Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:51:41 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I sold everything at $158/159 this morning  (Read 20712 times)
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 10:55:30 PM

That's nothing.  Back around Feburary I shorted a small fortune in bitcoins because I thought, "There's no way that Bitcoins could surge beyond $80 apiece in the next two weeks!"

I was wrong, and as a result lost a life-changing number of bitcoins.  Had I not done that one wager, I would be able to retire and move to a warmer climate by now.  And I'm not exaggerating.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Rampion
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:02:06 PM

That's nothing.  Back around Feburary I shorted a small fortune in bitcoins because I thought, "There's no way that Bitcoins could surge beyond $80 apiece in the next two weeks!"

I was wrong, and as a result lost a life-changing number of bitcoins.  Had I not done that one wager, I would be able to retire and move to a warmer climate by now.  And I'm not exaggerating.

Well, check this out (http://np.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1r88vl/need_advice_on_inheritance_arbitrage_family_etc/) and then we speak about pain and slaughter.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:04:11 PM

Remember, Bitcoin will be inflationary till +2030.

Technically, Bitcoin will be inflationary until about 2140.  Although the inflation rate will be very, very small after about 2040.  The block reward will be under 1 bitcoin around 2033, if I did my head math correctly, but just imagine how much that will be worth by then!

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

beetcoin

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:06:16 PM

Well, check this out (http://np.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1r88vl/need_advice_on_inheritance_arbitrage_family_etc/) and then we speak about pain and slaughter.

that's even worse, yeah.. because that guy wasn't even sending his money to invest.. but his sister's as well. that makes me hate the shit out of him, compared to moonshadow who just spent his own money.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:10:18 PM

Well, that guy obviously has a block with learning that there are some risks that some people can't manage.  He needs to put that money into a CD or trust, and leave it for his sister.  I lost a fortune, but I learned that I shouldn't be gambling with bitcoins like it was monopoly money.

beetcoin

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:11:33 PM

Well, that guy obviously has a block with learning that there are some risks that some people can't manage.  He needs to put that money into a CD or trust, and leave it for his sister.  I lost a fortune, but I learned that I shouldn't be gambling with bitcoins like it was monopoly money.

too late now. the ironic thing is that he has a degree in psychology, yet he falls for the bear traps and shows signs of a classic gambling addict.
Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:13:23 PM

I thought we all agreed on something: one does not simply short bitcoins.

tondaS

Activity: 122
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:13:34 PM

You played the game safe. But you helped others to make some profit as well, so you cannot feel too bad
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:29:07 PM

Doesn't matter what you might agree about.  It only matters what's possible.  Someone's going to ingore your agreement.

MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:29:37 PM

You played the game safe. But you helped others to make some profit as well, so you cannot feel too bad

Well, I don't feel too bad really.  I didn't bet them all, just a lot.

Rampion
Legendary

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:45:56 PM

Doesn't matter what you might agree about.  It only matters what's possible.  Someone's going to ingore your agreement.

I just meant that shorting bitcoins seems extremely reckless given how BTC has behaved in his short history, I though you would have agreed since you've been into BTC since the days in which it was worth nothing.

miner2002

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:48:34 PM

LOL, poor OP! I guess 15 years of experience doesn't translate to bitcoin trading!
beetcoin

View Profile
November 25, 2013, 11:50:14 PM

LOL, poor OP! I guess 15 years of experience doesn't translate to bitcoin trading!

next step, he's could make his own youtube channel and then talk about how much more experience he is, and how everybody is so dumb (in certain terms)  Cheesy
LagerFan

Activity: 8

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:17:41 AM

I'm new around here but thanks for posting this link ... it really struck a chord as I managed to lose a bunch of BTC recently (though nothing like this guy!) trying to play the market game of selling high and buying low intra-day... thinking I knew better. Tough lesson to learn but in future I'll sit on my remaining stash and encourage anyone else to think long and hard before trying this.
MoonShadow
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 12:25:16 AM

Doesn't matter what you might agree about.  It only matters what's possible.  Someone's going to ingore your agreement.

I just meant that shorting bitcoins seems extremely reckless given how BTC has behaved in his short history, I though you would have agreed since you've been into BTC since the days in which it was worth nothing.

Yeah, that's true.  It seems to me that everytime bitcoin surges to new highs, about a week or so later it crashes back down to half or so of the high, but it never gets down to the prior lows.  So the march to infinity has been two steps forward, one step back all the way.  But the one time I bet against a still higher high, bitcoin breaks it's pattern and does a double peak within a week without the crash to half value in the middle.  Sucks to be me, but that's what happened.  The moral of the story, don't assume that there is a pattern to bitcoin market movements.

kingscrown

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

http://fuk.io - check it out!

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2013, 02:15:50 AM

im sure u wish u didnt sell Wink

claytonr

Activity: 6

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 02:24:24 AM

I bet you are disappointed in yourself.
Shockwavesix

Activity: 14

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:13:04 AM

I did much the same thing, sadly.  The first full Bitcoin that I mined, I sold at about $120.  By the time the price had spiked to $330 or so, I sold the .70 bitcoin I had accumulated by then, figuring that a crash HAD to be imminent. Whoops.

I was still paying off my mining hardware, so it doesn't make me feel like too much of an idiot. I used a "no interest if paid off in 6 months" promotion from a credit card when making the hardware purchase, so I'm only out of pocket for what I haven't earned back in that time period, and after that its pure profit. 
beetcoin

View Profile
November 26, 2013, 03:20:00 AM

i love how people go gravedigging when someone makes a strong stance on something that doesn't pan out. maybe that'll prevent people from trying to look like know-it-alls.
jjtech

Activity: 55

View Profile
December 05, 2013, 05:24:20 PM

I'm wondering how his orders for $30 are going:) It is one thing to sell everything at some price and think it's ok, and the other go out on the forum and start teasing and laughing off people:) It's a bully beatdown
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: