Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 06:17:39 PM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AVALON ASICS ON SILK ROAD......SCAM ?  (Read 730 times)
bitcoinologist (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:07:00 AM

Hi,

Recently saw Batch#2 avalon asics for sale on SILK ROAD.

New account, no feedback. claiming 10 Machines for sale, no escrow etc etc.

Regardless of whether this is "really" avalon or just another scammer trying it on I am curious what others think of avalon.

I have read much and there is clearly very mixed views on the whole BFL/Avalon ASIC hardware for sale.

I really "want" to believe and buy one...but...instinct says..perfect scam.

One, its bitcoin only, I know they justify it, but many ways to send money around the world. Bitcoin is best if you want no traces, and no chance to be hounded after...doing a runner.
Two, I have a business too, and I have to buy my stock, hardware, then sell it. I don't expect customers to pay up front while I piss around getting the stock on a no refund, hopefully if all goes well, I shall send it to you basis.
Three..and most damning, the logic. A avalon Machine costs on say  28BTC....crack one block and its paid for almost, profit potential is enormous.
If I had access to...ooh...2-300 ASICS machines, able to crunch that many bitcoins....would I sell them to anyone..? yeah right..
So..why sell them ?

Just curious what others make of this ? and if anyone has successfully bought and received one, if it works, etc etc.

Thank You

dust

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
April 07, 2013, 09:11:44 AM

SCAM?
Yes.

Avalon sent out this email to their list today (link altered for anti-SEO purposes):
Quote from: Avalon
h t t p : / / w w w .b i t c o i n a v a l o n . c o m 
is NOT an official Avalon ASIC site.
We've gotten several emails asking for confirmation and here it is.

It has also been brought to our attention that there is sellers on Silkroad and Atlantis claiming to be "Yifu" or "Xiangfu" selling Avalon ASICs, since we did NOT make these listings, you can be sure they are scams and not just unofficial re-sellers.

Cryptocoin Mining Info | OTC | PGP | Twitter | freenode: dust-otc | BTC: 1F6fV4U2xnpAuKtmQD6BWpK3EuRosKzF8U
bitcoinologist (OP)

Activity: 42

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 09:46:48 AM

OK,thank you

I can post a link to listing if others want see so they can avoid it.
http://silkroadvb5piz3r.onion/silkroad/item/5c1e5fee79

What are you views on my other questions if you don't mind me asking ?
balladeer

Activity: 4

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:44:10 AM

It seems Avalon is legit since several people have received their ASIC miners and are presumably making a lot of money right now. 

I was just looking at their site - am I getting this right?  They're asking 75 btc for their batch 3 miners?  That's over USD$11000 at the current btc prices. 

It might not be a scam, but it seems like highway robbery.  As the ASICs keep rolling out and the difficulty increases, would a potential miner even be able to make their money back?  Especially factoring in the 620 watt power consumption.

martynw2000

Activity: 117
Merit: 10

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:49:38 AM

The high price is surely good for us lesser mortals who have to make do with GPUs.

Why would someone invest $11,000 on a device that may/may not pay for itself. By the time those batch 3 miners come out the difficulty rate will be much higher. I'm hoping no-one will buy them tbh.
Minertor

Activity: 8

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:57:14 AM

Seems to be a lot of scams on eBay etc too. I'm sure some people have fell for it.
YUSOAWESOMe

Activity: 36

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 12:01:10 PM

Who even has a asic in theyr hands? i mean, everyone who ordered such thing has payd 1: too much 2: blindly trusted those companys without even knowing if they HAVE Asic's. They probably are laughing theyr ass of right now, they obviously can get away with this shit, as bitcoins ARE anonymous....
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: