Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 06:20:23 PM *
News: Help 1Dq create 15th anniversary forum artwork.

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bloated little newbie-wallet, is it possible to fix?  (Read 396 times)
Pellefot (OP)

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:05:02 AM

Hi! Im a new Bitcoin-guy trying my best to learn and understand this system.
I have been playing around with the free-bitcoin-sites and gotten my wallet loaded with 1.5 mBTC with 43 transactions.
I have two questions im unable to figure out by lurking and reading:

1)
From what i can understand receiving transaction under 0.1 mBTC is useless as your wallet file grows with each transaction and when you want to spend the BTC the fee will eat the amount away.
Im thinking now ill stop with the micro-handouts but the BTC i have already got, can i transfer it to a new wallet and get a clean file? Would i get a one-transaction-wallet with 1.5 mBTC or would all previous transactions be transferred so the new walletfile is the same size?

2)
Willl the transaction be possible without fee? (Otherwise i get nothing) Would keeping the 1.5 mBTC and transacting in say a month make it a higher priority transaction due to coin age? Or can i make the transaction now and the longer the transaction is ignored due to no fee its priority grows to the point it would be included in a few weeks or say month?

A big thanks to anyone willing to share knowledge about this.
clanie

Activity: 54
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 11:26:18 AM

Yes, you can send your 1.5 mBTC to another wallet without a fee. It might take some time, but should go through eventualy.

There's not really any reason to do that, though. Your wallet doesn't really hold the transactions - they are in the blockchain, which is like a ledger containing all bitcoin transactions ever made. Your wallet just holds your addresses and the keys enabling you to spend the bitcoins sent to your addresses.

Or, at least, that is how I think it works - I'm as new here as you are, so I might be wrong  Smiley
vm1990
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 01:27:29 PM

ok it wouldnt make a diffrence as to make them bitcoins is alot of little coins its something similar to $1 being made up of change its going to stay like that ransfering it wont make any diffrence as the $1 is still made up from coins.

the wallets are so big because they contain the block chain cant do much about it other than using and online wallet

the idea about the micro payment sites is you save it up to lets say 0.1 bitcoins then you spend it on what you want

you can choose not to have a transaction fee but it does take longer to get through the network (very rare its longer than 12 hours)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: