Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 04:27:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving BTCs from one pocket to another. (no miners involved)  (Read 427 times)
Arvie (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 06:12:45 PM

Is it possible to transfer BTCs from one client (say MultiBit) to another (say Armory, or e.g. an Android mobile client such as Bitcoin Wallet) without actually doing a BTC transfer trhough the miners? Suppose I am the owner of wallets that are managed by different softwares. I would not be paying myself, but just moving money from one pocket to another.

How To?
R2D221

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 06:40:16 PM

You could import your keys from one client to other, but technically you're not transferring anything. You're just looking at the same address from different clients.

An economy based on endless growth is unsustainable.
Arvie (OP)

View Profile
April 07, 2013, 08:28:57 PM

Yes, understood.
But in that way I cannot move only part of one wallet to another wallet of my own?
R2D221

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 12:31:24 AM

A wallet is a collection of addresses. Sometimes your total amount is split in the addresses because of the change received in transaction and to preserve anonymity.
If you could import one address to a wallet (I only use MultiBit, I don't know about other clients), then you can “move” your money from a wallet to another, but the amount moved is fixed. If you want to move an arbitrary amount, then you must make a transaction.

Anyway, I don't understand why you don't want to make a transaction.

Arvie (OP)

View Profile
April 08, 2013, 07:50:15 PM

Thanks R2D2211
Why not to make a transaction?
Well a transaction implies costs. That is reasonable as long as a transaction is made between owners of money (a service or a product is paid and the payment is taxed - or made possible by the provider of money). But it is not reasonable if money is involved of which you are already the owner, without any payment. Shifting money from one pocket to another is not a transaction (at least not in economic lingo)

R2D221

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 04:44:50 AM

You can send bitcoins with no fee and the transaction may be accepted (or maybe not). You should try it; the worst that can happen is that the money is not sent at all.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: