worth looking at, as I'm not into nefarious stuff, but it makes me think. Perhaps I should go with duckduckgo.com from now on ? I think I turned off saving my surfing history on google, but I guess they collect it anyway.. Preferrably nobody should collect any of my surfing habits, I think.

What do you think, is the question to reverify the account just coincidental, or does it have anything to do with me commenting on that bitcoin video ? There's nothing else that sticks out as any reason to ask me to re-verify.

Boy - it would be interesting to know exactly what FBI, CIA and NSA are up to with all their surveilance programs. Does anyone actually know how extensive all of this is ?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 04:31:16 AM

Yesterday, I was logged into Google via my barn wood account, but needed to log off and resign in with my Phin account so that I could upload a video. The overlaid screen gave me the option to verify or do it later. I opted for the later, whereupon I could go no further no matter how hard I tried. I eventually went ahead and verified, thinking all along something was strange, even so slightly thinking what's outlined in the OP. Now, I'm thinking even more.

Something happened yesterday pertaining to my 11y/o nephew and what he does on TV with the games. The police came over to the house and asked if he was okay. It seems all he did was sign up to FaceBook for the very first time via the TV. Then he was in conversation with some girl his age from school. Something transpired, then the cops showed up. Everything turned out okay, with the exception that my nephew ain't got a clue as to what he did wrong.

A couple hours ago, I Google image the word arrowhead and lo and behold on the second line was not one, but two images of goats. The forth or fifth row contained an image I've seen on BitcoinTalk. Them starting to scare me!
Herodes (OP)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 04:38:37 AM

Yesterday, I was logged into Google via my barn wood account, but needed to log off and resign in with my Phin account so that I could upload a video. The overlaid screen gave me the option to verify or do it later. I opted for the later, whereupon I could go no further no matter how hard I tried. I eventually went ahead and verified, thinking all along something was strange, even so slightly thinking what's outlined in the OP. Now, I'm thinking even more.

Something happened yesterday pertaining to my 11y/o nephew and what he does on TV with the games. The police came over to the house and asked if he was okay. It seems all he did was sign up to FaceBook for the very first time via the TV. Then he was in conversation with some girl his age from school. Something transpired, then the cops showed up. Everything turned out okay, with the exception that my nephew ain't got a clue as to what he did wrong.

A couple hours ago, I Google image the word arrowhead and lo and behold on the second line was not one, but two images of goats. The forth or fifth row contained an image I've seen on BitcoinTalk. Them starting to scare me!

Good thing is that the nephew didn't talk to some farm girl, or else some sheeps may have showed up!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: