Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:09:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My account got hacked  (Read 2231 times)
ahmedjadoon (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 08:13:52 AM

I just logged into my account and found over a dozen of private messages that were sent/received from my account without my knowledge in last 24 hours. And some negative feedback on my account. It's possible that hacker made scam trades as well.
I have no idea what to do. Please advise.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Invulner

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

Invulner

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 08:19:32 AM

I just logged into my account and found over a dozen of private messages that were sent/received from my account without my knowledge in last 24 hours. And some negative feedback on my account. It's possible that hacker made scam trades as well.
I have no idea what to do. Please advise.

You'll probably have to repay your debts, unfortunately to the scammed because it was your fault for not securing your account properly in my opinion and otherwise your neg trust will probably never be removed.

Harsh but it's the truth... Lots of scammers trying to use "hacked" as a cover since there is no way to prove that an account is hacked but not actually just the owner changing his password and resetting email etc. from a remote destination.

That said though, personally I believe you. But it's really bad luck, and 1.5 BTC is a lot.
ahmedjadoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 08:21:00 AM

Email address associated with my account was changed to "Shersher4u12@aim.com" and bitcoin address on my profile was also changed to 1JmhzYRUNWqTDVLo1UejN7e1C87sitNMBP by hacker.

My Keybase address was not interfered with. He didn't change account password so I was directly logged into my forun account when I opened bitcointalk.
I started off by changing back my password, email and profile bitcoin address
Invulner

Invulner

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 08:22:42 AM

Email address associated with my account was changed to "Shersher4u12@aim.com" and bitcoin address on my profile was also changed to 1JmhzYRUNWqTDVLo1UejN7e1C87sitNMBP by hacker.

My Keybase address was not interfered with. He didn't change account password so I was directly logged into my forun account when I opened bitcointalk.

First off, sign a message both on an aged bitcoin address as well as a PGP signature if you have one to prove that it is actually you, and not actually the scammer/hacker posting on this account right now?

All I can see is password changed 8:15.
mocacinno
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4922

https://merel.mobi => buy facemasks with BTC/LTC

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2016, 08:24:15 AM

Make sure your computer is 100% clean. They accessed your account, but didn't change your password.
This could either mean they know your password, but didn't want to attract any attention to themselfs by changing it OR it could mean they don't know your password either, but they used your computer to post scam threads (since you need to know your password in order to change your password).

I would advice to boot from a clean linux distro, change your password and email from within the clean environment to a new/unique/random one, make sure you have a staked address,.
Afterwards, i'd scan, rescan, re-rescan or even re-install your pc (if unsure), then i'd start to find out who got scammed by your hacker.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Invulner

Invulner

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 08:26:31 AM

Make sure your computer is 100% clean. They accessed your account, but didn't change your password.
This could either mean they know your password, but didn't want to attract any attention to themselfs by changing it OR it could mean they don't know your password either, but they used your computer to post scam threads (since you need to know your password in order to change your password).

I would advice to boot from a clean linux distro, change your password and email to a new/unique/random one, make sure you have a staked address,.

I am pretty certain that the hacker didn't change the password because they didn't want to bring attention to themselves as to being the unrightful owner of the account, because when you change your password it shows up in seclog and your trust page and makes it more suspicious.

A thing or two here to be learned - should the seclog include email changes as well so that we can document the exact time an account is compromised, if the account hacker chooses not to change the password?
ahmedjadoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 08:28:14 AM

First off, sign a message both on an aged bitcoin address as well as a PGP signature if you have one to prove that it is actually you, and not actually the scammer/hacker posting on this account right now?

I'll look into what I can do. But, my Keybase account    https://keybase.io/ahmedjadoon is there on my forum profile and hacker didn't modify/change it. The affected person would have verified my identity by Keybase. I shouldn't be blamed entirely for this situation.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2016, 08:29:09 AM

-snip-
A thing or two here to be learned - should the seclog include email changes as well so that we can document the exact time an account is compromised, if the account hacker chooses not to change the password?

Restoring the account via e-mail will result in a lock ban until the owner can verify themselves.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Invulner

Invulner

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 08:31:00 AM

-snip-

Restoring the account via e-mail will result in a lock ban until the owner can verify themselves.

I was talking about changing the email address of an account without changing the password nor resetting the password via an email account.

I'll look into what I can do. But, my Keybase account    https://keybase.io/ahmedjadoon is there on my forum profile and hacker didn't modify/change it. The affected person would have verified my identity by Keybase. I shouldn't be blamed entirely for this situation.

Yes, by no means you are the only person responsible. Nobody knows when someone will hack you. I'm not blaming you.

It's just that it's hard to prove that you are actually hacked and you are likely to have to repay the damage the hacker has done to be able to get your neg trust removed Sad You could sort out some compensation plan with the buyer, I'd say that repaying 70% of the damage would make him pretty happy Cheesy
ahmedjadoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 08:40:20 AM

I sent a warning PM to 5 persons the hacker communicated with from my account.
The sent messages appeared in outbox.

-snip-

My account was not locked. Maybe, because I just changed the email address. Didn't reset password.
ahmedjadoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 10:27:44 AM

Here are screenshots of the PM's received by hacker

ahmedjadoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 10:41:55 AM

Messages sent by hacker

url=http://images.snoork.com/view_image.php?url=images/1096689478_Screenshot_2016-11-28-15-31-32.png][/url]

DimensionZ

Activity: 350

Shit, did I leave the stove on?

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 11:10:27 AM

When was the last time you used your account here and for how long you haven't logged onto the forum?
You might want to redo your passwords for other sites if you have used the same one at multiple places.

fiscorcle

Activity: 994
Merit: 502

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 11:51:26 AM

That is screwed up. To not have control of your account and that person who sent to you over $1000 in btc. That is insane! Shocked
You should pay him back because that was not his fault in seeing your previous trades.
Unexperienced members do not know what to look for when trading and are blinded sometimes with just trying to get a trade done fast which is the easiest for them to complete and be done.
ahmedjadoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 11:51:54 AM

When was the last time you used your account here and for how long you haven't logged onto the forum?
You might want to redo your passwords for other sites if you have used the same one at multiple places.
I made my last post on 25 November and I last logged in yesterday. I think a few hours before this hack.

That is screwed up. To not have control of your account and that person who sent to you over $1000 in btc. That is insane! Shocked
You should pay him back because that was not his fault in seeing your previous trades.
Unexperienced members do not know what to look for when trading and are blinded sometimes with just trying to get a trade done fast which is the easiest for them to complete and be done.
It's easy for you to say pay back. That is 1.05BTC I need to send for no fault of my own.
The victim need to take major responsibility here. He didn't use escrow. He didn't pay heed to the warning on my profile: "email address changed recently", he didn't verify keybase.io which was visible on my bitcointalk profile.
If Bitcointalk.org was not using this crappy forum software with no two-factor verification for accounts, we would all be safer.

I'm really hurt for the member's loss. And I'm not saying no to helping him out as much as I can but I would need more sensible views from the bitcointalk community in this regard.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 12:09:57 PM

It's easy for you to say pay back. That is 1.05BTC I need to send for no fault of my own.
The victim need to take major responsibility here. He didn't use escrow. He didn't pay heed to the warning on my profile: "email address changed recently", he didn't verify keybase.io which was visible on my bitcointalk profile.
If Bitcointalk.org was not using this crappy forum software with no two-factor verification for accounts, we would all be safer.

I'm really hurt for the member's loss. And I'm not saying no to helping him out as much as I can but I would need more sensible views from the bitcointalk community in this regard.

It is generally agreed that you have to stand by the actions of your account, even if it is hacked.
Otherwise, too many scammers will cry 'hacked' after cheating their victims.
KWH
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1045

In Collateral I Trust.

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 12:11:34 PM

I made my last post on 25 November and I last logged in yesterday. I think a few hours before this hack.

It has already been established on this forum that you are responsible for your accounts actions. Account security is the responsibility of the account owner. It is far too easy to claim you were hacked then get your account cleaned with a made up story. The only way to restore your good standing is to work out restitution with those your account scammed. This has come up before and this is what the solution was.
Sorry it happened if you are indeed a victim but it is what it is.

When the subject of buying BTC with Paypal comes up, I often remember this: 

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein
ahmedjadoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 01:16:03 PM

It has already been established on this forum that you are responsible for your accounts actions. Account security is the responsibility of the account owner. It is far too easy to claim you were hacked then get your account cleaned with a made up story. The only way to restore your good standing is to work out restitution with those your account scammed. This has come up before and this is what the solution was.
Sorry it happened if you are indeed a victim but it is what it is.
Thanks for your input. But, I'm not going to give in to any wrong traditions established at this forum. Lets consider that I send 1.5BTC to the victim now. Since, I can't stay online 24x7 to check if my account is hacked or not. If my bitcointalk account is hacked again tonight and another stupid trader sends 5BTC without checking my profile, do I have to pay him back too?
There is no security measure at this crappy forum to prevent account compromise. There should be at least two-factor authentication. Until the forum software is improved to provide account protection, this should be responsibility of the buyer to verify identity and use escrow.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2016, 01:32:45 PM

-snip-
Thanks for your input. But, I'm not going to give in to any wrong traditions established at this forum. Lets consider that I send 1.5BTC to the victim now. Since, I can't stay online 24x7 to check if my account is hacked or not. If my bitcointalk account is hacked again tonight and another stupid trader sends 5BTC without checking my profile, do I have to pay him back too?

How bad is your password that you have to fear its hacked again right away? Do you reuse it on other sites? Registered somewhere bitcoin related recently with the same password?

There is no security measure at this crappy forum to prevent account compromise. There should be at least two-factor authentication. Until the forum software is improved to provide account protection, this should be responsibility of the buyer to verify identity and use escrow.

Yes, buyer beware. The forum wasnt hacked though, your account was. If your password is '123456' or you reuse it everywhere it does not matter how good or bad the security of the fourm is.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
ahmedjadoon (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2016, 01:40:28 PM

-snip-

How bad is your password that you have to fear its hacked again right away? Do you reuse it on other sites? Registered somewhere bitcoin related recently with the same password?

Yes, buyer beware. The forum wasnt hacked though, your account was. If your password is '123456' or you reuse it everywhere it does not matter how good or bad the security of the fourm is.
My password was not easy. It was difficult and I did not use it everywhere. I updated my password to even better but since there is not a single security measure at this forum like email confirmation if IP/location changes, I can never be sure that my account is safe.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: